Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 06:08 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,962,452 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of extreme bears have doomsday preppers mentality and tend to be uneducated and blue collar and don't like government. They secretly want to see society fail. Does it seem like a lot of the extreme vocal bears are from this background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 06:22 AM

106,984 posts, read 109,264,794 times
to be honest , don’t know ,don’t care

Old 08-14-2023, 06:59 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,338,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I think a lot of extreme bears have doomsday preppers mentality and tend to be uneducated and blue collar and don't like government. They secretly want to see society fail. Does it seem like a lot of the extreme vocal bears are from this background?
You can't paint everyone here with a single brush. I'm white collar, educated, and don't like the government. Also I'm not a republican.
I'm a bear - although not to the level of some others.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:20 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,345,030 times
Quote:
My guess is that most permabears are either writers who are out to generate followers and clicks while trying to sell you something, or money managers just making excuses for $hitty performance. Glass half empty types trying desperately to prove how smart they are and get rich off of followers who never quite seem to figure out that the preacher bears are just broken clocks.

I don't think it has much to do with education or politics, they're just opportunists preaching to the useful idiots who can't think for themselves.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:21 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,319,353 times
Quote:
No, the extremely vocal bears seem to be very highly educated. The uneducated blue collar folks don't follow the stock market and have no public platform to be vocal on.

Let's check the background of some extreme bears. I'll start with Doug Casey who wrote some best selling investment books and has been predicting the upcoming depression for the last 40 years. He had a degree from Georgetown and his father was a multimillionaire real estate developer.

Robert Prechter is probably the most famous perma-bear. He wrote Conquer the Crash and has been calling for a super crash since the late 1980's. He graduated from Yale and worked at Merrill.

He is still at it. I have omitted the . to prevent embedding.

youtube com/watch?v=prD4pSV-1ew

John Hussman is also a very prominent bear and is calling for a 64% decline in the S&P 500. However he first made that prediction in 2018. He has a Ph.D from Stanford and was a professor of Economics at Univ of Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hussman

https://www.hussmanfunds.com/comment/mc230724/

Author and former hedge fund manager Nassim Taleb is another very highly educated bear with an MBA from Wharton and a Ph.D from the University of Paris.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whole...133000465.html

The latest super bear is Simon Hunt. He has had a long career as a consultant in the African mining industry.

youtube com/watch?v=ArYm77X5rIk

Last edited by capoeira; 08-14-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-14-2023, 08:15 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Kind of odd to state "I'm a bear" isn't it? Is that just temporary or does that mean you're always negative on the stock market? If the latter, you've clearly not been paying attention to the last 100 years of the stock market.

In terms of the political stances of perma-bears, I really don't know or care. I just think anyone who claims to always be bearish on the market either has an agenda to sell something (or clicks to a website) or just isn't astute enough to understand how the markets work in the long-term.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:41 AM

18,234 posts, read 15,782,819 times
I suspect a segment of people self-identifying as bears, especially those who are perma-bears, are depressed and dissatisfied with their lives. I suspect some correlation with a mid-life crisis of sorts, maybe they're in just sort of OK or perhaps unhappy partnerships/marriages or maybe they're just alone and are lonely. It's like an ongoing malaise.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:26 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,238,918 times
Quote:
........ bears have doomsday preppers mentality and tend to be uneducated and blue collar and don't like government. ...........
Doomsday preppers do not have any money in the stock market. It's possible that they don't even have any money in the banks.

I'm not so sure that the uneducated and blue collar are in the market, either, other than their pension fund is probably invested there for them and they aren't doing anything to direct it.

Nothing about being blue collar or uneducated makes anyone any more likely to dislike the government than any other life condition of other persons might or might not make them dislike the government. Plenty of rich and well educated people dislike the government. Lots of uneducated and blue collar people like the government. Especially if the government is supporting them. Although people being supported by the government probably do not have stock investments.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:16 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,311,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Doomsday preppers do not have any money in the stock market. It's possible that they don't even have any money in the banks.

I'm not so sure that the uneducated and blue collar are in the market, either, other than their pension fund is probably invested there for them and they aren't doing anything to direct it.

Nothing about being blue collar or uneducated makes anyone any more likely to dislike the government than any other life condition of other persons might or might not make them dislike the government. Plenty of rich and well educated people dislike the government. Lots of uneducated and blue collar people like the government. Especially if the government is supporting them. Although people being supported by the government probably do not have stock investments.
They buy gold.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:23 AM

35,139 posts, read 31,445,911 times
That's kind of where the extreme cultural fear lies these.

It reckons that would also spillover to their attitudes on the investment world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies