Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. government on Tuesday announced it would sharply limit the fees that credit card companies can charge customers who fall behind on their bills, aiming to cap the penalties at $8 in a move that is expected to draw fierce resistance from financial giants.
Quote:
Last May, the American Bankers Association and other lobbying groups representing Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Visa warned that the policy would force them to limit the perks they offer cardholders.

In doing so, they appeared to lay the groundwork to sue the government.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...location=alert

Wow, and folks claimed the other guy was a dictator.

Welp, we can add more people to the list of those who will never vote for Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Argentina DID control the economy during the pandemic and they ended up with 200% inflation.

Now the US is trying to do what Argentina did.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:18 AM

The Federal Government is going from regulating the economy to controlling the economy and that is NOT a good thing.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:49 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
There goes Biden pandering and trying to buy votes again.

The interest rates are crazy on most credit cards but we know this when we sign up for them so people that are smart with their money know not to charge up the cards with no idea on how to pay them off. I think the responsible among us pay off the balance each month or carry very little.

The Feds getting involved with this is not a good idea because it will back fire like most plans they come up with and it will cost the average citizen MORE.

What is it with the Dems and their WAR on Capitalism?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There goes Biden pandering and trying to buy votes again.

The interest rates are crazy on most credit cards but we know this when we sign up for them so people that are smart with their money know not to charge up the cards with no idea on how to pay them off. I think the responsible among us pay off the balance each month or carry very little.

The Feds getting involved with this is not a good idea because it will back fire like most plans they come up with and it will cost the average citizen MORE.

What is it with the Dems and their WAR on Capitalism?
Argentina did this during the pandemic and inflation shot up to 200%.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:51 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Fees are excessive but some credit card companies only charge a late fee. Others jack up the interest rate after a late payment regardless of payment history or length of time with them. The interest rate is the real killer. I'd rather pay a late fee with the same or lower interest rate.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Politicians love to pass laws like this so they can crow about how they helped.

Meanwhile, the companies just adjust by restricting credit or benefits or lowering service etc. etc.

I can appreciate regulation aimed at stopping things that are truly predatory or fraudulent etc. but I've seen the government create big problems out of small ones by "helping".

Old 03-05-2024, 08:56 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
I agree with Biden on nothing but I don't think this is the worst idea. Yeah everyone knows when they get a credit card that the rates are absurd when you consider what the banks are paying for the money.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:09 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Argentina DID control the economy during the pandemic and they ended up with 200% inflation.

Now the US is trying to do what Argentina did.
I agree. We’re about to see a lot of inflation.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:11 AM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Why do they always try and justify this as helping the "Average" American...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erability.html

Quote:
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) finalized a rule Tuesday to limit late payment fees issued by credit card companies, a move the agency says will reduce the typical fee by 75 percent and save U.S. consumers an average of $220 per year.
If someone meets their obligation every month it won't save that consumer anything...because they don't pay fees. These fees are only for people who are late.

The only thing this does is encourage people who are chronically late to continue the pattern because it is now "cheaper" to be late. When I was younger, I was late on some cards...getting the high late fee sure cured me of thinking that was a good thing quickly.

However, having the Government come in and change the terms because they feel that the banks are making too much money is not the way to go.

The banks are going to make this up somehow or dump these "problem" payers. People who are late may only be paying $8. But that "no-fee" credit card that they have that is meant for your average borrower now has an annual fee of $50 that everyone must pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies