Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 PM

622 posts, read 313,463 times

Advertisements

Biden’s ratings are all time low. Inflation isn’t under control. Recession might have started already. Easy GOP 2024 victory was looking like a logical scenario not long ago..

BUT!!! conservative Supreme Court judges decide to ban abortion. This has resulted in intense rage and dissatisfaction among many women. It will turn off a lot of undecided/ moderate young women voters who perhaps would have voted for GOP otherwise. In fact it might possibly resemble previous election all over again (voters decide to vote for candidate they don’t really like just to keep the candidate out whom they hate!).

GOP has completely missed the boat on this one and shot them selves in the foot IMO. If they wanted to push this agenda, they should have waited till 2024.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:51 PM

32,127 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Since it's left up to states now, it should be on the ballot for the people to decide not state government. I doubt republicans will run on this issue because of what happened in Kansas. The majority want it legal.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,599,492 times
{sigh} you are in the wrong forum if you think anyone here believes that the "Supreme Court Judges decide to ban abortion" because even my little Shih Tzu knows that is not true. SCOTUS merely corrected the 50 year old error of a previous SCOTUS. Nothing new about a reversal. It has happened over 200 times by SCOTUS.

It is now correctly up to the states, such as Kansas, to sort it out.

Try again

Old 08-05-2022, 09:58 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,769,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Biden’s ratings are all time low. Inflation isn’t under control. Recession might have started already. Easy GOP 2024 victory was looking like a logical scenario not long ago..

BUT!!! conservative Supreme Court judges decide to ban abortion. This has resulted in intense rage and dissatisfaction among many women. It will turn off a lot of undecided/ moderate young women voters who perhaps would have voted for GOP otherwise. In fact it might possibly resemble previous election all over again (voters decide to vote for candidate they don’t really like just to keep the candidate out whom they hate!).

GOP has completely missed the boat on this one and shot them selves in the foot IMO. If they wanted to push this agenda, they should have waited till 2024.
It amazes me that people who try to sink ships to save a whale turn around and kill unborn children without a blink of an eye.. WTF is wrong with us? Considering these very people can’t comprehend that no where in the constitution is abortion a right I guess that shouldn’t surprise anyone?

Old 08-05-2022, 10:03 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,518,800 times
Quote:

the SCOTUS did NOT ban anything, certainly not abortion....Roe was UNCONSTITUTIONAL (even RBG said so) and finally fixed the issue to where it is supposed to be IAW 10th amendment...to the states

Old 08-05-2022, 10:06 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Since it's left up to states now, it should be on the ballot for the people to decide not state government. I doubt republicans will run on this issue because of what happened in Kansas. The majority want it legal.
I agree... this should not be up to any politician....it should be on the ballot for the people to decide....which is exactly what the founding fathers wanted..(hence the 10th amendment)

Old 08-05-2022, 10:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,707,841 times
Interesting question, but too early to tell.

I think people misunderstand Biden's polls numbers. But it's true that abortion is one example (guns are another) where elected officials have ignored the wishes of American citizens.

I'm not even sure that it's a "young women" issue. All women understand that this shows a total disregard for women's autonomy, and all people, men and women, can see that this would progress to a push to eliminate the right to contraception.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,065,019 times
I do not believe at the federal level the GOP will feel the abortion issue.

BUT I suspect that some purple states may have some interesting outcomes.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:09 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,321 times
Quote:

I think abortion is going to add to it, but how much weight it will carry will depend on how things go between now and Election Day. Biden's been having a pretty good streak lately on several things--one of them being gas prices going down, which Americans on all sides of the aisle appreciate. Since that was one of the items the GOP was planning to hit him on, if it continues to go down and stay down, then that's a talking point they lose. The overall economy could be trickier--on one hand, jobs keep getting added, on the other hand, prices are still up.

Myself, I always figured it was likely the Democrats might pick up a seat or two in the Senate. (Three might be *possible*, but I wouldn't bet on that.) And up until recently, I figured the House was going to go to the GOP easily. Now, I'm not quite so sure. They might likely still take it, but not by the majority they hoped to have.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:10 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting question, but too early to tell.

I think people misunderstand Biden's polls numbers. But it's true that abortion is one example (guns are another) where elected officials have ignored the wishes of American citizens.

I'm not even sure that it's a "young women" issue. All women understand that this shows a total disregard for women's autonomy, and all people, men and women, can see that this would progress to a push to eliminate the right to contraception.
Yep. My sister and I, and a majority of our friends, are all past our childbearing years, but this is an issue of concern to all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.