Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 05:43 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
OK, I'll play. Here's a list of the 50 US cities with the highest crime rates:

Rank Metro area Violent crimes per 100,000 people, 2020:

1 Memphis, TN 1,359
2 Monroe, LA 1,309
3 Anchorage, AK 1,171
4 Pine Bluff, AR 1,098

5 Detroit, MI 1,088
6 Danville, IL 1,050

7 Albany, GA 1,008
8 Albuquerque, NM 1,006
9 Alexandria, LA 968
10 Little Rock, AR 939
11 Lubbock, TX 919
12 Florence, SC 860
13 Fairbanks, AK 841
14 Sumter, SC 812

15 Saginaw, MI 795
16 Lake Charles, LA 789
17 Rockford, IL 771
18 Gainesville, FL 760
19 Corpus Christi, TX 738

20 Stockton, CA 723
21 Pueblo, CO 722

22 Macon, GA 708
23 Odessa, TX 697

24 Bakersfield, CA 692
25 Shreveport, LA 683
26 Milwaukee, WI 678
27 Amarillo, TX 673
28 Springfield, IL 667
29 Rapid City, SD 665
30 Niles, MI 664
31 Battle Creek, MI 664
32 Kalamazoo, MI 663
33 Farmington, NM 661

34 Jonesboro, AR 660
35 South Bend, IN 655
36 Houston, TX 632
37 Springfield, MO 632

38 Billings, MT 627
39 Jackson, TN 625
40 New Orleans, LA 624
41 Nashville, TN 616
42 Fort Smith, AR 615
43 Chattanooga, TN 613

44 Beaumont, TX 606
45 Kokomo, IN 604
46 Lawton, OK 603
47 Merced, CA 599
48 Fresno, CA 597

49 Tulsa, OK 591
50 Hot Springs, AR 583

16 out of the 50 American cities with the highest crime rates were located in blue states, while 34 were located in red states. That comes to 68% of cities with the highest rates of crime located in red states. Applying your reasoning, the reason such a large percentage of US cities have such a high rate of crime at the city level is because they are located in red states.

Makes sense to me, especially since red states are always talking about starting a civil war and conservatives have turned their guns into objects of worship. The conservative attitude is one that openly encourages violence as a way of solving any problem as the residents of the cities above have discovered to their sorrow.
The topic was mass shootings. Shouldn't we compare apples to apples? https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 05:46 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Colorado is already on their 3rd mass shooting since the beginning of the year.

Seems like El Paso County, Colorado averages a mass shooting a month on average. They had a mass shooting in late November in that same county, then on February 5th another mass shooting and then another mass shooting tonight.

Denver had a mass shooting on January 8th in the middle of it's downtown.

Another Colorado Springs mass shooting a short-drive from a nightclub shooting just a few months ago.

Last Mass Shooting in Democrat Jared Polis Colorado was in a suburban area adjacent to Colorado Springs on February 5th

https://kdvr.com/news/local/multiple...ing-in-falcon/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEbAWJhdCU

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...f-ea16d3ede3f2
It seems that you aren’t upset about this shooting, instead all too happy to point out that it took place in Colorado. Sick.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:44 PM

7,373 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
OK, I'll play. Here's a list of the 50 US cities with the highest crime rates:
We've been over this before. Blue cites in Red states are still Blue cities, and the problem is with Blue cities.

Also, you might want to see this.

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-colorado/

Zoom-in on Colorado Springs. Most of it is marked high crime.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:52 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The topic was mass shootings. Shouldn't we compare apples to apples? https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting
Meh, if you want to get into folksy analogies, why not "straining out gnats and swallowing camels"? So, mass shootings are different from high crime rates? Seems to me that one is a subset of the other. At any rate, the mass shooting in the Springs apparently involved a group of teenagers on the outs with one another. According to the report on Fox:

Quote:
Police said the shooting was the result of an agreed-upon confrontation between two groups.

Of the injuries, two adults and three minors sustained serious but non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. According to CSPD, one of the five injured was a bystander who was not involved in the confrontation.
Certainly not a good thing, but gang bangers will be gang bangers. Hope the police catch the shooter and lock him up for a nice long time, but it's not as though the incident was another Columbine or something. Also, how do you figure Guv Polis is responsible for the acts of some juvenile delinquents down in the Springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
It seems that you aren’t upset about this shooting, instead all too happy to point out that it took place in Colorado. Sick.
Your words are more true than you may imagine. Apparently, at least part of OP's mis-spent youth took place in Colorado Springs. He has carried a chip on his shoulder about the Springs and Colorado in general every since. He started out by posting his grievances on the Colorado forum but when the members there greeted his complaints with indifference or sometimes outright disbelief, he dropped the Colorado forum and now posts here where far fewer people realize that he's just blowing off steam yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja
We've been over this before. Blue cites in Red states are still Blue cities, and the problem is with Blue cities.

Also, you might want to see this.

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-in-colorado/

Zoom-in on Colorado Springs. Most of it is marked high crime.
I haven't been over this before but thank you for your take on blue cities in red states. Colorado Springs is a red city in a blue state, so I assume you blame red Colorado Springs for its supposed high crime rate. This is the exact opposite of what OP has posted. According to him, Colorado Springs would be paradise except for the Democratic governor of Colorado and the evil blue influence of Colorado on ALL its cities. So which is it? You are trying to play it both ways, and I for one am not falling for it.

I don't know what crimegrade.org's story is, but when I clicked on their crime map of the Colorado Springs area, I was both amazed and amused. According to crimegraft's highly imaginative map,
every single square foot of land to the west and north of Colorado Springs - even the chic little community of Manitou Springs - is colored red for high crime. Crimegrade considers the 14,000 + summit of Pikes Peak to be high crime. The forest service land - mostly trees and mountains and streams without end that is administered by Pike National Forest is high crime. The exclusive gated community of Crystal Park located in a very high mountain area where you often need 4-wheel drive to get there is considered high crime. And let's not forget the United States Air Force Academy - high crime. Miles and miles of forest land mostly frequented by elk and deer are marked high crime. What? Have the deer gone into cahoots with their masked friends - the raccoons - and are now lying in wait for unwary hikers on public lands? Are the elk acquiring AK15's from Republican supporters back in town and committing mass shootings in squirrel dominated communities?

Thanks for the laugh and the ever more outrageous mis-information from the conservative side of things. I'm going to bookmark your site and email it to all my liberal friends so we can have the world's biggest laugh. Check it out folks:

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places...ings-co-metro/

Old 02-22-2023, 10:57 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
No, the problem is in one city- DC. The main problem with the gun violence epidemic in this country, is our national gun policy and the NRA lobby preventing any sane changes that would help reduce mass shootings by a lot. We're blocked from doing that.

And of course, the other deep social reasons why people murder people. Deep problems with our culture and public health and education and economic opportunities and all kinds of problems.

But the lack of national gun control, enables the gun violence. A gun is a tool that can kill a mass of people quickly. It's designed for killing people.

And state gun control is pretty pointless in most states, besides maybe Hawaii, since there's free travel between the states.

Local gun control policies are even more pointless. We need change to gun policy in DC, and Republicans block it. That's why there's a lot more mass shootings all the time here, vs other countries. The reason they happen in Democratic cities, is because all cities are Democratic. Conservatism is strong in rural ignorant prejudice people who don't have to live around different kinds of people, or have the tolerance that's required in a city. Cities are generally the liberal areas. That would be the case if we had no gun violence problem.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:49 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is wrong with people these days? There certainly is A LOT of anger out there and people are ready to settle it with extreme violence.

The other day at a mall near me we had a stabbing. The people involved knew each other and it was some dumb beef that had the 15 year old repeatedly stab the 17 year old in the chest.

If the kid had a gun I'm sure he would have shot him instead.

Society is failing.
Something is definitely off. People are getting more aggressive, more angry, short tempered, etc. And it isn't just 'unnamed descriptions', it's everyone. Every color, every age, both genders.

The other day, I was at a self checkout, and ran out of paper bags that a customer requested. Another self checkout had some. There was a mid age male there (also, wearing a mask...should have been my sign not to bother since he already lives in fear) who was bagging his groceries in the plastic bags. I asked if he was going to use the paper bags. He immediately tensed up and yelled, 'NO!' I asked, 'Ok, can I have one of those paper bags?' He then calmed the hell down and said, 'Oh! That's all you wanted?' Wth?

ALL day yesterday, starting from 11pm the night before, in a complex I'm familiar with, a man was barricaded inside his apartment after shooting his 11 year old son (nothing serious, thankfully), and then threatened to kill himself. The entire area was completely closed off, all the short cuts that I take to avoid the traffic on the main roads were completely cut off around this complex by Cary police, Raleigh police, and the FBI. Multiple helicopters were flying around for a few hours. Red ones.

Cary, where this took place, is boring. There's no night life. Most people are off the roads and at home, probably in bed, by 10pm. Not much crime happens there. Not much of anything happens there.

He held the kid hostage for hours. Eventually, the 11 year old was released, and the FBI took the kid. The man, on the other hand, kept this stand off going for 21 hours, threatening to kill himself. And, just after 8pm last night, he did just that.

I've lived in this area for 3 years. NOTHING ever happens. But now people are losing their ish over the dumbest things. People are becoming bigger aholes on the road, purposely fn with people behind them, more aggressive driving, people acting rude everywhere.

It's nowhere near the level it is in other cities. If you ever wanted to know what it felt like to live in a zombie apocalypse, where everyone shuffled around moaning 'braaaiiins', and being as plain Jane as one could get, Cary was it. But now, everyone is more animated, angry, petrified of other people, freak out if someone talks to them, car thefts in broad daylight in crowded shopping areas that have a steady cop presence, more major accidents at intersections because everyone is suddenly extremely impatient, etc.

Something has changed in this country, and it's not good when you see it trickling into Boringsville (aka Cary and other places), where people used to be at least somewhat courteous and friendly.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:54 AM

748 posts, read 340,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have to honestly wonder how many of these are false flags. It’s happening far too often now as we gear up for another election cycle. The Dems are always about gun control as we know, and the economy isn’t going to help them win anything anytime soon.
Oof.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:03 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I lived there for 10 years and it's got plenty of shady areas. Just the fact there is no mention of race kinda sets the tone.
I lived there for a time as well. The idea that it's evangelical republicans running around committing all this violence is laughable on it's face.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:36 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
No, the problem is in one city- DC. The main problem with the gun violence epidemic in this country, is our national gun policy and the NRA lobby preventing any sane changes that would help reduce mass shootings by a lot. We're blocked from doing that.

And of course, the other deep social reasons why people murder people. Deep problems with our culture and public health and education and economic opportunities and all kinds of problems.

But the lack of national gun control, enables the gun violence. A gun is a tool that can kill a mass of people quickly. It's designed for killing people.

And state gun control is pretty pointless in most states, besides maybe Hawaii, since there's free travel between the states.

Local gun control policies are even more pointless. We need change to gun policy in DC, and Republicans block it. That's why there's a lot more mass shootings all the time here, vs other countries. The reason they happen in Democratic cities, is because all cities are Democratic. Conservatism is strong in rural ignorant prejudice people who don't have to live around different kinds of people, or have the tolerance that's required in a city. Cities are generally the liberal areas. That would be the case if we had no gun violence problem.
So, what do you want? Another fake ban on assault weapons at the Federal level? I bought whatever I wanted during that Federal "ban" that was purely symbolic. We already have a NIC check that's Federal. Not really much else can be done without another amendment that WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:54 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Colorado is already on their 3rd mass shooting since the beginning of the year.

Seems like El Paso County, Colorado averages a mass shooting a month on average. They had a mass shooting in late November in that same county, then on February 5th another mass shooting and then another mass shooting tonight.

Denver had a mass shooting on January 8th in the middle of it's downtown.

Another Colorado Springs mass shooting a short-drive from a nightclub shooting just a few months ago.

Last Mass Shooting in Democrat Jared Polis Colorado was in a suburban area adjacent to Colorado Springs on February 5th

https://kdvr.com/news/local/multiple...ing-in-falcon/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEbAWJhdCU

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...f-ea16d3ede3f2
You get what you vote for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies