Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

when I was a little kid my best friend was black,we were friends because we lived on the same street,liked playing soldier,racing hotwheels,playing football in the front yard,swimming and so on.I knew he was black,but as a kid it really didn't register even past that he wa "black" until I heard grownups point out so called differences.

Best drummer I have ever played in a band with is black,Greg played Rush songs as good as Peart himself.I knew he was black since I have eyesight though didn't matter,it is his good natured honest friendship to me is all that mattered.He was a friend you could always count on.I wish I could get in contact with him again.Unfortunately we sometimes loose contact with people.

I have had a couple close friens,and some come and go friends that were black(and latin/hispanic friends) and in every case it was their personality and the fact of common interests whether as a kid,music or target shooting that decided friendship.

So people with common interests are more likely to bond IMO rather than based on race alone.

But are there times I stereotype?Yes there is,like Rap based music and the associated image it produces.Could someone who dresses like a gangsta be a college pencil pusher?Yes but image portrayed leads people to stereotype sometimes right or wrong.

The fact is if I were in a ghetto section of town getting gas I would be leary of any people hanging around the gas station while if I were in a upscale section getting gas seeing a black guy I wouldn't even really pay attention but to me that is based more on situational awareness and common sense rather than being prejudice.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The fact is if I were in a ghetto section of town getting gas I would be leary of any people hanging around the gas station while if I were in a upscale section getting gas seeing a black guy I wouldn't even really pay attention but to me that is based more on situational awareness and common sense than being prejudice.
We all do that. I do that and I'm black, so it's not prejudice. Now if when you walked past the group of guys at the gas station and held your hands up and said"hey it's cool. I have a black friend" then it's something different.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
And why would that be?

Should I invite him to spend the night? maybe go on vacation with me? He's a friend, we are not Gay.
The point I'm trying to make is that with most close friends...you do in fact do that. I have quite a few friends where either you've had a drink too many or it's just late...and you do not feel like driving home. They wholeheartedly ask you to stay. I don't mean that you sleep in the same bed! As far as the vacation thing...yes; most of the time, you go with your family. But many times, you also invite that "a close friend" as well. We just returned from vacation and my 13 year-old sister brought her friend along with us. That's the type of "friendship" I am trying to show an example of -- not the kind where you went to school together or the two of you go to have lunch together during work breaks.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm not changing what I said, I'm explaining what I meant because obviously you didn't understand it. I said and I meant when people make asinine statements about black people...
You're going in circles. What is the defining characteristic of an "asinine" comment about blacks and how are such comments different than saying "The Incas supported human sacrifice?"

It's a simple question.

Quote:
I don't know what I'm talking about...I didn't know I was stating any facts. I provided my opinion, which is based on what I believe....are you saying I don't know what I believe?
Opinions are qualified with "My opinion is...," etc. I doubt you really know what you believe, but that's irrelevant... More importantly, you asserted opinion as fact and are shocked that you were misunderstood.

Quote:
I never said that you did say it.
Ooooh K. I guess we'll all smirk and pretend like a bunch of retards this wasn't directed at me.
Quote:
...when someone calls them on, as I do frequently because none of the black people I know fit into this neat little boxes that people on CD like to create they go for the "well I know what I'm talking about because I'm married to a black woman and she and the people I know are a accurate representative of black people all across the world.
huhuhuhuh. If you can't get me on ideas, I guess you have to squirm with something...

Quote:
What are you talking about? Are you even reading my post coherently? I'm not talking about the people who say "the blacks I've encountered generally..."
But...

Quote:
Anytime someone on this forum makes an asinine statement about what most black people do they quickly rephrase it to say "the black people I know."
Isn't referring to "most" black people a statement about black people "in general?"... to use your example:

Quote:
Generally, girls start their menstrual cycles in middle school.
Sounds awful similar to "Most girls start their..."

You lose.

Quote:
Any comment that refer to a group of people doing something based on their race is going to be asinine. All Spanish people have really long names.
Then the statement "The Incas supported human sacrifice" is asinine because it's a universal statement about a people?

Quote:
Really? You've never heard that before? Was this not your statement? That a poster on another thread made a reference to having a black friend? Isn't that why you started this thread in the first place?
They made a statement about a black friend as a defense from being called a racist. That's all any statement in this thread has implied... Nothing to do with a race-wide generalization based on association with one person.

Quote:
I really could careless if you think I'm racist.
I could care less if the moon is made of cheese. (An equally relevant statement.)

Quote:
I'm gone say what I wanna say regardless.
Please do... but makes sense next time. For now, that's your butt in your lap... it's just been handed to you.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Double Post

Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 PM

And I ask a simple question to post like this and not one person responds.....yet I'm racist for saying my best friend was black girl. I was assumed to only know one black person because of that statement. I guess it's "Do as I say not as I do."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
I agree. Self-loathing is a big problem for black men, but they don't see it that way. They either get heavily involved in crime or they become those do-nothings. Some of that have that "well I ain't gone never be nothing anyway so why try" attitude. It's such a waste.

Why are these not considered broad generalizations?

Or racist type remarks?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
You're going in circles. What is the defining characteristic of an "asinine" comment about blacks and how are such comments different than saying "The Incas supported human sacrifice?"

It's a simple question.

Exactly what is your problem? Okay I'll rephrase "I think it is asinine when people try to use the fact that they know a black person as a source for a comment they made regarding black people

Opinions are qualified with "My opinion is...," etc. I doubt you really know what you believe, but that's irrelevant... More importantly, you asserted opinion as fact and are shocked that you were misunderstood.

I didn't know that every opinion needed to start with the words "my opinion is" so I guess you were offering your opinion when you made that comment about black people on the other thread? So then why was there no denying it, if it was your opinion.

Ooooh K. I guess we'll all smirk and pretend like a bunch of retards this wasn't directed at me.

Yeah, if you want to call yourself a retard I won't disagree. I said that you made this comment
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
However, there's no denying that blacks have risen up scum like Sean Colmes (sp?) while berating the likes of Rice, Powell, Thomas, Cosby and, as far as I can tell, any black leader who doesn't feed into black helplessness and self-destruction.

The rest of my post was discussing the topic, but if you want to take it personally, feel free.

Isn't referring to "most" black people a statement about black people "in general?"... to use your example:

Sounds awful similar to "Most girls start their..."

You lose.

How do you know most girls start their periods in middle school? Most implies a majority. The opposite of most, is few. Most and generally are not interchangeable. Generally means in some cases, also known as sometimes. It does not mean most. But hey what do I know? I'm just citing what those idiots who came up with that whole AP thing. I'm sure you're right. Generally and most mean the exact same thing

Then the statement "The Incas supported human sacrifice" is asinine because it's a universal statement about a people?

Well did the Incas support human sacrifice? Was this part of their beliefs and ritual systems? Was there evidence that some of the Incas did not support human sacrifice? Is their supporting human sacrifice being used in a way to demean the Incas or make them seem inferior to others?

They made a statement about a black friend as a defense from being called a racist. That's all any statement in this thread has implied... Nothing to do with a race-wide generalization based on association with one person.
They made a statement about having a black friend as a defense from being called a racist...okay great. My point is what does having one or one hundred black friends mean? That now you're an expert on the subject on black people? The conversation was about rap music and in explaining his knowledge of rap music he says
Quote:
Believe it or not my best friend all through middle school, high school and college up until only about a year ago was a black girl.
What does him having a black friend have to do with him listening to rap music?

I could care less if the moon is made of cheese. (An equally relevant statement.)

Please do... but makes sense next time. For now, that's your butt in your lap... it's just been handed to you.
Okay if you say so.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And I ask a simple question to post like this and not one person responds.....yet I'm racist for saying my best friend was black girl. I was assumed to only know one black person because of that statement. I guess it's "Do as I say not as I do."
Actually I didn't respond because before you edited your post, you hadn't quoted anybody and since you post was on a new page, I didn't know which comments you were talking about.

But I'm sure I didn't respond to your post because I'm racist.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Look at your friends questions before that....

Your looking at one post. You have now taken it completely out of context.

Then you make not even a small generalization.....you labeled all black men *see above quote*

Again your assuming I only have one black friend. All I said was my best friend...you can spin it how you want.

Then when you started trying to nit pick if I even knew what I was talking about questioning me about song from 15+ years ago I'm suppose to start telling you which song they were rapping in....An obvious attempt at a fight...at that point wouldn't it been prudent to realize at that point I wasn't guessing out of the blue since that was what was in question. "Probably can't even name 5 rappers" I did so...and named more things about me to put myself in context....

SHE obviously would have construed whatever I said as being racist...the same went to you. After everyone else stopped responding to her then she started attacking you....tag your it.

Do as I say not as I do....Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies