Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 08:17 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,537,615 times

Advertisements

Since I feel certain this will get controversial, I am putting this here. Can't believe tattoos didn't make the list. Maybe Buffett has no idea how expensive they are.

Warren Buffett: 12 things poor people should stop wasting money on to accumulate wealth

https://mintgenie.livemint.com/news/...51691461936865

Frequently visiting bars and pubs
Visiting bars and pubs frequently can add up. For this, Buffett suggests alternatives like home get-togethers that can help one save a significant amount.

Chasing tech
Buffett has a history of sticking to functional rather than flashy tech, says the report. Before buying the latest gadget, one needs to see if the upgrade is really providing added value for the price...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 08:22 AM

19,247 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Seems like most of his list applies to lower middle class who are living above their means, those that are truly poor are not buying new cars or getting gym memberships. I wonder what he recommends when your out of money and have a family to feed or house if you shouldn't use a credit card....

Old 11-24-2023, 08:24 AM

15,867 posts, read 6,565,059 times
Stop spending money on stuff that makes life interesting, people. I mean come on...

Old 11-24-2023, 08:29 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
What Buffet is listing is also in the book "The Millionaire Next Door".

It comes down to ...don't live above your means and pay yourself first.

We have a consumer society that is very materialistic.

What it comes down to...
It's not how much you make or how much you spend. It's how much you keep.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:29 AM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Well, I'm good to go as far as that list goes... nothing there that I have the least bit of interest in buying or doing.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Seems like most of his list applies to lower middle class who are living above their means, those that are truly poor are not buying new cars or getting gym memberships. I wonder what he recommends when your out of money and have a family to feed or house if you shouldn't use a credit card....
I agree. This list would be beneficial to young couples starting out and trying to save for their first house. This isn't appropriate for the generational poor, who wouldn't ever have a top of the line car within their grasp.

This list reminds me of Dave Ramsey's teachings, except the smoking. People who smoke are usually just doing the best they can, and are taking what little pleasure they can find, and have a rough life.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:39 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,769,929 times
Today's young (woke) people fresh out of college, continue to waste their entry level paychecks on alcohol, marijuana, restaurants, brunch, concerts/entertainment, travel while living in extremely expensive metros with incredibly high rent and no chance to ever save up for a down payment to own a single family house.

Then they wonder why they can't afford to purchase a house and start a family - like their parents did.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
Personally, he's not looking at the (even bigger) picture.

I definitely would identify as poor probably poverty class my mother was high poverty poor. I was never taught physical responsibility, or power through education, or being fiscally responsible.

So when you get someone who's 35 to 40 and poor, you've already come too late to a time to change usually. Now if they had kids, and the kids were like 10, yes you could change them, but the parents are doubtful for major retirement savings

Then you could start living fiscally responsible teaching your kids it might take a generation or two but by the end your grandkids would probably be in a much better situation than you were.

I mean I know the poor have credit cards but as such they're probably extremely limited on the amount they could charge, I really doubt they're going out there and wanting to work out when they're not willing to work hard at a job.

Of course that goes hand in hand with not smoking and living a life of healthy choices, which they obviously don't do.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:40 AM

18,463 posts, read 7,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. This list would be beneficial to young couples starting out and trying to save for their first house. This isn't appropriate for the generational poor, who wouldn't ever have a top of the line car within their grasp.

This list reminds me of Dave Ramsey's teachings, except the smoking. People who smoke are usually just doing the best they can, and are taking what little pleasure they can find, and have a rough life.

Plenty on this list is relevant to those who are actually poor.

Smoking probably the #1 thing.

Lots of poor people smoke/vape.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Personally, he's not looking at the (even bigger) picture.

I definitely would identify as poor probably poverty class my mother was high poverty poor. I was never taught physical responsibility, or power through education, or being fiscally responsible.

So when you get someone who's 35 to 40 and poor, you've already come too late to a time to change usually. Now if they had kids, and the kids were like 10, yes you could change them, but the parents are doubtful for major retirement savings

Then you could start living fiscally responsible teaching your kids it might take a generation or two but by the end your grandkids would probably be in a much better situation than you were.

I mean I know the poor have credit cards but as such they're probably extremely limited on the amount they could charge, I really doubt they're going out there and wanting to work out when they're not willing to work hard at a job.

Of course that goes hand in hand with not smoking and living a life of healthy choices, which they obviously don't do.
Almost all the working poor's jobs are manual labor, or physically demanding jobs that ruin knees and backs. They "work hard" in a way that the middle and upper middle class do not do.

Construction, landscaping, waitressing, housekeeping, medical caretaking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies