Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,279,522 times

Advertisements

Choose to be poor???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 04:12 PM

350 posts, read 654,517 times
And let us not forget that many of our jobs are being outsourced to places with cheaper labour markets - this includes not just manufacturing, but all types of work. A company I was a consultant for did just that - laid off much of their American technical staff and farmed the tasks to India. These highly trained Americans are told to 'retrain', but to what? Almost any job that is done with computers can be sent abroad. So what jobs will be left?

What this comes down to is that the hardline republicans don't mind billions and billions of dollars going for an unjust war, but not one penny for someone who 'chose' poverty.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,873,255 times
perhaps you should read the title of the thread. why do "so many" people choose to be poor. I would venture to guess that about 90% of people choose to live this way. for every 1 personal catastrophe, there are 50 people addicted to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, expensive things they can't afford. you are now trying to generalize why people feel this way. if I am not mistaken, you were a school teacher, not a psychologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have a feeling that people who keep claiming that "the poor deserve what they get and choose to be poor" are very similar to those who, when a young woman is raped, claim that it is the fault of the clothes she wore or her being out after dark. Or, when a child is kidnapped or molested, etc, they claim that if the parents had only done this or that it wouldn't have happened. The reason people behave in this manner is because they are terribly frightened that the same thing will happen to them and they will find their lives smashed to smithereens. They think that if they tell themselves that people really CAN control everything that happens to them so these people must have CHOSEN what happened, then they make themselves believe that they can control everything in their own lives and keep the boogyman away. Sadly, life will teach them differently.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,521,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
And let us not forget that many of our jobs are being outsourced to places with cheaper labor markets - this includes not just manufacturing, but all types of work. A company I was a consultant for did just that - laid off much of their American technical staff and farmed the tasks to India. These highly trained Americans are told to 'retrain', but to what? Almost any job that is done with computers can be sent abroad. So what jobs will be left?

The jobs where computers are tools and not the sole means of income.....Have you seen the price of comp. engineers in America as opposed to the rest of the world? It was only a matter of time.....same thing happened with the textile industry.

The more technical jobs that require the use of computers will still be here. this is in just reference to the comp. tech. programs that people go after cause it's an easy 6 figure income.

Not willing to retrain is not an acceptable excuse with all due respect.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:18 PM

I don't know your situation well enough to judge. but I can make a couple of assumptions. you say you need a knee replacement, so I am guessing that you are not young. you are also working full time and going to school. I am guessing that you made lots of mistakes when you were younger. just a guess though, as I said, I don't know enough about your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
So you tell me what I do wrong okay? I work full time, and go to school full time. Through no fault of my own my knee started having issues about a year ago. Now, I am told, if I don't have surgery soon, I may loose my knee and need an artificial one. I pay for my own school, books, car, house, etc. I can not afford healthcare. So what am I to do? Drop out of school in order to pay for my surgery and the years it would take me to pay off with my current job OR stay in school and possibly not be able to finish anyway because of my knee?

Oh and btw I also take care of a teen in highschool who was in an abusive situation and I let him come here so he didn't have to go through what he was. But hey...im just a poor bum of society.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
some degree of validity, though the idea that all poor people wana be, is not correct. probably closer to the truth is that many, not all, of american ghetto poor consistently make bad decisions . they do not take advantage of opportunties to advance themselves, especially things that do not have an ego payoff.
the fear of failure is enormous, that most of us relate to. what is hard to relate to, for most of us, is their terror of success.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:21 PM

here is some advice for the poor people out there. instead of paying $100 a month on stuff you don't need, put that $100 in a mutual fund, and at the end of the year, you will be making money. however, you have to realize that once you do, democrats define you as being "filthy rich" and will tax you back into poverty.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:23 PM

the american ghettos make me want to puke. never have so many leeches gathered in one place. I live right next to the ghetto, and unless hanging out at the store, or on a front porch pays a lot of money, there are a lot of worthless healthy people out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
some degree of validity, though the idea that all poor people wana be, is not correct. probably closer to the truth is that many, not all, of american ghetto poor
consistently make bad decisions and do not take advantage of opportunties to advance themselves especially things that do not have an ego payoff.
the fear of failure is enormous that most of us relate to, what is hard to relate to for most of us is their terror of success.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:23 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,205,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't know your situation well enough to judge. but I can make a couple of assumptions. you say you need a knee replacement, so I am guessing that you are not young. you are also working full time and going to school. I am guessing that you made lots of mistakes when you were younger. just a guess though, as I said, I don't know enough about your situation.
I'm 22. I'm in the national college honor society and have a 3.7 gpa. I just happen to have a crappy knee...unfortunately. I have very little family and so...I am stuck paying for everything myself. I was doing just fine until my knee locked up at work and I fell on my face. I was working through the pain but it is getting worse and so now...I have no idea what to do. Just gonna keep on going through school and hope that I can finish. If i can't it will be NO fault of my own.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 PM

I would be willing to bet you that you could get a CRAP LOAD of money from the government in the form of grants. all it takes is a little research online and you could be getting checks. the grant money is out there, it just takes some poking around to find it. the grant money usually goes to waste. I know my brother got his last 2 years of school totally paid for by grants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I'm 22. I'm in the national college honor society and have a 3.7 gpa. I just happen to have a crappy knee...unfortunately. I have very little family and so...I am stuck paying for everything myself. I was doing just fine until my knee locked up at work and I fell on my face. I was working through the pain but it is getting worse and so now...I have no idea what to do. Just gonna keep on going through school and hope that I can finish. If i can't it will be NO fault of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies