Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 01:54 PM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That show would hurt so many Lib feelings today that it wouldn’t make 3 episodes…and certainly not the only one. The Jeffersons which was a great spinoff and one that Sherman Helmsley made many appearances on All In The Family was great stuff, while George was hUUUgley racist to white folks so it wouldn’t hurt those same folks feelings. Both great shows and before the cries of racism at the drop of a hat like today.
George and Archie were two dedicated racists. Nothing nice to say about either character then, and they have not aged well.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:55 PM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Democrats were burning bras and rioting in Watts and at the DNC around the same time as this show.

Talk about complaining!
I know. I was in the street the first time in 1968.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:57 PM

8,951 posts, read 2,976,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Archie Bunker was a comic punching-bag character, representing the narrow-mindedness of "the old days"... simplistic, racist reactionary thinking and behavior. The jokes were all on him. Odd that the OP sees him as some sort of avenging hero and the show as a plea to return to Jim Crow times. It was NOT THAT lol.

Of course, the show poked fun at starry-eyed liberals too, but the theme was mostly anti-conservative, pro-social justice. 50 years ago, go figure.
You obviously miss the point of the show. You're right Archie was made fun of, but the points were that A LOT of what he believed still made sense.

The young, naive, liberal couple living under his roof served as the contrast for jokes as well.

Kind of like Family Ties in reverse. The son was the conservative and many times he was shown to be correct over his hippie parents, but not always. It was a great dynamic.

Again, this is back when we the discourse was MUCH MUCH healthier and we could joke about such things. Today, liberals would commit suicide over this show.

Even to get a greenlight on that theme song in Hollywood today would be absolutely unthinkable!

Liberals have lost their sense of humor, unfortunately.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:57 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
George and Archie were two dedicated racists. Nothing nice to say about either character then, and they have not aged well.
It’s called comedy. One simply has to have a sense of humor versus being so triggered and taking everything personally. They both had great careers. What hasn’t aged well is the constant cries of racism at the drop of a hat and why folks don’t take sOOO much of it seriously as wolf continues to be cried. Even Chapelle triggers the Libs.

Quote:
Admitted hypocrisy is great stuff, and the Dem whining hasn’t stopped since.

Quote:
I'm sure it was just the fact that "girls" is only 1 syllable so it fits in the song. We all know what they mean.
Bingo…and hilarious that it would be suggested otherwise.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
They were both great. Lighten up. Get a sense of humor.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:00 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,674,502 times
I liked what Archie would always say when someone told him to have a nice day.

" How the hell can I ? "

Old 04-25-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
And you're calling republicans the "whiners."

HA!

Old 04-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I liked what Archie would always say when someone told him to have a nice day.

" How the hell can I ? "

He was surrounded by hippies and a wife with a voice that could break the china.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:04 PM

18,189 posts, read 15,761,055 times
Norman Lear, creator of "All In The Family," intended for the show to be satire of the ultra conservative bigoted citizens. It combined humor with a dash of humility, but the point always was just how rigid and backwards and hateful ultra conservative views were (and still are). It's the opposite of Christian values preached every Sunday to "love thy neighbor as thyself." Lear's message then and since has remained constant.

The show was wildly popular, I sure enjoyed it as a kid, and my dem parents and their friends did as well. It was must see TV back then.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
They were both great. Lighten up. Get a sense of humor.
Bingo…but some simply have none and live in angst as their feelings are so easily hurt by everything they don’t agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies