Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:47 PM

161 posts, read 86,755 times

Advertisements

I remember this... what a horrible Tragedy.

Cop shopping in Costco, off-duty, gets knocked down by intellectually disabled man. Cops response was to shoot the man and his parents *(shot 3 people, none-armed). He let off 10 rounds before stopping. Killed the disabled man and wounded his senior Parents !

https://www.pressenterprise.com/2024...attorney-says/

What's even more Tragic, they let this Cop Skate !

I can't help but think 'Jura's were planted by LA DA and defense attorney' --- Who in their Right mind would let this MURDERER go Free ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 02:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 855,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.columbo View Post

Cop shopping in Costco, off-duty, gets knocked down by intellectually disabled man. Cops response was to shoot the man and his parents *(shot 3 people, none-armed). He let off 10 rounds before stopping. Killed the disabled man and wounded his senior Parents !

I can't help but think 'Jura's were planted by LA DA and defense attorney' --- Who in their Right mind would let this MURDERER go Free ???

I remember this case. I remember my impulsive reaction to seeing it was no reasonable minded human being would’ve even thought to start firing on these people in that situation must less a law-enforcement officer who has other means at his disposal. It was disgusting and is one of those cases that leaves you nauseous in the pit of your stomach. Police officers are not trained to work with developmentally disabled people. I used to manage and run group homes, and occasionally the police would come when someone would get out of order. Most of the time totally harmless. But they showed up with their guns drawn and the swat team, and dogs and spotlights, and everything else. Almost shot one of the residents one time because he was throwing a couch around in the front yard. This person had the IQ and the mental capacity of an eight-year-old. And they still almost shot him.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:58 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

That’s messed up! And it’s taxpayers who pay for his murder. The parents were awarded 7 million and he probably still gets his pension.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:01 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I remember this case. I remember my impulsive reaction to seeing it was no reasonable minded human being would’ve even thought to start firing on these people in that situation must less a law-enforcement officer who has other means at his disposal. It was disgusting and is one of those cases that leaves you nauseous in the pit of your stomach. Police officers are not trained to work with developmentally disabled people. I used to manage and run group homes, and occasionally the police would come when someone would get out of order. Most of the time totally harmless. But they showed up with their guns drawn and the swat team, and dogs and spotlights, and everything else. Almost shot one of the residents one time because he was throwing a couch around in the front yard. This person had the IQ and the mental capacity of an eight-year-old. And they still almost shot him.
What disposal are you talking about? His secret Kungfu techniques he learned from the Shaolin temple?

That LAPD cop was off duty and he had his toddler in his arms.

If you are going condemn this cop. That’s fine. But at least post accurate information

Old 02-22-2024, 03:07 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I didn’t sit through the trial but I trust the jury would have voted to convict if he was guilty. Moral of this story is don’t attack people while they’re holding their kid.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 02-22-2024, 03:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times
From the article, it states he won't be "Retried". He already had one trial, which was a mistrial due to a deadlocked jury. But it didn't even appear it was close. Seems to be on every count they were leaning heavily toward acquittal.

Perhaps the State didn't put a good case forward, or perhaps there wasn't a case to begin with.

As for the Civil Suit. That has a much lower bar to find the person responsible than a Criminal Trial. But even there he was found to have acted within the policy of the department and therefore they were responsible, even though the department itself said he didn't rule within policy and had fired him.

Interesting how many people seem to be making snap judgments but posting information that isn't part of the facts.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
If I am carrying my 2 year old grandson and someone slugs me, the response will be similar.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:25 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I always thought that a mistrial was declared only after a very serious mistake was made, but it turns out I was wrong.

If the information in this link is correct, maybe this might educate a few people besides me.

https://thedefenders.net/blogs/hung-...%20hung%20jury.
Quote:
What Happens After a Hung Jury

After a Hung Jury, the just will declare a mistrial and a new trial will be set. The prosecution has several options in this situation:

Retrial: The prosecution may decide to retry the case. This is often the most common outcome after a hung jury. The decision to retry typically depends on the severity of the crime, the strength of the evidence, and the degree of disagreement among the jurors.

Plea Bargain: The prosecution and defense could negotiate a plea deal. After a hung jury, the prosecution might be more open to offering a more favorable plea deal to avoid the uncertainty and expense of another trial.

Dismissal: In some cases, like in this old murder case in Nevada, the prosecution may choose to dismiss the charges entirely, particularly if they believe that another trial would not result in a conviction. This decision is typically made when the evidence against the defendant is weak or if the jury was heavily leaning towards acquittal.

Further Deliberation: Occasionally, the judge may ask the jury to deliberate further in an attempt to reach a unanimous decision; otherwise known as an “Allen charge”. This is a request for jurors to reconsider their views and attempt to reach a consensus.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-22-2024 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 03:57 PM

161 posts, read 86,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
From the article, it states he won't be "Retried". He already had one trial, which was a mistrial due to a deadlocked jury. But it didn't even appear it was close. Seems to be on every count they were leaning heavily toward acquittal.

Perhaps the State didn't put a good case forward, or perhaps there wasn't a case to begin with.

As for the Civil Suit. That has a much lower bar to find the person responsible than a Criminal Trial. But even there he was found to have acted within the policy of the department and therefore they were responsible, even though the department itself said he didn't rule within policy and had fired him.

Interesting how many people seem to be making snap judgments but posting information that isn't part of the facts.
Are you Familiar with this Case... are you from LA ?

Old 02-22-2024, 06:04 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Are you Familiar with this Case... are you from LA ?

In this day and age? Perhaps if you watch local news, hear local talk radio or still get the LA Times you might gain more insight and think you know something the jury was not allowed to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies