Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 01:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's the Motor Voter rule that many states passed in the early 90s I think. It was where anyone who gets a driver's license gets a voter registration card as well, though it's only supposed to go to eligible voters. Every election year there will be immigration visa holders who say they received voter registration cards in the mail after they went to the DMV. I'm sure it's been happening for years.
No, incorrect, at least in CA. Unless you uncheck the box your info automatically goes to the state controller to see if you are eligible. If so you are registered to vote.

In fact there was some whole big thing just recently where a certain number did somehow get automatically registered…an employee made a mistake…everybody was screaming about it…so no…unless a job ending error is made, you aren’t automatically registered to vote when you’re at the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 02:44 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, incorrect, at least in CA. Unless you uncheck the box your info automatically goes to the state controller to see if you are eligible. If so you are registered to vote.

In fact there was some whole big thing just recently where a certain number did somehow get automatically registered…an employee made a mistake…everybody was screaming about it…so no…unless a job ending error is made, you aren’t automatically registered to vote when you’re at the DMV.
My state was a participant in an organization that has been around 10 years verifying voter registration information. Texas along with several other conservative states recently withdrew. Somehow ERIC made the conservatives chit list. I hope they are able to regroup to do the same work.

Before making charges against agencies being as corrupt, one should learn what is it is they actually do.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:34 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
None, because undocumented people are not allowed to vote.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:52 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Not a problem of any significance. I do not recall ever being asked about citizenship at the DMV and I am sure that there are a lot of non-citizens with driver's licenses. (Have you taken a taxi lately?) Residency was the thing they check. My state can accept a tax ID number if the person does not have a social security number. That would possibly allow some illegals to get a driver's license.

There is a bigger problem. While not as bad as many will claim, the voter registration system is state-by-state when it ought to be tied to a national registry and not tied to a state driver's license or anything else. States are supposed to cross-check voter registration with each other but that is not happening by my experience. I fully expect that I might be registered in my old state and my previous homeowner was registered at my address eight year after he moved to a different state.

In the 1800s you didn't need to be a citizen to vote. You could vote if you had gone through the "intent" phase but never followed up with actual naturalization.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:14 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"Replublicans (?) still need to fortify our voting before it's too late."

...it's already too late. The Replub's have hitched up to the trump train, but with the wildly unpopular attack on women's rights, electing bozo's like Tubberville, the trump train is just circling the station blowing it's whistle.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
  • WTH?!!

So now we have illegals being allowed to get driver licenses at the DMV in some states and in turn they are automatically sent a voting ballot?

I don't have a link. I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing this new way the dems are cheating.

Anyone hear of this? Is it true?

First off, are they having to prove they have auto-insurance? I doubt illegals care to get auto insurance. So there is no need for any documents. We just give them driver licenses without proof of real name, real address, background check to make sure they aren't drunks and drive drunk all the time, etc.?

So they can go get a U-Haul, go the the border and load up their illegal friends and drive them on in? Or they rent a huge truck and go to a busy area and run a bunch of real American citizens over?

Why are they getting voting ballots? You know these will be used for illegal voting. How is that not blatant cheating?

Republicans if this is true, we got to up our game.
Nothing new here ...during the Obama years the illegals coming in got a gift basket with a voter registration inside courtesy of the Democrat party.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:22 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Nothing new here ...during the Obama years the illegals coming in got a gift basket with a voter registration inside courtesy of the Democrat party.
That did not happen, stop lying.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:28 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I think you're talking about something different though right? Non citizens getting a license then automatically getting a mail in ballot sent to them. If I'm understanding you correctly. Sounds like something California would do and maybe Arizona. I don't know though.
Non citizen, with driver's license in California, and I have never been sent a mail-in ballot. I suspect the OP has fallen victim to a tall tale.

Jury summons, OTOH...

Old 09-21-2023, 05:21 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
So now we have illegals being allowed to get driver licenses at the DMV in some states and in turn they are automatically sent a voting ballot?

I don't have a link. I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing this new way the dems are cheating.

Anyone hear of this? Is it true?
Fake news; only eligible applicants who meet the criteria (which includes US citizen and 18 years of age) may be part of the Motor Voter program.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:02 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Another fantasy thread.

It's another "let's all sit around the table and complain about something that's not actually a problem" then you all nod in agreement satisfied with yourselves.

In the meantime, there are over 100 members of Republican leadership in several states who willingly and knowingly forged electoral documents, the equivalent of stealing the votes of hundreds of thousands of people, and you all don't even care

Even the Pennsylvania article clearly states that "The glitch has had no impact on elections, as the number of people mistakenly registered was small". And the problem was discovered and corrected. There have been literally dozens of states with motor voter in place and it has never had one incident where people mistakenly registered to vote could have affected the outcome of an election. Plus, when mistakes do happen, by the time we even know about it the problem has been corrected.

What motor-voter has done is make it possible for many more millions of ordinary law abiding citizens to exercise their rights to vote, and that is a very good thing. I am pretty sure that's also why you don't like it.

So while we have all this pearl clutching over a problem that doesn't exist we are still struggling to bring those Republican fake elector vote thief frauds to justice.
I tried repping you again but I need to spread it around.

Here is the 'proof' people are talking about! https://apnews.com/article/fact-chec...s-872467507455 "CLAIM: A new Massachusetts law providing driver’s licenses for immigrants in the country illegally will also automatically register them to vote in elections." Nope! Not true!

APnews ASSESSMENT: False. The law passed by Massachusetts state lawmakers this summer prohibits immigrants without legal permission to reside in the U.S. from being automatically registered to vote. The law specifically mandates that the state Registrar of Motor Vehicles develop procedures and regulations to ensure that license applicants who are not citizens are not automatically registered to vote." Cut, paste, and repeat for every single auto voter registration state. REST ASSURED, if it was real, any smart auditor, even the Ninjas out of AZ, would be on that topic like stink on crap! But as you suggested, it didn't happen, not did it?

It's incredibly disappointing how easily people are fooled. This got me thinking.... If someone is easily fooled, does that make them a fool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies