Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

3,465 posts, read 2,799,359 times

Advertisements

Boy the way Van Halen played
Songs that made your mom afraid
Dudes like us we had it made
Those were the days

And you knew what to wear theeeeennnnnnn
Sears was out Polo was in
Mister we could use a man like Ronald Reagan agaaaaiiinnn

Didn’t need no deep state
Very few were overweight
Gee our old Caprice ran great
Those were the daaaaaaayyyyyysssssss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

1,570 posts, read 911,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Boy the way Van Halen played
Songs that made your mom afraid
Dudes like us we had it made
Those were the days

And you knew what to wear theeeeennnnnnn
Sears was out Polo was in
Mister we could use a man like Ronald Reagan agaaaaiiinnn

Didn’t need no deep state
Very few were overweight
Gee our old Caprice ran great
Those were the daaaaaaayyyyyysssssss!
Human civilization peaked 1975 to 1985. We were lucky to be coming of age then. The only part of that song that you couldn't use for the 80s: "Goils was goils and men was men..." We had already passed peak androgyny by then.

But wasn't it amazing how many of our mother's were very religious back then. They really did believe our music was from satan. The Church Lady on SNL was real.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

9,116 posts, read 6,334,220 times
Very good! I always wanted to fully update that song for the current 40 year gap (2020s vs 1980s) but couldn't come up with all the lines. We share Ronald Reagan but I was using Def Leppard for 80's music.

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

6,697 posts, read 2,986,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post

But wasn't it amazing how many of our mother's were very religious back then. They really did believe our music was from satan. The Church Lady on SNL was real.
And Dungeons and Dragon's made kids climb up skyscrappers and leap off!

I am so glad I grew up before the cacophony of toxic social media dug its roots in.

Our parents had no problem with Van or Def or Joan. But I am gonna be that Church lady when it comes to Social Media!!!

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

10,497 posts, read 7,026,221 times
There was a 15 year period of really superior music being made from ~1976 - 1989

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 6,334,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
The only part of that song that you couldn't use for the 80s: "Goils was goils and men was men..." We had already passed peak androgyny by then.
Yep. The whole reason that line exists in the original is because the late 60s and 70s were the beginnings of the loosening of gender norms.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

9,472 posts, read 10,816,601 times
We Gen Xers have graduated to “you kids get off my lawn”. As a generation we have the strongest case for getting grumpy with the youth than any generation ever has. These
kids have degraded our country like no other generation ever has.

Our generation on the other hand NEVER had a youth rebellion, we did not try to change the world and we loved America. We worked hard even though we had it pretty tough job wise, especially in our young years. We were punished hard by the Great Recession, some were ruined by that event yet we still kept working hard. We have scraped and crawled for every thing we have. Yes we look down on those youths with their hands stuck out. No life ain’t fair but the big bad world owes you nothing. We have no respect for the thin skinned nature of todays kids. No one has a right to not be offended. I’m not saying we were perfect but we at least put effort into doing things right. Clearly our greatest failure was properly raising the next generation. Everyone saw that failure in the riots a few years ago. We are now watching more of that same failure on our campuses.

Our generation is probably going to really be into the 55 plus communities. Our only defense against the damage they are doing to our country is going to be to isolate ourselves from it.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

25,800 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't realize just how great the era was (I would put it from 1970 through about 1987 or so). I consider myself lucky to have grown up and lived through those years. Nothing is perfect... but it was a whole lot closer then than now.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

20,081 posts, read 20,883,901 times
I hated the 80’s in the 80’s. And in the 90’s. By the 2000’s I kinda didn’t care either way, because I didn’t like the 2000’s either.
But now? Lol I’d give my left nut to go back in time to the 80’s.
I might give up both nuts to go back to the 70’s.
The Clintons took a dump, & Obama flushed the bowl.
We’ve been in the sewer ever since.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

7,393 posts, read 3,840,876 times
The oldest X'ers could vote for Reagan's second term, but not his first term.

The Late-Cohort Boomers voted in both elections. That time was clearly the Late-Cohort Boomer's time.

The X'ers were more of the Clinton era. Clinton and Grunge. Yech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies