Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:09 AM

11,875 posts, read 6,227,108 times

Advertisements

OP says, "But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then 'attempt to commit a crime' might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction".

If you are doing something lawful in another state not of your residence, you can't be "attempting to commit a crime". If it is only a crime in your state and not the other state, then you can't be "attempting to commit a crime". It is not a crime in the state where you are going.

Prostition is legal in most of Nevada. If a call girl goes to Nevada to work in a legal brothel, she is not "attempting to commit a crime", since it is not a crime in Nevada.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,873,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
What are abortion papers?

Strip search all people* and their luggage, phones, tablets, vehicles, boats etc prior to allowing them to board any outbound flight or exit via land or water

* potential birthing people, regardless of physical appearance.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:28 AM

24,659 posts, read 17,395,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
It's disturbing that this even asked...

I was thinking the same and I wonder which side of the aisle the OP is on.

This is America and we have the Freedom to travel from state to state without going through a check point. I do not think anyone but the Extreme Righties would have an issue with a woman going across state lines to get an abortion.

What is ironic is how many on the Left have issues with Borders (well maybe not our Southern Border) But whenever I hear the word Border I start thinking about Kyle Rittenhouse and how the Left kept attacking him on the made up evidence that he traveled across a state line with an AR15!

In my state of Mass, recreational pot is Legal. I'm sure there are many people that come here as tourists and imbibe in the Devil's cabbage and then they go back home where it is against the law. I always wondered how an employer that does drug testing deals with an employee that had some edibles while on vacation in a state where it is legal?

My politics lean to the Right and I do not think Abortion should be illegal and if a woman needs to travel outside her state to get one that should not be a crime. Still it is all about viability of that fetus. If that same woman drove out of state and did not return with her 2 year old that might raise some questions.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:32 AM

24,659 posts, read 17,395,308 times
I just had another thought. If the woman has to travel out of her state for the medical procedure of abortion and she uses her health insurance to pay for it this would be a way for that state where it is illegal to prosecute her. The state could have a red flag type of law that scans insurance for key words.

What a can of worms.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:32 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,334,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What are abortion papers?

Strip search all people* and their luggage, phones, tablets, vehicles, boats etc prior to allowing them to board any outbound flight or exit via land or water

* potential birthing people, regardless of physical appearance.

We could skip all that by just requiring travel permits for women and perhaps requiring a male relative to accompany them everywhere they go.
It's really for their protection.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:35 AM

29,724 posts, read 14,807,398 times
GOP voter here. Abortions are a necessary evil in today's society. They shouldn't be illegal anywhere. What does need to be done though, is how late they can be done should have a limit unless in certain rare cases. Now, how long into the pregnancy that is, I have no idea. I think the medical community should be the ones to pick that.

The sickening thing though, is how front and center the focus is on this. There are much larger issues within our country right now, yet the media wants you to think abortion is the only thing we should all be talking about right now.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:39 AM

16,913 posts, read 10,632,438 times
Only if Congress prohibits it by statute.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-05-2022, 07:42 AM

32,832 posts, read 19,549,473 times
Quote:
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
huh..??

Old 08-05-2022, 07:44 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,471,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
GOP voter here. Abortions are a necessary evil in today's society. They shouldn't be illegal anywhere. What does need to be done though, is how late they can be done should have a limit unless in certain rare cases. Now, how long into the pregnancy that is, I have no idea. I think the medical community should be the ones to pick that.

The sickening thing though, is how front and center the focus is on this. There are much larger issues within our country right now, yet the media wants you to think abortion is the only thing we should all be talking about right now.
LOL. Republican politicians caused this. Can't blame it on the media.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 AM

11,241 posts, read 8,344,327 times
Quote:

Another advocate of establishing "Howdy Arabia".

Why would ANY American support soviet style laws that restrict freedoms AND THEN imprison people to leave? I thought the argument was for "states rights" and that you all said that states can make their own laws, and if people don't like it, they can go to states they do like. Now you want to put up Soviet style walls like East Berlin, and imprison people rather than let them go?

It actually warms my heart to see all the responses, especially from conservatives who are against Abortion, but still agree people should be free to go. Much respect to the reasonable reasonable conservatives out there, which are the majority of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies