Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:58 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
But they still will vote for them. They show over n over they are not for the people- I don’t get it
Just a few days ago they voted to deny health care benefits to veterans suffering from illnesses associated with burn pits. Why? Because they were having a hissy fit over Manchin and Schumer reaching a deal on the Inflation Reduction Act. There is no bottom for them when it comes to shafting America in the name of partisanship. Republicans have never done a damn thing for working people. Whenever they hold power, it's all tax cuts and spending deals for wealthy donors with them. I don't get it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 07:00 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Just a few days ago they voted to deny health care benefits to veterans suffering from illnesses associated with burn pits. Why? Because they were having a hissy fit over Manchin and Schumer reaching a deal on the Inflation Reduction Act. There is no bottom for them when it comes to shafting America in the name of partisanship.
I read something about the actual bill not specially saying that the funds HAD to be used for veterans. I don’t care enough about it to go look it up, but I’m always wary of these Democrat bills having little tricks, poison pills, and unrelated items included within them.

Regardless of all of that, I get it; it’s only okay when Democrats put partisanship above country.

Either way, I’m getting ready for the amazingness that is the Inflation Reduction Act! So “sweeping,” “historic” and “wonderful” of course.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:06 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Republicans voting down a provision to keep Americans who have private insurance from paying more than $35 for insulin (a generic product that has been around forever yet is being used as extortion by pharma) shows that Republicans are not only party over country but party over people as well.
gov't price controls = scarcity

gov't price controls = changes in the product and/or delivery

https://www.hoover.org/research/pric...still-bad-idea

This policy is such a miniscule sliver of the overall bill, one must really dig deep to find it, then make it a point of contention.

<1% of Americans are on insulin, but 100% of Americans will be impacted by nearly every other part of this bill....like paying more for goods & services due to higher corp taxes.

Corp's don't ultimately pay taxes, they pass them all along to consumers in their pricing model:

costs + obtainable profit = price

Tax is just another cost. If taxes rise, costs rise, & prices rises. Obtainable profit is unchanged.

I own a company, & set pricing...I know this to be fact. Before I owned a company, I worked for 3 Fortune 500's, & set pricing for all 3.

Politicians are taking advantage of American's lack of business understanding regarding corp taxes & pricing.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:09 AM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
These clowns. All independent analysts show that this spending bill will have a negligible impact on inflation. Even the Congressional Budget Office says this. But hey ram something through and call it a win for the party in majority right? Lol

Old 08-08-2022, 07:14 AM

18,108 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Didn't the tariffs do essentially the same thing in 2018? All the companies passed along their increased costs to the consumers of their products. Supply chains were impacted as well. Any time a company's costs increase in whatever way, those costs are ultimately borne by the user of the product. There aren't too many companies who just absorb an extra cost, regardless of where it comes from, and not attempt to recoup it.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:15 AM

3,413 posts, read 1,446,090 times
Default So, what is the solution to end this kind of crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Not one Trumpublican voted for the bill.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...a15349d6ab8991
As long as Congress is allowed to lay and collect a tax calculated from profits, gains, sales, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money, this kind of crap will never end. And that is why concerned American citizens need to consider adopting the Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment as part of our Constitution which begins with the following words:

“SECTION 1. The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay any tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, sales, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

NOTE: The above words would return us to our founding father’s original tax plan as they intended it to operate! They would also end the experiment with allowing Congress to lay and collect taxes calculated from lawfully earned “incomes” which now oppresses America‘s economic engine and robs the bread which working people have earned when selling the property they have in their own labor!

Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Of course, the "secret rule" of any government is GROW OR DIE.
Any government that is static or shrinking, means career ending and loss of jobs.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
The last thing you want to do is to raise taxes in the middle of a recession.” – barack h. obama, aug 5, 2009

Quote:
The nonpartisan Tax Foundation ran the numbers on the proposals in the package and – shock! – the results would be higher taxes, fewer jobs, less economic activity, lower wages, and zero impact on today’s runaway inflation. It’s about nothing more than expanding the scope and size of the federal government and how much control Washington, D.C. has over our everyday lives.
https://www.realclearflorida.com/art...in_846626.html

Old 08-08-2022, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
The legislation includes finally empowering Medicare to negotiate the cost of many prescription drugs and caps the annual out of pocket at $2000/ a year, a very real issue with some Cancer medications. The compromise was that it does not impact new medications. Rather, it targets meds in the tween state between new and generic.

There are about 55 million people age 65 and older today. Projections for 2040 are 81 million and 95 million by 2060.

Boggles the mind that it took so long.

Next up is why meds prescribed in the US tend to be higher potently than in most other countries without better outcomes.

For the past 28 years every POTUS, Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump, began his term with a majority, then lost it. Can’t imagine Biden will fare differently.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:32 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
This has to be one of the biggest misnomers of a bill in recent times. I'm skeptical that it will have much if any impact on inflation. That being said though, it does have some meaningful components I can agree with such as deficit reduction and investment in clean energy infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies