Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times

Advertisements

Wow, did you have an attorney? How was your wife able to get all of the marital asset, as opposed to 50%?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Welcome to America.

My wife of 20 years ran off with a wealthy contractor. I thought we had a fairly healthy marriage. She got 100% of my 401K ($235,000), 100% of the profits from the sale of our house (about $49,000), and the new paid off car. I got the 21 year old car, her attorney bill, all our family debt ($13,000), the right to pay her alimony and now I have no retirement.

And I've seen other men get stuck a lot worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
A loss of responsibility gives a feeling of entitlement. Women wouldn't be so easily distracted if there were consequences to their actions....and to think it wasn't all that long ago women were thought to be the ones with high morals and men were dogs...apparently it goes both ways now.
Good point.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Wow! How crazy. Doesn't make sense at all. It takes two to make a marriage work and one should not be punished unless it is the case of cheating. Then whoever cheats should lose their shirt. Period.

Blazer, sorry to hear about your sucky deal. I can't believe she was given all that and she cheated. I thought cheating pretty much means you don't get squat or from what I understand here it does (I think but have no direct knowledge so I could be wrong).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
I think it's pretty much 50/50 without a pre nup in NC....no matter what the circumstances.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
only WASP's. you know, the type that built this country, fought for it's independence, and brought more prosperity to this world than any other nation on earth.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
only WASP's. you know, the type that built this country, fought for it's independence, and brought more prosperity to this world than any other nation on earth.
WASP's??? Sorry I don't know that one.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Wow! How crazy. Doesn't make sense at all. It takes two to make a marriage work and one should not be punished unless it is the case of cheating. Then whoever cheats should lose their shirt. Period.

Blazer, sorry to hear about your sucky deal. I can't believe she was given all that and she cheated. I thought cheating pretty much means you don't get squat or from what I understand here it does (I think but have no direct knowledge so I could be wrong).
I think it was a myth that if you cheated, you lose everything.. that was never really true.. even in cases where you have a Prenup where it stipulates if you cheat, you get nothing... you CAN still get half the assets (that is, IF you are female)... makes Prenups "almost" invalid... it seems the society "endorses" cheating as something that is okay and non-punishable... But it seems if a man cheats, he loses everything... if a woman cheats, then the man loses half his assets... I don't understand how this line of thinking is okay in the court system... A Prenup does NOT protect you unless your wife HAS an attorney and is VIDEO taped signing it and is okay with it AND it must be signed at least 6 months to 1 year BEFORE the marriage... weird isn't it? That a contract isn't a contract until you spend X amount of dollars, have an attorney, have video taped proof, and do it a year or so ahead of time... but this only applies to females, if you are a male, all you need is a signed prenup and its okay, the woman is fully protected.... Its like the American system "hates" men...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am not referring to "bad men"... If you read my thread carefully, I am talking about situations that put men at fault when he is clearly, NOT at fault... It seems you are talking about "bad men" in your post and the court system WILL favor the ex-wife and that is PERFECTLY fine... I am talking instances where the opposite is reversed and guess what? Men are at fault... You are damned if you are wrong, and you are damned if you are right as long as you are a male... I don't that's fair... Do it wrong you are punished (that's fine)... do it RIGHT and you are punished (that's the thread)... it seems men are punished for simply being a "man"...
Um no. Perhaps YOU need to re-read MY post.

I was talking about the foolishness on both "sides" to paint all men as one way, or all women as another. There are always anecdotes to be tossed out on either side of the issue. My point is, there are women who do it right and still lose big time. It's not just a men's issue, and neither sex is superior.

The title of the thread, "Does America HATE men", assuming that women don't get the raw deal ever, is what I'm trying to point out to you. Both sides can be unfairly punished by the "system".

The point is, resorting to stereotypes about what "usually" happens gets us nowhere. I could point out a friend of mine whose husband cheated, after 13 years of marriage and didn't "lose everything" or even close to it. He did very well in the divorce, financially and otherwise, even though there was a "fight". You'll come along and talk about a woman who cheated and "got it all". And? Where does this get us? That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Um no. Perhaps YOU need to re-read MY post.

I was talking about the foolishness on both "sides" to paint all men as one way, or all women as another. There are always anecdotes to be tossed out on either side of the issue. My point is, there are women who do it right and still lose big time. It's not just a men's issue, and neither sex is superior.

The title of the thread, "Does America HATE men", assuming that women don't get the raw deal ever, is what I'm trying to point out to you. Both sides can be unfairly punished by the "system".

The point is, resorting to stereotypes about what "usually" happens gets us nowhere. I could point out a friend of mine whose husband cheated, after 13 years of marriage and didn't "lose everything" or even close to it. He did very well in the divorce, financially and otherwise, even though there was a "fight". You'll come along and talk about a woman who cheated and "got it all". And? Where does this get us? That's all I'm saying.
The woman has to literally be a crack addict with "spears" like behavior to lose anything.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
It happens in NY all the time.

I know men receiving alimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies