Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,844 times

Advertisements

I know these days, whenever young people or teens do something bad, parents and the media blame the video games for their problems. I mean, why do video games have to be blamed fro all the violence for the younger generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I know these days, whenever young people or teens do something bad, parents and the media blame the video games for their problems. I mean, why do video games have to be blamed fro all the violence for the younger generation?
Because everyone wants to blame something instead of themselves.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Because everyone wants to blame something instead of themselves.
Yeah, blame the parents on why things all so messed up for young people.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
Even if it was true.. and I dont believe is true...
Then the parents are responsible.. since they got the game for the kid....

Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Even if it was true.. and I dont believe is true...
Then the parents are responsible.. since they got the game for the kid....
Parents treat video games like its a drug and poison. I don't understand these parents sometimes.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:

Probably because it is a significant and real problem:

Myths and Facts
Myth 1. Violent video game research has yielded very mixed results.
Facts: Some studies have yielded nonsignificant video game effects, just as some smoking studies failed to find a significant link to lung cancer. But when one combines all relevant empirical studies using meta-analytic techniques, five separate effects emerge with considerable consistency. Violent video games are significantly associated with: increased aggressive behavior, thoughts, and affect; increased physiological arousal; and decreased prosocial (helping) behavior. Average effect sizes for experimental studies (which help establish causality) and correlational studies (which allow examination of serious violent behavior) appear comparable.

Myth 9. The effects of violent video games are trivially small.
Facts: Meta-analyses reveal that violent video game effect sizes are larger than the effect of second hand tobacco smoke on lung cancer, the effect of lead exposure to I.Q. scores in children, and calcium intake on bone mass. Furthermore, the fact that so many youths are exposed to such high levels of video game violence further increases the societal costs of this risk factor.

Violent Video Games: Myths, Facts, and Unanswered Questions

Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,495,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Probably because it is a significant and real problem:

Myths and Facts
Myth 1. Violent video game research has yielded very mixed results.
Facts: Some studies have yielded nonsignificant video game effects, just as some smoking studies failed to find a significant link to lung cancer. But when one combines all relevant empirical studies using meta-analytic techniques, five separate effects emerge with considerable consistency. Violent video games are significantly associated with: increased aggressive behavior, thoughts, and affect; increased physiological arousal; and decreased prosocial (helping) behavior. Average effect sizes for experimental studies (which help establish causality) and correlational studies (which allow examination of serious violent behavior) appear comparable.

Myth 9. The effects of violent video games are trivially small.
Facts: Meta-analyses reveal that violent video game effect sizes are larger than the effect of second hand tobacco smoke on lung cancer, the effect of lead exposure to I.Q. scores in children, and calcium intake on bone mass. Furthermore, the fact that so many youths are exposed to such high levels of video game violence further increases the societal costs of this risk factor.

Violent Video Games: Myths, Facts, and Unanswered Questions
It is to early to know this..
Just like in the 80's with smoking,, but not know.. no research today will say that smoking is free of cancer...
And second... how can you copy/paste or believe that video games are worst then second hand smoke

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
It is to early to know this..
Just like in the 80's with smoking,, but not know.. no research today will say that smoking is free of cancer...
And second... how can you copy/paste or believe that video games are worst then second hand smoke
I don't understand the question, they knew smoking a cancer were related all the way back to the mid-1950's.

Video games have been prevalent for about 25 years now, so sufficient data is available to analyze their impact on violent behaviors.

Regarding second hand smoke, many folks aren't convinced that the impact is fatal, as opposed to just creating some non-fatal medical problems.

The link provided was from the American Psycological Association web site.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
No, each individual can be blamed for all of the violence they commit. You might be able to blame the parents to a degree, but in the end, it is the individual that pulls the trigger.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,695 times
It all up to person and how they are raised not some video game. I am young 23 year, who used plan quite few violent games and watch violent shows. However, I consider my quite a non-violence person. I haven't ever gotten into fist fight or anything like that. Probably, because how I was raised.

Again, violence will turn up in some people even without video games. Might have something to do with society in general these days, maybe?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies