Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against legalization of Marijuana?
Yes 45 73.77%
No 13 21.31%
undecided 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times

Advertisements

This issue is a sticky one... I believe the personal decision to do whatever you want to your body should be yours... but we also live in a society where the actions and decisions of others have a direct and indirect impact on others every day..
so on one side you could say it is a matter of personal liberty... but on the other it could be an issue of personal liberty for others....

If you want to sit at home and get blazed... that should be your own decision...and that issue would lead me to believe it should be legal
BUT... when I think of day to day life and the addictive nature such drugs have... I wouldn't want the person that's blazed or strung out.. changing the oil in my car, managing my bank and investment accounts, teaching my kids, or performing surgery on anyone....You can make something as legal as you want... but then how are we going to ensure it does not endanger others? we would still have to have drug testing... and many other stands against it for the sake of public safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
This issue is a sticky one... I believe the personal decision to do whatever you want to your body should be yours... but we also live in a society where the actions and decisions of others have a direct and indirect impact on others every day..
so on one side you could say it is a matter of personal liberty... but on the other it could be an issue of personal liberty for others....
How is Joe Spliff infringing on anyone's liberty when he rolls a fattie at home after work?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How is Joe Spliff infringing on anyone's liberty when he rolls a fattie at home after work?
I don't think he is.. that's what I said... that scenario would make me be in favour of making it legal
but if he's rollin a fattie before he goes to work as a teacher, doctor, or anyone for that matter... he could be potentially affecting others... that is the reason why I am not completely sold on making it legal...

Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I have no interest in using it, but I'd rather see the police, prosecutors and courts spend more of their time on public safety issues. And less on checking to see who is having fun in the privacy of their own home.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM

I think there has to be some middle ground on the issue... but legalizing it would mean that it could be bought and sold in the public marketplace as well.. and that brings a whole other host of issues to examine...
I try to think of smoking cigarettes.. Like if I wanted to smoke on school property.. I would be fined.. not put in prison.. perhaps something like this could handle the issue..
BUT I would not waiver in my stance on having the full extent of the law come down upon individuals who have exercised their right to get high and it has resulted in the harm or infringement of others... i don't like the idea of a pot smoker teaching my kids, the doctor who writes my prescriptions and performs surgery...or the kid working down at Mcdonalds being a pot smoker for that matter.... and I realize it already happens.. but just making it legal.. would send the wrong message that it is ok... we would still have to ensure that personal decisions associated with the use and misuse of the substance.. is enforcable by the law... we have a hard enough time doing that with the things that are legal already.. such as alcohol... I don't have a clear and solid solution or answer to this issue.. I guess I'm open to be persuaded either way

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
This is the question:

Are you for or against legalization of Marijuana?
Yes
No
undecided

It makes no sense... you ask if we're for or against, which isn't a yes or no question
I addressed this in my original post

Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I don't think he is.. that's what I said... that scenario would make me be in favour of making it legal
but if he's rollin a fattie before he goes to work as a teacher, doctor, or anyone for that matter... he could be potentially affecting others... that is the reason why I am not completely sold on making it legal...
Alcohol is legal but there are laws against public intoxication, same could apply to weed.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I think there has to be some middle ground on the issue... but legalizing it would mean that it could be bought and sold in the public marketplace as well.. and that brings a whole other host of issues to examine...
I try to think of smoking cigarettes.. Like if I wanted to smoke on school property.. I would be fined.. not put in prison.. perhaps something like this could handle the issue..
BUT I would not waiver in my stance on having the full extent of the law come down upon individuals who have exercised their right to get high and it has resulted in the harm or infringement of others... i don't like the idea of a pot smoker teaching my kids, the doctor who writes my prescriptions and performs surgery...or the kid working down at Mcdonalds being a pot smoker for that matter.... and I realize it already happens.. but just making it legal.. would send the wrong message that it is ok... we would still have to ensure that personal decisions associated with the use and misuse of the substance.. is enforcable by the law... we have a hard enough time doing that with the things that are legal already.. such as alcohol... I don't have a clear and solid solution or answer to this issue.. I guess I'm open to be persuaded either way
Would you rather have an alcoholic doctor or teacher?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Legalize it, tax it to death, and tell your kids that it's bad for them.
We already do it with cigarettes and alcohol, so why not?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Apply the same logic to alcohol...

Driving, flying and boating while intoxicated are already illegal. Most employment contracts also have similar stipulations - certainly for jobs where one is working with kids. Doctors are licensed by the state, and while I have no direct knowledge, I have little doubt that a license could be revoked for practicing while under the influence.

In other words, your concerns have already been addressed. If you're OK with alcohol being legal, and the reasons you stated are the only ones you have, then you have no logical reason to be against legalizing marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies