Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should This Be A Crime: Woman accused of taking part in a MySpace hoax that ended in a 13-year-old g
It Should NOT Be A Crime. 9 15.25%
It should be just a federal crime 5 8.47%
It should be just a state crime 6 10.17%
It should be both a state and federal crime 28 47.46%
Not Sure 9 15.25%
Children below 18 years old should NOT be on the internet 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,328,309 times

Advertisements

Please read this full story.

Internet suicide case goes to federal court
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent Mon Jun 16, 2008

Internet suicide case goes to federal court - Yahoo! News (broken link)

LOS ANGELES - A Missouri woman accused of taking part in a MySpace hoax that ended with a 13-year-old girl's suicide has so far avoided state charges — but not federal ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
This whole stories breaks my heart that anyone would say such things to a girl who they KNEW was emotionally fragile.

The article doesn't mention this but the girl had a history of emotional problems and had attempted to harm herself before. The friend and her Mother KNEW this when they created the Myspace account and faked the relationship with the boy, then having the boy turn against her and humiliate her.

Someone like that shouldn't be in charge of shaping the mind of a child but I'm not sure what legally they can do in this matter. It will be an interesting case to watch.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,328,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This whole stories breaks my heart that anyone would say such things to a girl who they KNEW was emotionally fragile.

The article doesn't mention this but the girl had a history of emotional problems and had attempted to harm herself before. The friend and her Mother KNEW this when they created the Myspace account and faked the relationship with the boy, then having the boy turn against her and humiliate her.

Someone like that shouldn't be in charge of shaping the mind of a child but I'm not sure what legally they can do in this matter. It will be an interesting case to watch.
I'd like to hear the explanation why this should not be a crime. That woman is a disgrace to motherhood!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I'd like to hear the explanation why this should not be a crime. That woman is a disgrace to motherhood!
I'm not saying it shouldn't be a crime, I think this woman is a disgrace in general but to think that a Mother of a teenage girl on top of it all. Its just disgusting.

There are many things that are really wrong that they can't make stick for it being a crime. To me because this woman knew of this girls problems before, for her to start something like this and participate or even allow her minor child to participate should be at least wreckless endangerment.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
You've got that right, it's horrable that an adult would do such a thing.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
It's unthinkable and cruel. But I don't see a crime being committed.

I do not condone her behavior, mind you.

I just don't see where we can make that a crime without creating a slippery slope free-speech wise, etc.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
I don't think what this woman did had anything to do with free speech, she tricked the girl into thinking she was someone who liked her and then put her down in a horrable way and told her the world would be better off without her, what she did was a crime.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,772 times
Basiclly she didnt kill her but she put events in play for her to kill herself. It's a crime and she should do A long time for it. Just because she didnt kill her doesnt mean it wasnt a crime.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
I think it should NOT be a crime. It should be a civil matter. Nobody did physical harm to the girl. She did that herself. If somebody post something in here- let's say they call me a "dirty liberal" and I read it and pull out a 44 and blow my head off, are you saying they should go to jail for that?

Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't think what this woman did had anything to do with free speech, she tricked the girl into thinking she was someone who liked her and then put her down in a horrable way and told her the world would be better off without her, what she did was a crime.
How is that a crime? It isn't! It is a civil matter and if the girls parents wish to sue that betch for all she has, I would gladly award it. I just cannot go along with a crime on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies