Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:18 AM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times

Advertisements

so many posts here and elsewhere about how gun registration will solve so many crimes and stop so much more has convinced me to do this. if we do this they will get back all the illegal ones from the criminals. OK im ready.... but you have to do one thing for me in return. a constitutional amendment that states that every american citizen has a right to keep and own any and all guns they want. as long as they are not convicted of a violent crime, (murder,rape,armed robbery,etc)that no state, county, or local regs can stop me from owning, carrying and using a gun for the rest of my life. It cannot be revoked nor confiscated do to marshal law, prez exec order, and no international law wrote by the United Nations can overrule it.any gun any type, .17-50cal, single shot to full auto. OK folks, there it is, putup or SHUTUP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Its the same people who trash anything that might sort of vaguely threaten free speech who somehow support any and all gun control measures. Somehow the constitution is always used as a shield of defense for free speech by these people, but on the subject of gun control they toss the constitutional arguments aside and keep pointing to statistics.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
so many posts here and elsewhere about how gun registration will solve so many crimes and stop so much more has convinced me to do this. if we do this they will get back all the illegal ones from the criminals. OK im ready.... but you have to do one thing for me in return. a constitutional amendment that states that every american citizen has a right to keep and own any and all guns they want. as long as they are not convicted of a violent crime, (murder,rape,armed robbery,etc)that no state, county, or local regs can stop me from owning, carrying and using a gun for the rest of my life. It cannot be revoked nor confiscated do to marshal law, prez exec order, and no international law wrote by the United Nations can overrule it.any gun any type, .17-50cal, single shot to full auto. OK folks, there it is, putup or SHUTUP!
Sure. Makes perfect sense. In fact why stop at guns? How about explosives? You like the idea of Goober living next door to you & your kids storing 12 tons of Nitro in his geerage?

No, seriously, this is hilarious!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Its the same people who trash anything that might sort of vaguely threaten free speech who somehow support any and all gun control measures. Somehow the constitution is always used as a shield of defense for free speech by these people, but on the subject of gun control they toss the constitutional arguments aside and keep pointing to statistics.
Registering your guns is unconstitutional? You feel the same way about voter registration too? Careful how you answer, those millions of undocumenteds are ready to rally around you.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
This "criminals don't register guns" argument is a load of hogwash. Registration or "permits" does not imply that you are not going to be a criminal with your firearm, nor does it imply that your gun is going to be taken from you. It symbolizes your comliance with the standards society wishes to place on it's legal gun owners. Should you break the trust the license goes bye-bye.

If you are a criminal with a gun and are busted, is it not true that you also get charged with illegal posession? Is that not punished more severely? You think that these people never get busted? When my DH went in front of the judge to get his CCL the judge was sentencing criminals to 15 years a pop and most counts also included "illegal posession of a firearm". Some people got 30+ years. The system might not be perfect but why throw it out the window for complete deregulation?

I think a seperate amendment specifically protecting the rights of registered gun owners is a step in the right direction. I also think if you put the licensure at the national level and maintain a seperate permit for high capacity it would help legal gun owners rather than hurt them. All the $$ the NRA sifts away can be put to better use because this would effectively put them out of business. We could finally move on and go after the real issues with guns in this country, like continuing to recover illegal guns, putting violent criminals behind bars and making guns safer in the household - fingerprint recognition technology is not too far away, easier and safer locks.

I hold a RN license. I went to school for 4 years to get it, went through a national test, several federal background tests. Yet every 2 years I have to hack up more money and take CC courses to renew my license. And this is just for my "privelage" to have a profession! But my applying for a license and doing what is needed to maintain it is me keeping up my end of the bargain as a citizen IMO. Because people in this country decided they want health professionals to maintain licensure. So I do it. Are there people nailed occasionally for practicing without a license? Sure there are. So does that justify throwing out the entire licensure system? Get my drift?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
It symbolizes your comliance with the standards society wishes to place on it's legal gun owners. Should you break the trust the license goes bye-bye.
That is an excellent way to put it.

Quote:
I think a seperate amendment specifically protecting the rights of registered gun owners is a step in the right direction.
The 2nd Amendment is enough. It already grants the right to keep and bear arms. Registration doesn't restrict that right, so further specification isn't really necessary. For example, we have the right to freedom of expression. We don't need further amendments to guarantee our right specific types of expression that are already protected -- such as telling jokes, calling our parents, or posting on City-Data!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
This "criminals don't register guns" argument is a load of hogwash. Registration or "permits" does not imply that you are not going to be a criminal with your firearm, nor does it imply that your gun is going to be taken from you. It symbolizes your comliance with the standards society wishes to place on it's legal gun owners. Should you break the trust the license goes bye-bye.

If you are a criminal with a gun and are busted, is it not true that you also get charged with illegal posession? Is that not punished more severely? You think that these people never get busted? When my DH went in front of the judge to get his CCL the judge was sentencing criminals to 15 years a pop and most counts also included "illegal posession of a firearm". Some people got 30+ years. The system might not be perfect but why throw it out the window for complete deregulation?

I think a seperate amendment specifically protecting the rights of registered gun owners is a step in the right direction. I also think if you put the licensure at the national level and maintain a seperate permit for high capacity it would help legal gun owners rather than hurt them. All the $$ the NRA sifts away can be put to better use because this would effectively put them out of business. We could finally move on and go after the real issues with guns in this country, like continuing to recover illegal guns, putting violent criminals behind bars and making guns safer in the household - fingerprint recognition technology is not too far away, easier and safer locks.

I hold a RN license. I went to school for 4 years to get it, went through a national test, several federal background tests. Yet every 2 years I have to hack up more money and take CC courses to renew my license. And this is just for my "privelage" to have a profession! But my applying for a license and doing what is needed to maintain it is me keeping up my end of the bargain as a citizen IMO. Because people in this country decided they want health professionals to maintain licensure. So I do it. Are there people nailed occasionally for practicing without a license? Sure there are. So does that justify throwing out the entire licensure system? Get my drift?
I disagree,so called compliance with society's wishes could also be construed as tyranny by the masses,regarding certain issues..Having a professional career is not safeguarded in the Bill of Rights while owning a weapon and self defense is.

Also,as I mentioned in another thread Canada created a registration that has depleted their budget while doing little good.Once you license something,it becomes a privilage not a right,controled by the whims of the government.

There is also not many who want to ban RN'S ,while there are a said few who would ban and confiscate firearms if given the chance.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Once you license something,it becomes a privilage not a right,controled by the whims of the government.
Again, registering your gun...registering to vote. When has voting become controlled by the whims of government?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 PM

like I said putup or shutup, except a right to own a gun, unable to be confiscated or all bets off! this is not nor ever will be the uk or other country. no more comparisons of any kind. except I have a permanent right to own and use a gun unrestricted to confiscation or you all are full of it and your true want is confiscation.put it in print right now or go make cookies and leave us alone. If you want my respect for your position, respect my right, not privaledge, to own a gun. no limits, no fine print.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM

Default gun crimes up

after registering there guns , in both england and austrailia, there guns were later banned. confiscated. funny thing is that gun crimes went up and stay up. 10% higher in england, 7% in austrailia. just gun related crimes. thats after hundreds of thousands of guns are are destroyed, gone for good. shouldnt it go down? wonder who didnt turn in there guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies