Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely against a gov sponsered health care system. One need only look at other Gov ran programs to understand how broken it will become.
Every politician in office will need to get their piece of the pie.
Every friend of of every politician will need a piece of the pie.
Gov programs that illustrate how it will be managaed.
The VA hospital...
Social security
Medicare and medicaid
NASA
Any gov run procurment system. Its not the military that causes cost over runs in weapons developement its politicians.
Look at the pork projects and ear mark projects. The Gov has one talent that stands out above all others. The talent to waste expotentially and move in-efficiently. Do we really want gov bean counters deciding what procedure is really needed?
Who decides what is fair to pay? Based on our incomes? Based on our assets? Based on our health?
Sorry nailing someone who is successful is punishing success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann08 View Post
I completely agree with the feeling of suffocation from big government. Small price to pay I think. People know there that they will have assistance well into their old age, and that is a fantastic, LIBERATING feeling.
To me it is not a SMALL PRICE - it is a VERY big price.

And, as one going into old age - having that much government involvement in my life would be FAR, FAR from "fantastic" or "liberating" - quite the opposite in fact -

Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Given the choice of who you want in charge, would you pick corporations? or a fair shake for everyone?
I don't trust the government to take "care" of things -

Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
I think most people who are opposed to universal health care pretty much like the current state of medical care as it is. So iff one can't pay his medical bills just declare bankruptcy to cover it and be done with it. And if the insurance companies balk at paying the increasing medical costs for people who can afford insurance, then the insurance companies will simply fly them to India or Thailand for major surgery that will only cost about a third as much as in the USA.

And surely opponents of UHC admire what Wal-Mart is doing to lower the cost of medical care by opening clinics staffed by nurses who are authorized to write prescriptions while charging only half as much for a visit as a doctor's office would.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
It just might be a better system if the insurance companies would keep their noses out once in a while.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
strongly for it. it will compel illegals to pay a fair share will come out of their check. more important in california they will no longer be able to use ER for non ER purposes they must go to primary and they will have a primary.
there will be cost savings. also all the old guys like me will retire early.
giant sucking sound, horray. most of us are working for medical & no other reason, we are outa here. free at last.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
strongly for it. it will compell illegals to pay a fair share will come out of their check. more important in california they will no longer be able to use ER for non ER purposes they must go to primary and they will have a primary.
there will be cost savings. also all the old guys like me will retire early.
giant sucking sound, horray. most of us are working for medical.
Many illegals get paid "under the table" -

Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 PM

111 posts, read 332,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
The point is that you benefit from them whether you use them or not. You still get to drive on roads, experience less crime, and not get blown up, even if you don't want to pay for it, so you're forced to pay for it through taxes. By not using the universal healthcare system, you don't benefit from it, even though you'd have to pay for it.
So you and everyone you care about will stay healthy for their entire life? Kudos to you if you can pull that off.

Last edited by geogirl; 07-11-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 PM

111 posts, read 332,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Wow, you really don't know much about those countries' healthcare systems either. For starters, the original question pertained to "free healthcare." Unless doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals are enslaved and medicines and equipment and real estate are stolen to provide for the people, there is no such thing as "free healthcare." Those countres have very expensive healthcare, just like the U.S. The only real difference is that those who prefer to sit around at home instead of working -- go to France or Germany and you'll find plenty such able-bodied people -- get a free ride when it comes to healthcare. The rest of the population pays for it through very high taxes. And I know for a fact that in Germany, one contributes a very high amount of money from each paycheck toward health insurance. The government matches.
Salaries for US doctors are FAR higher than their European counterparts. Doctors in England are given BONUSES for having healthy patients. They make a good salary, but not in the millions like US doctors. Look at our pharmaceutical industry. Disgusting. My father went in the hospital for a broken leg, and they successfully killed him in less than 3 months, so please don't tell me how great our healthcare is in this country.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogirl View Post
Salaries for US doctors are FAR higher than their European counterparts. Doctors in England are given BONUSES for having healthy patients. They make a good salary, but not in the millions like US doctors.
Most doctors in the US do not earn "millions" - far from it -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies