Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 11:20 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What liberal drug policies, and how do they enable homelessness?

I'm all for legalizing weed, but somehow, I think handing out crack pipes in vending machines in NYC is not doing anyone any favors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 11:37 PM

13,805 posts, read 8,039,961 times
Quote:
What liberal drug policies, and how do they enable homelessness?
As far as failed drug policies just look at cities like SF, Portland and Seattle.

As far as a specific policy: I feel a policy like "harm reduction" does more to enable an addict/alcoholic than actually help.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:42 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You can't ignore the effect of REITs and consortiums buying up apartment complexes and the flipper industrial complex going after single family homes.
These have caused rents to spike 60-80% in my formerly affordable town.
It used to be two people on disability could afford to share an apartment but no more.
Dm, you are lucky to have found a place that hasn't been targeted by the real estate predators.
I know many will scream free enterprise, yay, but my taxes have gone up to build new housing for the displaced.
You're correct, in 2015 or 16 you could rent a one bedroom apartment here for around $600 a month, those same apartments now rent for $1400-$1500. Corporations buy up apartment complexes, evict everyone for 'remodeling' and when they are done the ex-tenants, some of whom lived there for years are told they can move back in, but only if they can come up with three times the rent they were paying. A complex near us raised rents recently by a few hundred a month but I guess that put some people out because the street outside the complex is full of cars and RV's with ex-tenants living in them, it seems that most of them know someone who is still in the complex so they are able to bathe and prepare food.

And you mentioned that in the past two disabled people could share an apartment, you're right I saw that when I lived in Reno, they had a lot of weekly motels that rented for $100-$150 a week. Most were filled with retirees receiving small pensions, single day labor guys or young women with little kids. A few years ago a developer bought up most of the land in that area and tore down the motels. The City Council did nothing and didn't really want to talk about it. Some who lived there will find other places to live while others will be added to the winter death count of the homeless who froze while sleeping outside.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:45 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,629,150 times
This seems to be another thread trying to pretend there is only one problem (or "the overriding problem") that causes homelessness.

No wonder no one ever solves homelessness.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
You're correct, in 2015 or 16 you could rent a one bedroom apartment here for around $600 a month, those same apartments now rent for $1400-$1500. Corporations buy up apartment complexes, evict everyone for 'remodeling' and when they are done the ex-tenants, some of whom lived there for years are told they can move back in, but only if they can come up with three times the rent they were paying. A complex near us raised rents recently by a few hundred a month but I guess that put some people out because the street outside the complex is full of cars and RV's with ex-tenants living in them, it seems that most of them know someone who is still in the complex so they are able to bathe and prepare food.

And you mentioned that in the past two disabled people could share an apartment, you're right I saw that when I lived in Reno, they had a lot of weekly motels that rented for $100-$150 a week. Most were filled with retirees receiving small pensions, single day labor guys or young women with little kids. A few years ago a developer bought up most of the land in that area and tore down the motels. The City Council did nothing and didn't really want to talk about it. Some who lived there will find other places to live while others will be added to the winter death count of the homeless who froze while sleeping outside.

Can an owner or corporation vacate a home or building, remodel and then triple the rent?

Only if the market supports it.

As a landlord I can't remodel a house, put it on the market and demand xxxx instead of xxx because I sunk a lot of money into the property. Doesn't work like that.

Rents have skyrocketed in the Phx meto since 2020 in large part due to people moving here in droves. The market dictates the rents not me.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
As far as failed drug policies just look at cities like SF, Portland and Seattle.

As far as a specific policy: I feel a policy like "harm reduction" does more to enable an addict/alcoholic than actually help.
Possession of a small amount of drugs in California is a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail. You would rather we go back to charging possession as a felony? For what reason- do you really think an addict is going to say "wow I could go to prison for having this dope in my pocket, I will quit using right away!"? An addict will get their dope no matter what they need to do. If you think making it a felony and putting them in prison for 16 months instead of in jail for a year will "cure them" you are wrong, they don't care... when they need their drug they don't care if they were threatened with the death penalty for using it.

It would be better to decriminalize it, I don't mean make it legal I just mean remove sanctions from possessing it, and here's why -there are probably close to as many alcoholics among the homeless as there are drug addicts but those folks don't go to jail for using alcohol -why not? If "tough laws on drugs" is the thing that will end homelessness, then "tough laws on booze" should do exactly the same thing...but the fact is "tough laws will solve all these problems" are a lie told to the public in order for some blowhard politicians to get voted into office. The Phillipine Government has killed 6,000 drug dealers and I can't find any evidence that it reduced drug use at all

Old 07-15-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Possession of a small amount of drugs in California is a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail. You would rather we go back to charging possession as a felony? For what reason- do you really think an addict is going to say "wow I could go to prison for having this dope in my pocket, I will quit using right away!"? An addict will get their dope no matter what they need to do. If you think making it a felony and putting them in prison for 16 months instead of in jail for a year will "cure them" you are wrong, they don't care... when they need their drug they don't care if they were threatened with the death penalty for using it.

It would be better to decriminalize it, I don't mean make it legal I just mean remove sanctions from possessing it, and here's why -there are probably close to as many alcoholics among the homeless as there are drug addicts but those folks don't go to jail for using alcohol -why not? If "tough laws on drugs" is the thing that will end homelessness, then "tough laws on booze" should do exactly the same thing...but the fact is "tough laws will solve all these problems" are a lie told to the public in order for some blowhard politicians to get voted into office. The Phillipine Government has killed 6,000 drug dealers and I can't find any evidence that it reduced drug use at all
What I'm saying is cities like SF, Portland, Seattle first need to recognize what they've been doing hasn't worked.

Until then expect little change for the better.

Last edited by john3232; 07-15-2023 at 12:41 AM..

Old 07-15-2023, 07:27 AM

2,023 posts, read 873,761 times
Quote:

And, food is sky high. Cars are a lot more money. Are you looking for someone in particular to blame?

Old 07-15-2023, 08:46 AM

25,837 posts, read 12,881,113 times
Most homeless want to remain homeless, & not work at all, so the lack of affordable housing fails to impact most homeless people.

Most are mentally ill, addicts, or both, & are incapable of holding down any type job, to pay any level of rent.

Those are the facts.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
And, food is sky high. Cars are a lot more money. Are you looking for someone in particular to blame?
No, I know who to blame - the problem is that a lot of people don't because they have been trained to believe that corporations are our friend and everything that happens to a person is due to a 'character fault' or 'laziness'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies