Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 02:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,122,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Florida (no state tax) tends to make up for it in other ways, for instance, car registration: FL, 225, Ohio 31.

Florida's property taxes are, on average, LESS percentage wise than Ohio - but much more, per dollar - meaning, the cost of living in Ohio may seem "higher" to you - but you'll not get the same size house in Florida for the same price, right? That is ALSO cost of living. So now, the same house cost twice as much, tax rates slightly less - but you actually pay more dollars.

And so on. Bottom line is, nothing is free. As others pointed out - the topic header is misleading. There are only 8 states that do NOT have state income tax. Of those, only Tennessee shows a COL index significantly less than Ohio. 3 of them are in the top ten for MOST expensive. So - 16 percent of the (non income tax) states occupy 30% of the most expensive places to live. Seems like state income tax is not the smoking gun here.
My husband’s Nissan car registration is like $30 each year to renew. My passenger van is a lot heavier and costs more, like $115. Idk where the $225 is coming from. We don’t have emissions tests here, either, FWIW.

I beg to differ with the second para also as it’s highly dependent upon location, property size, etc.

TN is not totally income tax free as they tax dividends IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 02:44 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,890,962 times
225 came from FL DMV website.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/#mvfees

scroll down for "initial registration fee."

Property taxes are indeed dependent on the location -

Dade county is 1.02% (the Highest in FL) while Cuyahoga County (highest in ohio) is 2.5%.

Average home price in Miami ($550K) is a bit more than Cleveland ($100K) - means with half the tax rate, FL still rakes in more dollars. Alot more.

ohio does not have emissions testing either, btw.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Outside oddball circumstances that's hard to believe. Because according to The Tax Foundation for '22 the overall state and local tax burden was higher in WA than OH and looking back a few years that has held.

https://taxfoundation.org/publicatio...rden-rankings/
Don't believe reports like that. They do not account for individual circumstances.

The report shows Idaho and Washington as being equivalent in taxes. They are NOT.

I moved from Idaho to Washington and could not believe the increase my personal income.

I had a good paying job, and with no income tax, no sales tax on food and other necessary items I suddenly had plenty of investment monies. My lifestyle expenses are pretty low. I could easily save more money than half my income.

Idaho is a expensive state for people that do not spend money on toys. On the other hand Washington is very expensive for those that like spending money on toys.

Washington is an awful state due to overcrowding, but these days so is Idaho is not much better.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:51 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Don't believe reports like that. They do not account for individual circumstances.

The report shows Idaho and Washington as being equivalent in taxes. They are NOT.

I moved from Idaho to Washington and could not believe the increase my personal income.

I had a good paying job, and with no income tax, no sales tax on food and other necessary items I suddenly had plenty of investment monies. My lifestyle expenses are pretty low. I could easily save more money than half my income.

Idaho is a expensive state for people that do not spend money on toys. On the other hand Washington is very expensive for those that like spending money on toys.

Washington is an awful state due to overcrowding, but these days so is Idaho is not much better.
Yeah that matches my experience pretty much. Differences in taxes more than covered the difference in mortgage in WA. Preserved more income, and if you got your toys in OR you skipped the sales tax too.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:13 PM

19,886 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Sorry but a lifetime in economics has taught me that well collected, high confidence data matters most.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:16 PM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry but a lifetime in economics has taught me that well collected, high confidence data matters most.
Should consult the limitations and methodology of your source.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:33 PM

19,886 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Should consult the limitations and methodology of your source.
I've looked it over pretty hard in past. They do a great job.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:45 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,202,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
But, New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax, either. And, it's property tax rate is dependent on where you live in the state. Other New England states have high property taxes on top of high state income taxes and sales taxes, not including various other taxes and fees.
AL has a sales tax. So, as a percentage of disposable income, the tax hits hardest those who earn the least. Another regressive tax situation.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:52 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,593,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Income taxes are immoral. I'm going to be taxed for something I need to do to survive? That's like taxing me for the air I need to breathe.
Don't give the government any ideas .

Old 07-27-2023, 03:53 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,202,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Don't give the government any ideas .
Didn't someone in the Bible say to 'render to Ceasar'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies