Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times

Advertisements

very interesting this thread appears to be a classic discussion between worker and management class. proliterate vs bourgeois. workers are seen as lazy and with attitude. management did in fact work long and hard to get where they are.
therefore they feel justified in importing (by looking the other way) 23 million illegal mexican people to replace the workers. please note they were telling us we were lazy and had attitude when we picked peaches for 5 cents a bushel in the orchards. no disrespect intended to either party but both have their own interests to defend.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-27-2008 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There should be no limit to the amount one can earn -

If one works hard, and has the ability to earn more - more power to them.

250,000 is not, repeat NOT rich -
I agree there should be limit on what someone earns.

Let me ask a different question;

Should there be no limit or oversight to how someone earns that money?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I agree there should be limit on what someone earns.

Let me ask a different question;

Should there be no limit or oversight to how someone earns that money?
What are you going to oversee? Give an example of where you think there needs to be a limit or oversight on "how" someone earns that money.

As for how much, there is an old saying "Its none of your business".

Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Why is it, people who work hard, buy a home, put money away, live a good life are then expected to pick up the tab for other people? We earned what we have.

So many seem to think we owe it to the people who earn less to pay more taxes. We don't! Everyone needs to be taxed equally. How would you feel if we cut into your life and you had to pay 20.00 for a gallon of gas all of a sudden? How would that cut into your life? Here you were working hard and you suddenly had to pay 20.00 for a gallong of gas and it intruded on your day to day life?

Well that is how this raise in taxes is? Unjust to those who have earned it!
Because the majority of the "rich", however you define that - get there by luck of birth and stepping on/using those less fortunate. Allowing the rich to continue getting richer directly pulls wealth from the middle and lower classes. If you wonder what such a society looks like, just go to Mexico - a rich, white minority controlling the poverty-stricken masses. I really think we can do better than that.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 PM

812 posts, read 2,308,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because the majority of the "rich", however you define that - get there by luck of birth and stepping on/using those less fortunate. Allowing the rich to continue getting richer directly pulls wealth from the middle and lower classes. If you wonder what such a society looks like, just go to Mexico - a rich, white minority controlling the poverty-stricken masses. I really think we can do better than that.

I don't know what planet you live on but to think the majority of rich have gotten there by luck of birth is just not true. If rich people get richer it is because of good financial management and good financial judgement and you can't blame people for having abilities that some do not and make accusations of stepping/using the less fortunate. People work hard for what they have. If you think having money is enough to keep money you are mistaken, you need to know what to do w/ it to make it grow and continue to to get rich.

You sound so bitter.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times
I suppose it has never occurred to some of you that the "rich" are"rich" because they work hard, are self driven, focused and have strong work ethics. It all boils down to luck, birthright, or abusing the downtrodden?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
I don't know what planet you live on but to think the majority of rich have gotten there by luck of birth is just not true. If rich people get richer it is because of good financial management and good financial judgement and you can't blame people for having abilities that some do not and make accusations of stepping/using the less fortunate. People work hard for what they have. If you think having money is enough to keep money you are mistaken, you need to know what to do w/ it to make it grow and continue to to get rich.

You sound so bitter.
I'm not bitter, nor poor. Our household income is 6 figures, well above average. But I can see how the rich take advantage of people to get what they have. I'm in middle management and see "how hard" upper management works. Some work hard, many don't.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I suppose it has never occurred to some of you that the "rich" are"rich" because they work hard, are self driven, focused and have strong work ethics. It all boils down to luck, birthright, or abusing the downtrodden?

HA! ROTFLMAO! Strong work ethics -

Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm not bitter, nor poor. Our household income is 6 figures, well above average. But I can see how the rich take advantage of people to get what they have. I'm in middle management and see "how hard" upper management works. Some work hard, many don't.
I wonder how your tune will change should you make it to upper management...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
I find this article very apropo:

Gates leaves Microsoft

It is almost unthinkable that any one human could pick up where Bill Gates leaves off when he ends his full-time tenure today as Microsoft's leader.

But as Gates bones up on epidemiology at his charitable foundation, the software company he built with a mix of visionary manifestos and extreme hands-on management must still wake up Monday to face hard problems even he could not solve.

Gates leaves Microsoft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies