Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 04:39 PM

17,664 posts, read 13,451,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

Evidence that climate change is here.

Climate change (by humans) is a myth. The earth runs in cycles. Always has-always will. Most of the continental US was an ocean then glaciers millennia ago

These fires are cause by poor land management and not clearing dead underbrush.

There will always be forest fires, volcanoes, geysers and other natural events that release CO2 and methane into the air.

Cows, humans, elephants and every animal will continue to fart and belch, releasing more gasses into the atmosphere

When I was younger, coal fires caused more smog than we are having at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 04:46 PM

24,606 posts, read 17,350,035 times
The sun was casting off an orange glow today in my area. It was weird.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:47 PM

18,518 posts, read 9,201,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's like living in Beijing, wildfire smog is all over the Northeast coming from Canada

They are trying to blame climate change but what I'm seeing is mis-managed forests where small fires are put out and controlled burns are blocked by NIMBYs. The result is an unhealthy forest with tons of small brush and combustible materials just waiting for a spark
Yeah, that’s the right wing narrative. Whatever makes you feel better and aligns with your interests.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:50 PM

43,374 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this continues. The season is on track to be the worst fire season Canada has ever seen and the risk of wildfires will remain well above average in most of the country during the summer.

Evidence that climate change is here.
No...evidence of not taking proper care of their forests.

Controlled burns are NEEDED to prevent destructive wildfires.

Mother Nature is taking back control from the eco-crazies that don't want a tree touched.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:51 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Can’t post pics here.

But it’s hazy. I don’t have lung or breathing problems, but a couple of days in, I’m dragging a little bit. I quit cigarettes at the beginning of the year and I feel like my breathing is at or a bit worse than where it was when I was really chugging away at those stupid things.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:52 PM

39,112 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Pretty amazing. The smoke and haze from the Canadian wildfires completely covers the eastern half of the US, especially the northeast, and extends all the way down over Cuba to Central America. Why don't those Canucks rake their forests?

Old 06-06-2023, 04:56 PM

43,374 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yeah, that’s the right wing narrative. Whatever makes you feel better and aligns with your interests.
It's not made up crap. Educate yourself

https://education.nationalgeographic...lled-burning/#
Controlled burns are lit for a number of reasons. By ridding a forest of dead leaves, tree limbs, and other debris, a prescribed burn can help prevent a destructive wildfire. Controlled burns can also reduce insect populations and destroy invasive plants. In addition, fire can be rejuvenating. It returns nutrients to the soil in the ashes of vegetation that could otherwise take years to decompose. And after a fire, the additional sunlight and open space in a forest can help young trees and other plants start to grow.

From our own government:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/prescribed-fire
Did you know fire can be good for people and the land? After many years of fire exclusion, an ecosystem that needs periodic fire becomes unhealthy. Trees are stressed by overcrowding; fire-dependent species disappear; and flammable fuels build up and become hazardous.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:57 PM

29,861 posts, read 24,994,629 times
There is a smokey smell in the air and the sky is a little hazy in my neck of the woods. I was outside much of the day and I didn't notice anything like that earlier, so it looks like it's just starting here.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:55 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,624,666 times
It’s pretty bad out there. The air quality is very poor. Humans are in part to blame. We extinguish fires that would otherwise burn off the underbrush. Once things get too overgrown the fire just becomes too powerful. It’s the same reason why California is such a mess.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-06-2023, 05:59 PM

39,112 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Break out the N95s again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies