Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 06:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

This is my personal observation as well. It doesn't matter what how strong the economic indicators are, or how well individuals are doing, because people are still mired in pessimism and negativity. Just read the commentary on this social media site. The below line in the article seems to explain that its not about the economy, but about the division we see in the US, and it seems we are looking at that getting far worse after Nov 20.

"They’re not feeling one country. They’re feeling a divisive, divided United States of America.”

United we stand, divided we fall. So true, which is why I was really hoping for Haley to win, but it doesn't seem like its going to happen.

Other reasons for the negativity and pessimism? Open FOX, and watch for 30 mins, and you'll come out thinking the world is about to end. You'll see 100% negative reporting. They have a story to sell, and the story is "everything sucks".

Why Americans Are So Down on a Strong Economy - Wall Street Journal
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...b98bf548&ei=36
Clayton Wiles, a truck driver in North Carolina, earns about 20% more than three years ago. Kristine Funck, a nurse in Ohio, has won steady pay raises, built retirement savings and owns her home. Alfredo Arguello, who opened a restaurant outside Nashville when the pandemic hit, now owns a second one and employs close to 50 people.

But ask any of them about the state of the American economy, and the same gloominess surfaces. “Unstable” is how Arguello describes it. Said Funck: “Even though I’m OK right now, there’s a sense it could all go away in a second.”

There’s a striking disconnect between the widely shared pessimism among Americans and measures that show the economy is actually robust. Consumers are spending briskly—behavior that suggests optimism, not retrenchment. Inflation has tempered. Unemployment has been below 4% for 24 straight months, the longest such stretch since the 1960s.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:42 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Never mind your lying household bills, shrinking bank account and rising credit card balance, if they call this a “strong economy” it must be so.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Never mind your lying household bills, shrinking bank account and rising credit card balance, if they call this a “strong economy” it must be so.
Sorry to hear about your account shrinkage and rising credit card balance. Most of us have had better success.

Consider food stamps.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:49 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
So this negative sentiment is the fault of Fox News?

Old 02-07-2024, 06:55 AM

10,851 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sorry to hear about your account shrinkage and rising credit card balance. Most of us have had better success.

Consider food stamps.

you must have a strange definition for 'most'

'most' americans (technically 51%) report the exact opposite of what you do. but in this case most is in the 70 and 80 percents, depending on item discussed.

Show us YOUR credit card statements. Simply cuz I dont believe the claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
So this negative sentiment is the fault of Fox News?
The OP said a heck of a lot more than just that, but media plays a part, a big part, in how people think. Why do you think people show up here to repeat the exact narrative the media released only moments ago? Is it a co-incidence that they are suddenly saying the same exact things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Show us YOUR credit card statements. Simply cuz I dont believe the claims
What you choose to believe or not believe is of no interest to me.

You can post your CC statements if you want to discuss them. I maintain zero balance on mine.

Why would WSJ lie? Home owners ARE better off after big appreciation in value. 401K owners ARE better off. Employment situation IS in good shape. The whole argument is about the fact that people feel pessimistic despite of the overall economy being strong, and the posters here are proving the point

629 posts, read 963,076 times
I think for me, it's a combination of things being really crappy a year or two ago, that even since then, although I got a few raises, my 401k is back to where it was, no credit card balance, etc., it still takes awhile to mentally recover from that down period. That, coupled with external factors, such as the migrant crisis, stupid laws here in NY benefiting criminals, etc., a President that maybe has successes, but is still old as dirt, make it harder to feel good overall.

And this is coming from someone that does lean more D than R.

161 posts, read 86,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
LOL... Yep

Biden created one of the biggest turn around economies of the 21rst century --- (mind you, all he did was NOTHING) --- those jobs came back after COVID. Same jobs and less rights in the work place: ---- 'you take that worthless shot that increases your risk of Heart-attack or you're fired.'

Your Electric went up 50%, so did your home owners, food, car prices, consumer goods --- your effective wage increase was -10% --- your making less than 10% NOW post Biden.

AND your crime rate has increased, and government graft and corruption increased, Do we really have a 'Legit President' ??? --- seem like he can't even find his way off stage after blathering for 15 mins about his experience as a Truck Driver!

We hear you --- but the 1% can't.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is my personal observation as well. It doesn't matter what how strong the economic indicators are, or how well individuals are doing, because people are still mired in pessimism and negativity. Just read the commentary on this social media site. The below line in the article seems to explain that its not about the economy, but about the division we see in the US, and it seems we are looking at that getting far worse after Nov 20.

"They’re not feeling one country. They’re feeling a divisive, divided United States of America.”

United we stand, divided we fall. So true, which is why I was really hoping for Haley to win, but it doesn't seem like its going to happen.

Other reasons for the negativity and pessimism? Open FOX, and watch for 30 mins, and you'll come out thinking the world is about to end. You'll see 100% negative reporting. They have a story to sell, and the story is "everything sucks".

Why Americans Are So Down on a Strong Economy - Wall Street Journal
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...b98bf548&ei=36
Clayton Wiles, a truck driver in North Carolina, earns about 20% more than three years ago. Kristine Funck, a nurse in Ohio, has won steady pay raises, built retirement savings and owns her home. Alfredo Arguello, who opened a restaurant outside Nashville when the pandemic hit, now owns a second one and employs close to 50 people.

But ask any of them about the state of the American economy, and the same gloominess surfaces. “Unstable” is how Arguello describes it. Said Funck: “Even though I’m OK right now, there’s a sense it could all go away in a second.”

There’s a striking disconnect between the widely shared pessimism among Americans and measures that show the economy is actually robust. Consumers are spending briskly—behavior that suggests optimism, not retrenchment. Inflation has tempered. Unemployment has been below 4% for 24 straight months, the longest such stretch since the 1960s.
If your side really believed "United We Stand".... then WHY do you insist on an open border and importing millions and millions of 3rd world people, for your own selfish political reasons (in other words, VOTES)?

Why did you fight Trump tooth and nail for 4 years, never giving him a break on anything?

Answer the questions please.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:00 AM

5,930 posts, read 2,758,827 times
Why Americans Are So Down on a Strong Economy - WSJ

Easy. People are working harder and longer hours to be able to afford the things that required less hours to be worked in the recent past.

Households are racking up debt in an attempt to maintain their lifestyles.

Many are working two jobs in our fantastic gig economy we've concocted.

Inflation has hit the working class hard, while the jet setting elite lecture them on their lifestyle choices of driving a car, cooking food on a gas stove, etc etc etc.

No end in sight of federal deficit spending, national debt exploding, threatening the very existence of our once great nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.