Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
On the flip-side you won't have cafe's, museums, parks, great restaurants and jobs all within walking distance of your suburban home.
And personally - none of that matters to me. I'm perfectly content to travel to wherever I want to go (restaurants / parks / lakes)

Last edited by Greatday; 06-23-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Paranoid, are ya?

My neighbor's house is no more than 10' from mine, and I love living here. Love all my neighbors so near by too. As for the Spire, you have to remember that the WTC wasn't chosen as a target simply because the buildings were tall, it was a statement to bring down those particular buildings. There are many "supertall" skyscrapers going up around the world, and they aren't all going to be struck by terrorists in planes. The Spire, being residential, would be an unlikely target. Personally I've always wanted to live in a highrise with views, but it seems like at the top of the Spire, your only view might be sky/clouds.
First off, I am not paranoid, but rather a prudent planner. Basically, you can think of me as the guy shaking his head at all the stupid people that took risks when a disaster hit or some other type of tragedy.

It has nothing to do with "terrorist" attacks and everything to do with understanding human nature. People are stupid and there is no getting around it. I would rather plan mine and my families safety around things I have a much greater control over. I don't rely on other people for things I can do myself. I don't measure what I can do myself by how "inconvenient" it may be. For those that do, thats fine and when disaster hits and they are crying about the injustice of a property owner or the fact that another tenant didn't have the proper insurance, I will be sitting at my own home which is fully controlled by my own decisions shaking my head at how naive they were.

So, if people choose to put their "faith" in man to "do them right", then by all means, thats their decision. I will not do the same and my hat goes off to the risk they choose, but at the end of the day the amount of risks due to other people is much larger than that of the home owing I describe. To each their own, that is all we can say.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
On the flip-side you won't have cafe's, museums, parks, great restaurants and jobs all within walking distance of your suburban home.

It is all about personal decision.
Thats all nice, but I can turn that off anytime I like while the person who chooses to live in such a situation does not have the choice. When I want to see the city and all its splendor, I drive about 30 mins and then I am there. When I lay my head down at night, I do not hear the roar of the city, the drunks walking through the halls at night, and the rush of the city streets. I hear a nice quiet chirping of the open fields.

I agree it is all a personal decision, but then to be fair I am not griping about people living out of town in their McMansions and driving their McBurbans. I am not saying you are claiming that, but this is a issue for some and their demands.

Personally, I hope the crusade to encourage people to live in the inner cities is successful as it will only drive down the prices of all the land I will buy and keep people out of the areas I choose to live. So there is an upside to everything. That is.... if they don't try to force people and at that point, the upside is that many of us won't have to worry about political games as it will have come down to bloodshed at that time. So, there is an upside to everything. *chuckle*
-

Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times
I like people so I like to be where people are. I lived in a country home for seven months and thought I would go mad listening to crickets and cows. I lived in a cramped, one bedroom apt on a main street and was in heaven. I am a cement lover. My husband loves the garden and lakes. So we compromised, we live in a townhouse on a lake but we got an end lot so he can have a garden and I can walk to the corner store.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:

It is all about personal decision.
On the contrary, many suburban areas are built with houses and shopping close enough to walk back and forth.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
I personally think it is a lovely building, and if I didn't enjoy gardening my tiny front garden so much, I'd move in in a second (assuming of course I could afford it). That being said, while I very much prefer urban living to any other sort of living (and I've lived in apartments for more years than I have not), I'm more of a two/three flat sort of gal than a high rise sort of gal.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Personally I don't want to live in any high rise building;but that is just me.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Sorry....if I"m 2000' off the ground then I want wings attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies