Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just had another thought. If the woman has to travel out of her state for the medical procedure of abortion and she uses her health insurance to pay for it this would be a way for that state where it is illegal to prosecute her. The state could have a red flag type of law that scans insurance for key words.

What a can of worms.
I'm waiting to hear about changes from red state insurance boards that prevent health insurance plans from covering abortion. If they do that, the procedure would be self pay and insurance claims could not be used to find abortion services.

Anyway, HIPAA would prevent a state from searching health insurance claims for any "illegal procedures."

Old 08-05-2022, 07:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
GOP voter here. Abortions are a necessary evil in today's society. They shouldn't be illegal anywhere. What does need to be done though, is how late they can be done should have a limit unless in certain rare cases. Now, how long into the pregnancy that is, I have no idea. I think the medical community should be the ones to pick that.

The sickening thing though, is how front and center the focus is on this. There are much larger issues within our country right now, yet the media wants you to think abortion is the only thing we should all be talking about right now.
It is a very large issue to half the population.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:52 AM

596 posts, read 897,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
We could skip all that by just requiring travel permits for women and perhaps requiring a male relative to accompany them everywhere they go.
It's really for their protection.
Like in Pakistan?

Old 08-05-2022, 07:52 AM

29,560 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
LOL. Republican politicians caused this. Can't blame it on the media.
Caused what ? The power is now in the hands of the people.

. We just had a primary here in MI. Hailey Stevens is a representative, that was running. Not a single one of her campaign ads mentioned anything about helping everyone in the state. They were all about abortion rights, and they were even misleading. Then one day after the primary was over, the smear campaign over the GOP Gubernatorial candidate started. After reviewing this candidates website, everything she addresses would be great for everyone in the state. Yet these ads focus on her being pro life, and how horrible it would be for Michigan if she because Governor. When in reality, the final say on whether or not Michigan would be a pro choice state or not, isn't up to her.

So, yeah, maybe not the media, but the politicians on both sides are responsible for this mess.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
Of course not. It is also unconstitutional.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Should it be illegal to attempt to leave a state if it can be evidential you’re leaving to get an abortion?

Absolutely not.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:54 AM

15,870 posts, read 6,573,652 times
I suspect that any such law would be unconstitutional. But given the current makeup of the SCOTUS, who knows whether they would overturn it?

Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Just realized the OP is also the "Should Biden pardon the shoe bomber?" guy.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 AM

29,560 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It is a very large issue to half the population.
What's amazing to me is how this issue is such a big one for women's rights, but allowing biological men to compete in women's sports isn't. So strange.

Yeah, who care's about the economy, jobs, crime, homelessness, and our country and everyone in it prospering, it's all about abortion. SMH

Old 08-05-2022, 07:57 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was thinking the same and I wonder which side of the aisle the OP is on.

This is America and we have the Freedom to travel from state to state without going through a check point. I do not think anyone but the Extreme Righties would have an issue with a woman going across state lines to get an abortion.

What is ironic is how many on the Left have issues with Borders (well maybe not our Southern Border) But whenever I hear the word Border I start thinking about Kyle Rittenhouse and how the Left kept attacking him on the made up evidence that he traveled across a state line with an AR15!

In my state of Mass, recreational pot is Legal. I'm sure there are many people that come here as tourists and imbibe in the Devil's cabbage and then they go back home where it is against the law. I always wondered how an employer that does drug testing deals with an employee that had some edibles while on vacation in a state where it is legal?

My politics lean to the Right and I do not think Abortion should be illegal and if a woman needs to travel outside her state to get one that should not be a crime. Still it is all about viability of that fetus. If that same woman drove out of state and did not return with her 2 year old that might raise some questions.

Except for agricultural checkpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies