Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The OP said a heck of a lot more than just that, but media plays a part, a big part, in how people think. Why do you think people show up here to repeat the exact narrative the media released only moments ago? Is it a co-incidence that they are suddenly saying the same exact things?

What you choose to believe or not believe is of no interest to me.

You can post your CC statements if you want to discuss them. I maintain zero balance on mine.

Why would WSJ lie? Home owners ARE better off after big appreciation in value. 401K owners ARE better off. Employment situation IS in good shape. The whole argument is about the fact that people feel pessimistic despite of the overall economy being strong, and the posters here are proving the point
So I read the Reddit sub for my city (Denver). And it’s full of entitled leftists complaining about the cost of living, the cost of rent, and the cost of real estate, the cost of food. Are you telling me that they are falling prey to propaganda and not experiencing these issues in their day-to-day lives?

I get it, the stock market is doing well and apparently folks who need a job should be able to find one, despite massive layoffs we’ve seen lately in the tech industry. But things aren’t great for some groups of people and I don’t think the group I mentioned here is watching conservative media. Instead, they’re shopping for groceries, shopping for apartments and comparing the monthly rent, shopping for car insurance while premiums are sky-high because of poor Democrat policy (we have lots of uninsured illegal alien drivers here, as well as a massive car theft problem due to botched Democrat Policy), shopping for groceries at still-elevated prices, etc etc.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.columbo View Post
Your Electric went up 50%, so did your home owners, food, car prices, consumer goods
No, it didn't, - not even close.

Quote:
AND your crime rate has increased,
No, it has decreased across the board.

Quote:
Do we really have a 'Legit President' ???
Um....yes.

Thanks you for being a PRIME example of the negative mindset the article talks about. Not only are you negative, you actually exaggerate your negativity by pretending things are worse than they are. THIS is what the article is about.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:09 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
No, it didn't, - not even close.

No, it has decreased across the board.
Weren't you telling us how Florida is one of the most expensive states? My home owners and car insurance went up about 20% this year and 20% the year before. Food is up about 30%. My electric went up from $130 in the winter to $170 with FPL.

**edit - my neighbors voted for Biden. They are retired. All they do is complain about how expensive everything is.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If your side really believed "United We Stand"....
I don't speak for a side, I speak for myself. I believe in UNITED States, which is why I do not want Biden or Trump, but Haley to take the lead. Enough with the division.

Quote:
then WHY do you insist on an open border and importing millions and millions of 3rd world people, for your own selfish political reasons
I didn't. Why did you insist on it?

Quote:
Why did you fight Trump tooth and nail for 4 years, never giving him a break on anything?
Because he is an idiot, and I do not wish to be represented by idiots. Why do you want an idiot to lead you by the hand?

And why did you bring Trump into the discussion?

Old 02-07-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Weren't you telling us how Florida is one of the most expensive states? My home owners and car insurance went up about 20% this year and 20% the year before. Food is up about 30%. My electric went up from $130 in the winter to $170 with FPL.
Correct. Florida housing market is among the least affordable in US, and Miami is #1 least affordable city. Inflation in FL is indeed worst in the nation. In a nation of 50 States, someone has to be fists and someone has to be last. Why?

Quote:
**edit - my neighbors voted for Biden. They are retired. All they do is complain about how expensive everything is.
Ummmm......ok. And? This is not about Biden.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:12 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Inflation was very real and felt by all of us. It's now under control but the 4% rate or whatever it is would be on top of the already inflated prices. So yes I do understand that part.

But the rest? By nearly every measuring stick the economy is doing very well. Our investments have returned, the much anticipated recession still has not occurred.

But let's face facts. The Trump people will never be able to acknowledge all of this due to their hate of all libs.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:13 AM

10,815 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
You can post your CC statements if you want to discuss them.

Why would WSJ lie?

why? Im not the one making stuff up.

And the WSJ didnt lie, it was not quoted, MSN took select words and spliced them together. Are you telling me you didnt read your own source?

Go back to the link again and read PAST the first 3 paragraphs.

The CLEARLY blame it on:
Quote:
Americans feel sour about the economy, many say, because their long-term financial security feels fragile and vulnerable to wide-ranging social and political threats.
- woke and Biden...

Or the s for brains teachings of woke colleges:
Quote:
Reliable steps up the economic ladder, such as a college degree, no longer look like a good investment.
$200K for a degree in transgender studies does not look to be a good investment anymore

Or the entire Biden admin and the 2 wars they have us in at present
Quote:
War overseas, and an emboldened set of hostile nations, have made the world feel dangerous. Uninspiring leaders at home, running a government widely seen as dysfunctional, have left people without hope that America is up to the challenge of fixing its problems.

Or just reality
Quote:
Consumer sentiment, as measured by the University of Michigan, recently posted the biggest two-month increase since 1991. Yet it remains about 20% lower than during the robust economy of early 2020, just before the Covid-19 pandemic started, and it stands at about levels typically seen at the end of a recession rather than in an economy posting solid growth.

You know, the recession we had by all metrics that Biden said was our lying eyes.

And again blaming Biden
Quote:
Interviews with Americans across the country—some affluent, some just scraping by; some with advanced degrees and others with blue-collar jobs; some Republican, some Democrat—show they are weighed down by fears of an unpredictable world in which no one in government or business is competent to steer the nation through precarious times.
“You could argue unemployment is 3.7%, but who cares with this level of uncertainty?” said Arguello. “Because that’s what people are feeling. They’re not feeling hope. They’re not feeling one country. They’re feeling a divisive, divided United States of America.”
No ‘coherent plan’

Wasnt this division the chief objective of Obama, tempered by the thought of 'make america great' only to be dashed on the rocks the last 3 years and told making america great is a BAD thing - daily?

The people in the trenches are not fooled
Quote:

Theresa Foster estimates her family’s net worth is up because the value of their home in suburban Albany, N.Y., has risen around 20% since the pandemic started. “But every time I go to the store I am shocked by the prices,” said Foster, who earns more than $200,000 combined with her husband’s income. “I feel like we’re on really thin ice, that it’s really fragile, that neither political party has any theoretical foundation for what they want to do with the economy.”

Foster, 57, earned a master’s degree on GI Bill benefits and works part time at a nonprofit, while her husband works full time in human resources. To her, the notion that cooling inflation should ease her financial worries is akin to telling a person who is bleeding out that the flow of blood has slowed.

And these people are not dumb, they know who screwed this up - Biden and no one else
Quote:

What upsets her, she said, is that the government continues to spend money while racking up blunders, such as the botched withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan. None of that instills confidence in leaders’ ability to handle other complex issues.
“I feel like no matter what they tell me about the economy, they don’t really know, because they don’t have a coherent plan,” she said.

More people in the trenches (with an unfortunate name spelling)
Quote:

Funck, the nurse in Milford, Ohio, said she sees the country’s decline in the high number of uninsured and unhoused patients whom she cares for at a large Cincinnati medical center.
“The politicians seem to be making out really good and then everybody else is struggling,” said Funck, who is 52 and an independent voter who backed Biden in 2020. She earns about $90,000 a year, had her student loans forgiven after two decades, and has no children to support. Still, she constantly fears she’ll be derailed by an unexpected expense, and worries that the wars in Gaza and Ukraine could push up the prices of oil and grain.
After her mortgage and car payments, groceries and utility bills, there’s very little left over, she said. She’s prioritized saving for retirement “because I’m not expecting Social Security to be around, and I have to be able to support myself.”
<---and this is after biden handed her how many tens of thousands FREE?

And more reality from people in the trenches
Quote:

While many groups of Americans have made gains during the pandemic recovery, some cracks have emerged.
Americans in lower-paying industries saw some of the strongest pay raises in recent years, but wage growth is now slowing overall, and more so for these workers. Research from the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas found that low-income households disproportionately bear the brunt of inflation, in part because of the high share of their income that goes toward food, gas and rent. <----gee, what everyone NORMAL here has said for a coupl-a years now

While inflation has cooled substantially from its peak in 2022, wage growth only began to outpace price increases in mid-2023, meaning many Americans are still reeling from a long stretch in which it felt like
their earnings couldn’t go far enough.

and even more reality
Quote:

James Welch, a married father of two, moved his family from Atlanta to Plano, Texas, to take a job as a manager at an online fitness company after he was laid off early in the pandemic from a hotel company. Last July, he was laid off again.
Welch, 49, said he’s depleted close to $450,000 in retirement and emergency savings in recent years to fund the move, medical expenses and costs for two children in college. His wife’s salary of roughly $72,000 annually as an operations manager is keeping the family afloat.
Welch said he thinks he was the victim of cost-cutting moves at the company. He said shortly after he was laid off, he saw his job reposted for lower pay.

And I could go on, I have not even pulled out 1/3 of the article yet and I read it.

So no the WSJ didnt lie at all. Nor did the people they quoted.

The only one who lied is anyone who didnt read the article, yet posted it so 'show us' how good Biden is.

Every single Ill they mention in the article is the fault of Joseph R Biden and NO ONE ELSE.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:14 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
I don't speak for a side, I speak for myself. I believe in UNITED States, which is why I do not want Biden or Trump, but Haley to take the lead. Enough with the division.

I didn't. Why did you insist on it?

Because he is an idiot, and I do not wish to be represented by idiots. Why do you want an idiot to lead you by the hand?

And why did you bring Trump into the discussion?
I don't wish to be represented by the illegitimate idiot that's in there now.

Your turn.

Haley isn't going to be president.

Just break up the country already please.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:15 AM

5,918 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Quote:
Correct. Florida housing market is among the least affordable in US, and Miami is #1 least affordable city. Inflation in FL is indeed worst in the nation. In a nation of 50 States, someone has to be fists and someone has to be last. Why?
And yet Florida's population is growing because those that relocate from metros with insane cost of living standards can live really well in Florida, often doubling or tripling their space.

Pay for a studio/1b no frills apartment in NYC, or live in a 3/2 ranch in Florida on a large lot and still save cash.

The state of Florida isn't that bad. The cost of living is MUCH lower than the top ten states. It falls right in the middle, coming in at 21st place.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tes-to-live-in

Old 02-07-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I don't wish to be represented by the illegitimate idiot that's in there now.

Your turn.
Neither do I. Everything in your mind revolves around political leaders, and that's a part of the problem. Its impossible for such people to be happy unless their political leader in in office.

Quote:
Haley isn't going to be president.
If you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
And yet Florida's population is growing because those that relocate from metros with insane cost of living standards can live really well in Florida, often doubling or tripling their space.

Pay for a studio/1b no frills apartment in NYC, or live in a 3/2 ranch in Florida on a large lot and still save cash.
If you say so, but this not a thread about Florida. I live in Florida, so I know the property tax on a 2 br house in SE Florida is $9000, and wages are low. It is what it is. Ranch......LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies