Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times

Advertisements

Watch out for the dust, you may turn into an incandescent mantle (thorium in the ground). LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
but I find that it is a very poor decision to actually purchase a home in the same situation connected to other people. You don't own your home, you merely own a space within someone else's building and that brings out all kinds of legal areas where you can end up with the short end of the stick.

Well, talk for yourself.
I, for one, am a very bad handyman (the best thing I can do is paint a room-I did it last year, it took me a week to paint a 20sqft room.
And, also, I don't have the 200 000 $ to buy a decent house.
So I bought an apartment (with private garden, I'm ground floor) in a condo; I know that if there are pike leaks or big restoration work to do in the building, or to have a new elevator, etc I won't be the only one to pay for it, the other owners will share the costs.
Of course I bought in a HCOL area (hence smaller apartment, I don't care) so I'm with middle class honest people and I won't have problems whatsoever.
Many middle class own homes like I am speaking of. In fact, many "poor classes" own homes which I speak of. It isn't a "class" thing to be honest as much as it is what you want I guess.

As you said, you don't want the responsibility of a home. Fair enough, but you give up some liberties in the process. Ive seen some really bad outcomes with purchases like this even going as far as the building owner selling the property to another company and they find loopholes in the contract to which they buy you out (often at a loss on your side) and then evict you from the building. It all depends on the contract of course, but like I said, in the end you really don't own your property as much as you are leasing it for a lifetime. Anyway, too many loopholes in those properties for my tastes and that isn't even getting into essentially living room to room from someone.

Then again, I am the type of guy that will learn what needs to be done if I need to repair something or keep an emergency fund for things like that. I like the responsibility, makes it truly mine.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times
It is a perfect building for Chicago and yes I would love to live in that building. It is on the order of all the crazy buildings in Dubai, that are masterpieces. But the architecture in Chicago is utterly outstanding. I have lived in farmhouses, apartments, townhouses, ranches, duplexes, rented and owned. Every single one has had its charm and drawbacks, so I can certainly see the appeal of this building.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Try this one:

Google Image Result for http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r161907_594320.jpg

Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times

hotel in the water in dubai

Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
It would be an honor to live in a building created by the best Architect ever...Spaniard Santiago Calatrava. Check out his other works, this guy is amazing.
YouTube - Charlie Rose - SANTIAGO CALATRAVA

No, I am not scared of terrorists either. I am also a believer that everything should be built UP, not OUT, and suburbia will die soon.

Last edited by Mach50; 06-22-2008 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 11:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,731 times
150th floor penthouse please. preferably multistory (i'd like the 149th as well) as well of course private elevator.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
I'm not a hive person...I couldn't even live in a townhouse, let alone that thing. It reminds me of those termite colonies in Africa.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
It is a perfect building for Chicago and yes I would love to live in that building. It is on the order of all the crazy buildings in Dubai, that are masterpieces. But the architecture in Chicago is utterly outstanding. I have lived in farmhouses, apartments, townhouses, ranches, duplexes, rented and owned. Every single one has had its charm and drawbacks, so I can certainly see the appeal of this building.
Yes but the difference in Dubai is that they don't have a few hundred Arabs out there thinking of how to knock that building down. We do. And you know they have to be thinking about it.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
For me, I would probably take the risk if the price was right.
In Chicago on the water, the price will definately be right - for Oprah maybe. The promo for the building says that the sales center encompasses the entire eighteenth floor as has 20,000 square feet. And this is the sales center!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies