Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
not united is viewed as weak. A president that is too afraid of backlash will be viewed as weak, therefore not a real threat to retaliate.

I dont see that we really gave them a reason to attack us on 9/11. They wont stop until they get things their way, which isnt going to happen.
I agree, not being united is looked upon as weakness. And our country is not united, it's as divided as it can get right now.... fighting among ourselves.
Our politicians act like a bunch of kids fighting over candy, our country can't survive like it is some changes have to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Does anyone think another 9/11 will happen again? or do you think they high fived each other and were happy to stop right there?
I think the next one will be more brutal than 9/11, because of Iraq every terrorist in the world will want a piece of us. They hate us more than ever.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
Bush finally got neutered over the "Surge" thingy...and his liberal "tax those with employer based insurance for illegal immigrant free insurance" idea will take him down another notch after Tuesday's speech. It took 7 years...but even hardcore Republicans are starting to dislike the sneaky snake...

Relax...Iran...nada gonna happen IMHO. Look, even if Bush still had backing from Congress, we don't even have enough troops to support the Iraq "surge" even after sending in the same troops 3 years in a row. If you think a draft is coming anytime soon...well there is a comet that leads to heaven after you drink the purple stuff..
check out the other ships that's on the way there now, it just may happen.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/us-warns-iran-to-back-down/20070123111009990005 (broken link)

Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
It's no surprise that Iran is trying to pick a fight with us. They know the country is divided, they know we are running up one helluva credit card bill and they know that our forces are spread thin (Great poker face we got ). What do they have to lose? That country is a mess. The only positive point I can think of right now, is at least we don't have to worry about Bush being in office for another 4 years. I hope to God, Allah, Peter Pan, or whoever you pray to that the country has learned it's lesson about putting anyone with the last name "Bush" in office. I saw this !$#!$# coming before he served his first term, but down here in Texas, I was the minority. What really frustrates me is the fact that no matter how much damage Bush has and is doing, his mindless minions are still going to blame it on Congress or Clinton's previous policies. grrrrrrr.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Eh, I'll agree that Bush has made his share of mistakes, but don't discount the negative effect the Clinton's had on America's image overseas. The bombing of an aspirin factory and the whole "Wag the Dog" scenario (Operation Desert Fox) were fiascoes from a political standpoint.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM

753 posts, read 758,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Eh, I'll agree that Bush has made his share of mistakes, but don't discount the negative effect the Clinton's had on America's image overseas. The bombing of an aspirin factory and the whole "Wag the Dog" scenario (Operation Desert Fox) were fiascoes from a political standpoint.
This is the right kind of thinking. No event occurs in isolation, and 9-11 as well as what came after that are the fruit of actions taken many years ago.

Clinton contributed, mainly by inaction but also partially by adventure.

But if you really want to dig into what put Al Qaeda in business you need to look at Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion. We funded, trained and motivated the Mujahedeen to fight the Soviets.

The United States, in its meddling wisdom, created the Taliban. They, in turn, created an environment where Al Qaeda could operate with impunity.

Ask yourself, in hindsight, was it a good thing that we helped these scum understand how they could take on a Superpower and win?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Have you read the 9/11 commission reports or remember anything from that era? Clinton was focused on terrorism but it was the republicans in the house who focused on interns and stained dresses, and the weak media followed. However under clinton we had a much better image overseas. We didnt have the "bully" image.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:20 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I think the next one will be more brutal than 9/11, because of Iraq every terrorist in the world will want a piece of us. They hate us more than ever.
We were not in Iraq the first and second time the world trade centers got attacked....the cole, our american embassys etc....

Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Have you read the 9/11 commission reports or remember anything from that era? Clinton was focused on terrorism but it was the republicans in the house who focused on interns and stained dresses, and the weak media followed. However under clinton we had a much better image overseas. We didnt have the "bully" image.
I have not read the 9/11 report in its entirety, but I remember the era well. Durring Operation Desert Fox, I was "Haze gray and underway" in the NAG, if you saw footage of ships launching tomahawks, you saw us.

As fary as the "bully" image, I'll offer these as counter claims.

Embassy bombing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/155887.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/155551.stm
http://www.cnn.com/US/9808/21/air.strikes.02/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9808/21/strikes.world.reax.02/index.html (broken link)

Operation Desert Fox

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/monitoring/238616.stm
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9812/17/world.reax.iraq.02/index.html (broken link)
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9812/17/world.reax.iraq.02/index.html (broken link)

Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
We were not in Iraq the first and second time the world trade centers got attacked....the cole, our american embassys etc....

That's true we weren't in Iraq during those attacks. But since we've been in Iraq it's created more terrorist than ever before, and they hate us more than ever. Bush has made us a lot of enemies with his Rambo tactics, his my way or no way attitude don't always work out very good....the man is hard headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies