Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 08:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
You can't possibly be so naive. They take from family and friends until they cannot take anymore. Then they steal or sell their bodies on the street. I have a cousin for thirty years has done just that and his "fiancé" as they like to call her will walk the street if she cant get the cash for a fix any other way. And the family has spent at this point hundreds of thousands of dollars on programs and efforts to get my cousin clean.Sooner or later, usually sooner, it's back to the street.

At this point we can't believe he hasn't been murdered yet. Although he has done years in prison and just a month or so ago knifed by some other addict who wanted something he had.
How much money can possibly be given out by family? Who is going to buy their bodies off the street? How is going to fence their stolen stuff, or better yet who is going to buy that stuff off the street anyways?

Drugs cannot be that cheap or else these cartels never get that big and powerful. They need cash to pay their street soldiers. They need hard currency to buy off politicians. Otherwise better to keep the operation very small. Very small means they wont be this strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 08:25 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingding View Post
Sometimes being homeless is their job. Panhandling is very lucrative. Free money, no taxes, work the hours you want.
I've seen them here in my state standing with their "Hungry, anything helps, God Bless" cardboard signs and most of the time they don't want money for food, its for alcohol or meth. Go ahead and hand them a burger and watch them toss it in the ditch or set it on the ground and keep panhandling.

There are freeway exits that I pass frequently that seem to have rotating shifts. The same panhandler will be there in the morning everyday. Then around lunch time, another panhandler takes over. Then there will sometimes be two people at rush hour. For all intents and purposes, this is what they do for income, so they likely view it as a job. I've given them food on occasion but never money.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:31 PM

1,693 posts, read 609,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As this forum proves on a regular basis, homelessness is a problem not well understood by many. Especially those who like to insist homelessness is due to liberal policies, and/or "a choice." Here, contrary to typical forum speak, is a good fact-based summary of why the problem is what it is and not going to get better anytime soon. Across the country. Instead worse...

"But again, the overriding problem, they say, is the dire lack of places low-income people can afford to live."

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/12/11868...ng-encampments
Garbage article. There are still plenty of affordable places to live across the country. People have always migrated for hunting, jobs, weather and housing. Why should it be any different now? If you want to live in a place you cannot now afford, then you need to do something to make yourself more valuable to the marketplace. Of course, being an alcoholic and doing drugs will not get you there.

This article is literally nothing more than another attempt by the left to place the blame on society and other factors other than the real culprits…the individuals. It’s old hat. The left has been playing that same old song for four or five decades. Try something new.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Because up tunitl 2021 all the homeless had homes.........said nobody ever.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:36 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because up tunitl 2021 all the homeless had homes.........said nobody ever.

The homeless rate over the past year alone nearly doubled in New York City, Chicago, and a couple other major American cities. It has become a problem too big to ignore, and it is making our nation look like trash to the rest of the world. I am not blaming the homeless themselves for that. I understand people fall on hard times. I do think some of the policy decisions made by (mostly progressive) politicians and even the POTUS has contributed greatly to the marked spike in the number of people experiencing homelessness in America.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:40 PM

936 posts, read 423,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
How "affordable" are we talking? Even if rents were one-third what they are, tents and campers would still be littering the streets of LA.

Here's the other big issue from the article:
And in most places it's still a major challenge to build affordable housing. "Neighbors will say, 'We don't want low-income people living here,' and they'll stop the housing from being built," says Berg, with the National Alliance to End Homelessness.

Hardworking homeowners do not want these people in their area. Most, not all, bring nothing positive with them. Drugs, dirt, crime, mental illness, and just dirty living in general moves in when they do. Property values are designed to out-price the undesirables. People on both sides of the political aisle know this. Just ask Steph Curry.
Great post and pretty much spot on. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:52 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Ok, anyone saw Seattle is dying? Or, later, Olympia is dying? I drove past that "homeless" camp on Dearborn twice a day. It only kept growing and spreading, getting underneath the I-90 and any other area close by, able to be taken over by them.
You had to be REAL careful driving there as, they'd cross the street paying NO attention to traffic or, better off, stand in middle of the lane, talking to god or something. There was a guy like that on the corner of Rainier and Jackson, a block away from camping. Stand in the lane, arms up, hands joined to make a TV screen, staring into that only by him seen movie in the sky. He was local fixture for long time.
Anyhow. City and "advocates" finally built them a small settlement, on the opposite side of Dearborn, small huts, and moved them all in. Fenced and such. free food, water, medical.
Well, they trashed it in several months completely and city had to destroy all that, it was so contaminated. I watched crew cleaning camp under I-90. They had to use full blown biohazard suites and dozers and excavators, as ground was covered in refuse, feces, and thick layer of needles.
I guess, that pretty much it for "affordable housing". They are UNEMPLOYABLE. They can't work. Can't work - can't afford housing. Get free housing - it's free, not mine, don't give crap about it.
yet somehow, have you noticed how they in majority have smart phones?
I GUARANTEE you, I'll take any bet, that it is not possible in this country to be hungry of without clothes. Unless you simply don't want to use resources available. I'd imagine that, with a bit of effort, one can always find lodging for free.
So just for a moment, just for a moment, imagine a country, an island, that does not have say internet or connection with the outer world. There is no movies, books, professors etc, on that island, always showing/talking/sampling drugs, alcohol, smoking, violence, theft etc. NONE. People are simply unaware of all this stuff. And, it is illegal not to work. And, job is guaranteed.
Tell me, how many "homeless" will be on that island?

Old 07-14-2023, 10:07 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good article! Like it said "lack of Affordable housing" is the main driver. Just the type of housing Biden's 6 million plus Illegals have being moving in to
Actually most of them already have family or friends living here and move in with them. I don't like using comparisons but I will make an exception: "Trump Leaves Biden 1.3 Million Case Backlog in Immigration Courts" I'm not going to blame Trump or Biden for this mess, Congress has had ample opportunities to write an immigration bill that might get this problem under control

Old 07-14-2023, 10:31 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually most of them already have family or friends living here and move in with them. I don't like using comparisons but I will make an exception: "Trump Leaves Biden 1.3 Million Case Backlog in Immigration Courts" I'm not going to blame Trump or Biden for this mess, Congress has had ample opportunities to write an immigration bill that might get this problem under control

With regards to AZ..
https://www.azmirror.com/2022/10/25/...n-fiscal-2022/

I have no doubt many who enter Az illegally end up in the Phx area including Mesa. I suspect one reason rents have remained strong here in Mesa is because of an influx of people both legal and illegal.

It is also why I get better deals on landscaping, palm tree trims and tree removal. Not that hire illegals but those I hire face more competition for work. Today I make the offer. It wasn't that way a few years ago. A few years back landscapers would tell me their price. Take it or leave it.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:16 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Homelessness is enabled by liberal drug policies.

#fact
What liberal drug policies, and how do they enable homelessness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies