Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 04:36 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Kaiser Permanente seems more like a hedge-fund or investment scheme though that runs some hospitals on the side.
I haven't seen so much trash talk about a private enterprise American corporation in a long time as the OP has spouted. It is a health care company that pioneered the HMO concept followed by many other health care providers. I was born in a Kaiser hospital and seemed to have survived the last 68 years OK.

Kaiser's health care system was founded to care for their industrial workers who worked tough and dangerous jobs - oh yeah, those steel and shipyard workers who played a key role in the USA's arsenal for democracy during WW2. Where does OP think the steel came from on the west coast for building 1500 liberty ships (at seven Kaiser Shipyards)?

OP must have forgotten that the vast majority of people that receive health care at Kaiser health clinics and hospitals chose Kaiser from a number of other options. If Kaiser were a poor provider of health care, eventually most patients would leave and choose a different provider. That is called free enterprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 06:14 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Looks like Woke Kaiser Permanente based in Oakland would have gone broke this year if not for big government bailouts.

I remember walking by a Kaiser Permanente clinic and I thought it was a homeless health care clinic because of the massive line.

One has to question the sanity of anyone who would have anything to do with Kaiser Permanente Investment scheme that masquerades as a health care provider

I wonder if California and Massachusetts residents will have to pay a tremendous amount for commercial health insurance coverage because they have so much woke investment schemes that masquerade as health care systems that are losing so much money with their gambling and paying doctors and nurses more in one hour than many countries pay per month.

Seems like the combination of high nurses, high doctor wages and 3.2 billion in gambling loses caused a big loss for Kaiser Permanente.

Kaiser Permanente seems more like a hedge-fund or investment scheme though that runs some hospitals on the side.

Seems like Woke Massachusetts General Brigham hospital also lost 2.3 billion dollars.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pro...er-financially

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pro...on%20in%202021.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...headwinds.html

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/fin...abor-tom-meier
"due to gambling lose"

That's why it's called "GAMBLING"!

Old 02-27-2023, 07:58 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
They can't very well make the Kaiser model illegal if it's the same model used by Medicaid (through county hospitals) and the VA.
Ah, the Kaiser model:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Trans...O_act_of_1973:

Done right/ethically the model can work just fine for all involved.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:04 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Kaiser has plenty of doctors while other providers such as Maui Medical Group do not. Many doctors here jump ship to join Kaiser as well. The fact that Kaiser offers its personnel malpractice coverage is a big factor.

Kaiser employees and their families receive medical coverage as a perk. People who work there sometimes call it "golden handcuffs" because they can't afford to leave.
For most docs the included malpractice coverage is relatively minor. The biggies are mostly concerning not having to set up their own practice. Complexity, risk and responsibility is much lower. Similar to why so many docs join with a hospital.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:29 AM

5,946 posts, read 2,765,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
3.2 billion in gambling losses.... even worse than me in fanduel.
Maybe KP were bag holders of Gamestop, Bed Bath and Beyond and AMC!

Old 02-27-2023, 11:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeisBroke View Post
so, in 2021 they were a greedy hospital. in 2022, they were stupid losers. and if you take the 2 years together, they're barely solvent ($4B on ~$200B in revenues is just a 2% margin).
They are a non-profit organization.

Surprisingly, for 2023, my Kaiser Senior Advantage premium dropped from $186 to $168. I then added dental and vision coverage for $40 per month since I have been so happy with their other services.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
In the mid-80's Kaiser was the absolute bottom of the barrel in health care and services. So 4 decades later, what is it that inflated Kaiser's image to what it is now? Seriously, when I was a kid, no one wanted to go to Kaiser for anything related to first aid, injury, etc. etc. etc.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:26 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
In the mid-80's Kaiser was the absolute bottom of the barrel in health care and services. So 4 decades later, what is it that inflated Kaiser's image to what it is now? Seriously, when I was a kid, no one wanted to go to Kaiser for anything related to first aid, injury, etc. etc. etc.
This is what I remember as well. As a kid, (in the 80s and early 90s) none of my family wanted Kaiser. When i was finally forced to get it as an adult, I have been quite happy with it.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Clearly, they've come a long way. I avoided them until there was little other choice, and now wish I had been with them all along.

Medicare Advantage plans are rated by stars and KP is the only provider in Hawaii to earn all 5 stars, rated by its customer base.

Previously I had Humana and they were truly horrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies