Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,796,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
lol....true.

those treehuggers so hell bent against EXXON should actually do some reading about how much was really paid out already.

however, if they did, they might end up being embarrassed.
Indeed money was spent, but whose hand did it land in? Investigate further seeking the truth in that answer you'll find a whole other history.
Do I think it's fair that over inflated billing for spill cleanups go on unabated? Hell no! Do I think fair assessments of damage done were offset by unscroupulous lawyers? Yes.

Do I think this current action of courts will have negative or positive impact on the industry as whole? I think negative, because it rewards bad behavior. Responsible companies who spend the money neccessary to run an imaculate operation with good safety/spill records are paying more than those who operate with fast and loose idiocy.

There's a profound difference in company culture between exxon and the others, and that got ignored by supreme court. Listen to scotus commentary and it becomes obvious. They had an agenda and weren't evaluating reality for what it was. Exxon wins, responsible companies and america's better interests loses.

Now judge alito can get back to work @ scotus and enjoy his market share having recused himself from this case, but the corporate theme abounds throughout when each one of the justices has a portfolio on wall street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies