Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 09:36 PM

6,057 posts, read 3,780,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So much for, "my body, my choice, my freedoms."

Yet another thing others want to control.

It's almost as if people don't understand sex reassignment surgery is not something done on a whim, like someone getting a tattoo when drunk. It's a long process, starting with intense therapy (years in many cases).

I mean, sure, people could go about living their own lives, but why, when there's someone in the world who is doing something that they don't like. They must be controlled!
My understanding is that we are talking about minors here, not adults. I think that adults should have the legal right to decide things (especially regarding life-changing permanent alterations) for their minor children. In particular, the parents should be able to override the child's decision to have such life-changing surgery until the child is 18 years old at which time the 18 year old could make their own decisions.

Suppose your 6-year-old kid decided that having artificial legs would be cool. Should this kid be allowed to decide to have his legs cut off in order to look cool? I don't think so. Neither should he be allowed to decide to have his whacker cut off until he is old enough (18) to legally decide that for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 09:46 PM

18,176 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
My understanding is that we are talking about minors here, not adults. I think that adults should have the legal right to decide things (especially regarding life-changing permanent alterations) for their minor children. In particular, the parents should be able to override the child's decision to have such life-changing surgery until the child is 18 years old at which time the 18 year old could make their own decisions.

Where are minor children having gender surgery, without parental permission, in the U.S.?

Old 12-30-2023, 10:39 PM

175 posts, read 69,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Exactly, I can bet 95% of us on this forum did something in their younger years to fit in or be part of a group - be it wear a certain style, pierce themselves, try booze and cigarettes - not because we really wanted to but everyone was doing it and we didn't want to stand out by not doing it. This whole trans thing is no different and in a few years they'll be on to something else meanwhile most of those that have had the surgery will live to regret it.
I 100% agree. I think the biggest difference between this fad and the fads of our youth is that big pharma stands to make a lot of money off the life-long care these kids will require. Hence all the political support.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:09 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,396,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer21 View Post
So, diddlydudette, don't you quite strongly agree with some Republican legislators who feel that transgender kids who can't legally get treatment should just go kill themselves, so society can be set free from dealing with who or what they are as human beings?
No "transgender" children can legally get "treatment", and none can be denied "treatment". There is no treatment.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:31 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,396,550 times
Quote:
Okay, so let transgender kids go kill themselves. A conservative, hateful society thinks they are disgusting freaks of nature that need to please go away.
You're the one who wants them to kill themselves. You need to stop the emotional appeals. They don't work when the people you're appealing to are more compassionate than you. They're not "freaks of nature", and they're not "freaks" at all until after you've given them hormones/surgery. For almost all of them, the "transgender" thing is a phase they will grow out of if you don't ruin their futures in the mean time.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:32 AM

17,467 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Quote:
Okay, so let transgender kids go kill themselves. A conservative, hateful society thinks they are disgusting freaks of nature that need to please go away.
First, kids who present with gender dysphoria typically have a slew of other mental health issues. There is nothing that pinpoints suicidal ideation to the inability to transition specifically.

And even if I took what you say at face value, where are the decades of statistics of kids killings themselves over gender dysphoria before “treatment” was available?

Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Dewine vetoed the anti-trans bill after taking time to actually talk to doctors and the families that would be impacted. Now he's not invited to Trump's parties anymore.
"You're not invited to my party" is something a 13 yr old might say.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:39 AM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Quote:
But conservatives are quite highly alarmed that there are more transgender kids than ever before. When I went to high school there were no boys IDing as female and wanting to use the girls' restroom.
Yet they show little concern over the pollution of endocrine disruptors that have been linked and balk at industry regulations.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:51 AM

27,190 posts, read 15,367,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Oh is this about gender affirming care for kids? Sick.
Gender denial actually.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:03 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,307,478 times
I was fairly shocked by this move, he is in his last term but you'd figure he'd have some fear this hurts the party in the state and maybe helps Brown next year somewhat unless he is playing mind games and feels the reverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies