Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 10:11 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,016,522 times

Advertisements

Jesus Christ, if you're going to make an argument, get the bare facts right.

They did not ban abortion.

They kicked it back to the states to decide, which means people can vote on it at the state level.

We're flying into the mountain right now. Abortion probably won't be a deciding issue in that cycle.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:12 PM

21,359 posts, read 19,981,576 times
Was the abolition of slavery the death of the GOP? The GOP values all life. The Democrats think only certain people have rights.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:21 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,754,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I think abortion is going to add to it, but how much weight it will carry will depend on how things go between now and Election Day. Biden's been having a pretty good streak lately on several things--one of them being gas prices going down, which Americans on all sides of the aisle appreciate. Since that was one of the items the GOP was planning to hit him on, if it continues to go down and stay down, then that's a talking point they lose. The overall economy could be trickier--on one hand, jobs keep getting added, on the other hand, prices are still up.

Myself, I always figured it was likely the Democrats might pick up a seat or two in the Senate. (Three might be *possible*, but I wouldn't bet on that.) And up until recently, I figured the House was going to go to the GOP easily. Now, I'm not quite so sure. They might likely still take it, but not by the majority they hoped to have.
To add to this....the GOP made an unforced error with the PACT act--they were for it until the CHIPS act passed, then they were against it, and infuriated a lot of veterans. Because let's face it, it just simply looked spiteful--"We'll screw the vets to own the libs!" That memory might stick in minds come Election Day.

The J6 investigation and the DOJ also investigating it isn't helping either--especially given the sentiment that Trump's facing indictment. And if Trump decides to run, that could cause a lot of infighting, because at this point, I think DeSantis wants this for himself, and might not step aside.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 PM

6,491 posts, read 2,791,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
BUT!!! conservative Supreme Court judges decide to ban abortion. This has resulted in intense rage and dissatisfaction among many women. It will turn off a lot of undecided/ moderate young women voters who perhaps would have voted for GOP otherwise. In fact it might possibly resemble previous election all over again (voters decide to vote for candidate they don’t really like just to keep the candidate out whom they hate!).
I really think that people make intentionally false statements just to try and just get a reaction. But sadly, I still hear people in the "real world" who honestly believe statements like this which really just shows how easily manipulated some people are in refusing to actually think for themselves.

But...The Supreme Court justices did NOT ban abortion. They put it back in the State's hands to decide. In terms of population, the decision to overturn RvW had ZERO effect on a majority of women and their ability to get an abortion legally in their state. In fact, in some states, there are now major pushes to EXPAND abortion.

And contrary to the standard mantra of the MSM, Abortion "Rights" has continually poll behind the economy in importance. It is often not even close, where the Economy is often 2-3 times as important as Abortion.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:31 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,489,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I agree... this should not be up to any politician....it should be on the ballot for the people to decide....which is exactly what the founding fathers wanted..(hence the 10th amendment)
Well that isn't what is going to happen in most states.

Instead, Republican dominated state legislators are going to impose near total bans.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,489,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Was the abolition of slavery the death of the GOP? The GOP values all life. The Democrats think only certain people have rights.
The abolition of slavery gave people rights.

Dobbs set the stage for GOP controlled legislators to take rights away.

Totally different scenario.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,019,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Oh. You mean all lives matter?

Old 08-05-2022, 10:42 PM

8,986 posts, read 11,866,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Jesus Christ, if you're going to make an argument, get the bare facts right.

They did not ban abortion.

They kicked it back to the states to decide, which means people can vote on it at the state level.

We're flying into the mountain right now. Abortion probably won't be a deciding issue in that cycle.
I think it will be an issue. Few issues are as important as abortion to individuals impacted by it. It does not matter if the court did not ban abortion, as long as there is a perception that they did.

There won't be more republican voters because of this ruling. On the other hand, there could more people voting against the GOP because of it.

The timing of this ruling is unfortunate for the GOP.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:42 PM

6,762 posts, read 6,801,183 times
I'm concerned because I don't want anymore of these awful tax and spend "inflation reduction" or green new deal bills, but the GOP is going to underperform due to pro-life extremism and tin foil hat Putin/Trump nonsense about stolen elections. The disastrous Dems could actually gain a Senate seat or two all because the GOP went way off the deep end.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:43 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,016,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I think it will be an issue. Few issues are as important as abortion to individuals impacted by it. It does not matter if the court did not ban abortion, as long as there is a perception that they did.

There won't be more republican voters because of this ruling. On the other hand, there could more people voting against the GOP because of it.

The timing of this ruling is unfortunate for the GOP.
Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies