Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,739,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That's your opinion but I can assure you that you are in the minority. Americans want universal health care; look at the polls. It is overdue & will be the health system during Obama's presidency.

Get ready for an improvement in your & all Americans well-being.
It's not what most people want and I can assure you it will not happen.
There's no good that would come from an insane idea like this. Ever heard of social security? Why would anyone who is sane want the govt. involved in healthcare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,263,164 times
Still haven't heard any of the fors explain how the Gov that finds it so easy to screw up even the most basic of things will manage a health care system. A good test bed of course would be the VA system which anyone who has ever endured it can testfy its less than acceptable.
Who will manage this huge program?
What will treatment crieria be? Will it be based on eugenics?
It amazes me the same folks who believe in gov cover ups etc are for allowing that same gov to manage our healthcare...
We are talking about a gov who thought it ok to waste millions on bridge to no where.
So will solicit the help from major insurance carriers given their experience?
I don't know I have yet to hear or see an actual step by step plan.
I do know this the feds ability to manage any large system is in doubt.
Last but not least I don't want to pay more taxes. Those who are too poor to afford insurance are already covered. Some have chosen not to buy insurance and now they want the rest of us to do it for them.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,630,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Still haven't heard any of the fors explain how the Gov that finds it so easy to screw up even the most basic of things will manage a health care system. A good test bed of course would be the VA system which anyone who has ever endured it can testfy its less than acceptable.
Who will manage this huge program?
What will treatment crieria be? Will it be based on eugenics?
It amazes me the same folks who believe in gov cover ups etc are for allowing that same gov to manage our healthcare...
We are talking about a gov who thought it ok to waste millions on bridge to no where.
So will solicit the help from major insurance carriers given their experience?
I don't know I have yet to hear or see an actual step by step plan.
I do know this the feds ability to manage any large system is in doubt.
Last but not least I don't want to pay more taxes. Those who are too poor to afford insurance are already covered. Some have chosen not to buy insurance and now they want the rest of us to do it for them.
Nothing but obstacles! There are hospitals, there are doctors/nurses. Instead of an HMO deciding things & making $ by telling you that they won't pay for your major surgery, the government will pay the bill & eliminate the HMO. Instead of dozens of health care insurance companies there will be the U.S. government who doesn't need to make a profit off of patients.

We pay taxes for an absolutely criminal war when that money would not only take care of every man\ woman\ & child medical needs but also build highways\ schools\ invest in medical research\ etc.

I'm so glad the bulk of radical Republican posters on this web site don't represent anything close to the majority of Americans. Social medicine is already practiced in one or two states & being planned in many more. The federal government will eventually fund all health needs of its citizens like every other free democracy in the world.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 AM

980 posts, read 1,150,259 times
Can't afford it; we are literally going bankrupt on Medicare as it is.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,326,104 times
Quote:
Nothing but obstacles! There are hospitals, there are doctors/nurses. Instead of an HMO deciding things & making $ by telling you that they won't pay for your major surgery, the government will pay the bill & eliminate the HMO. Instead of dozens of health care insurance companies there will be the U.S. government who doesn't need to make a profit off of patients.
You touched on an issue that may, if nothing else, doom a NHC system:

You indicated a government take over of hospitals and insurance companies. I hope you realize that, according to our laws - those hospitals and insurance companies will have to be compensated - as in paid -if they are to be taken over.

Are you aware of how many hospitals, and how many insurance companies there are?

The litigation alone will take, conservately, 20 / 25 years -

Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,739,621 times
Quote:

We pay taxes for an absolutely criminal war when that money would not only take care of every man\ woman\ & child medical needs but also build highways\ schools\ invest in medical research\ etc.

I'm so glad the bulk of radical Republican posters on this web site don't represent anything close to the majority of Americans. Social medicine is already practiced in one or two states & being planned in many more. The federal government will eventually fund all health needs of its citizens like every other free democracy in the world.
We're a Constitutional Republic.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,326,104 times
I would support a Constitutional Amendment regarding the issue of National Health Insurance - put it before the people -

Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,263,164 times
[quote=happ;4435740]Nothing but obstacles! There are hospitals, there are doctors/nurses. Instead of an HMO deciding things & making $ by telling you that they won't pay for your major surgery, the government will pay the bill & eliminate the HMO. Instead of dozens of health care insurance companies there will be the U.S. government who doesn't need to make a profit off of patients.

I'm so glad the bulk of radical Republican posters on this web site don't represent anything close to the majority of Americans. Social medicine is already practiced in one or two states & being planned in many more. The federal government will eventually fund all health needs of its citizens like every other free democracy in the world.[/quote
What exactly does the war in Iraq have to do with the topic??
I ask again how can we expect the Fed Gov to manage a nation wide health care system when it has failed at managing even the VA system to a standard even remotely close to what we have come to expect from private hospitals. Please I have used both so I do know the difference.
Now to the cost.
The fed gov is successful at finding both the most expensive and least efficient methods and approaches to any given task.
Sorry your points are a no sale because historical proof dictates how poorly the fed manages anything.
The majority of Americans May want big brother to shoulder the burden and thus relieve them of paying for health insurance. These same individuals don't want their taxes to increase. You can't have one without the other. OH wait we can tax big business.... But then they will raise their prices to recover the new cost of the higher taxes.
Then of course we have the lawsuits which will most definetly follow. Now because its the gov managing the system it is the gov that will be sued. Unlike most countries with a NHC system our society is sue happy. I am all for bans on frivolous lawsuits. Long over due. That won't happen though. Its no accident that in any yellow pages section of a phone book ambulance chasers take up the most pages.
Its my money and I want it now!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,198,745 times
Repeating what I noted previously: Eliminate insurance companies from the equation (except for catastrophic health insurance) and pay your doctor as you go. I'd wager that then the *average* pp annual health care costs would be lower than that person's current health insurance premiums. Also reduce or cap medical mal-practice awards, thereby reducing a doctor's/hospital's mal-practice insurance premiums, thereby reducing the amount he/she/it has to charge patients.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:22 PM

59 posts, read 89,978 times
I am absolutely against universal health care. The current system definitely has problems but I just can't understand why anyone would possibly think a government program is the solution. Social security, medicare, FEMA, just to name a few are all terrible. Why do you think a health care program would be any different? Although expensive, the US has the highest quality health care in the world. For instance, no one has a higher cancer survival rate than we have in the US. In contrast, the UK has the lowest survival rate in the EU. The lower payments to doctors from a government run program would mean fewer doctors and an overall decline in the quality of care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies