Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

I think it is hilarious that if I were to ask any of you about the importance of formal education, you would say you can learn just as much from going to a library on your own than you can at an actual university (no one here is going to call themselves dumb, and very few of us have graduate degrees), but when it comes to the leaders of our country, for some reason we lose respect for them when they don't have that formal education.

Anyone who has seriously looked into any formal education will realize that undergrad GPA and GRE/LSAT/MCAT scores do not really matter all that much. Personally, I would rather have someone as a president who can make smart decisions and critically understand the extent of a problem than someone with a perfect GPA. I had plenty of professors in college who have PhD's, but are absolute idiots.

Just because someone has good grades does not mean they will be a good leader.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
I've never been to college, but then again nobody's voting for me. I don't think, anyway. You could always write in "jfre81" on Election Day if you want.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I think it is hilarious that if I were to ask any of you about the importance of formal education, you would say you can learn just as much from going to a library on your own than you can at an actual university (no one here is going to call themselves dumb, and very few of us have graduate degrees), but when it comes to the leaders of our country, for some reason we lose respect for them when they don't have that formal education.

Anyone who has seriously looked into any formal education will realize that undergrad GPA and GRE/LSAT/MCAT scores do not really matter all that much. Personally, I would rather have someone as a president who can make smart decisions and critically understand the extent of a problem than someone with a perfect GPA. I had plenty of professors in college who have PhD's, but are absolute idiots.

Just because someone has good grades does not mean they will be a good leader.

Uhhhh... yeah, education counts. Undergraduate degrees make you a more well-rounded person with a greater knowledg base and ability to think critically. Graduate degrees give you very specific knowledge in a certain area.

Bush got bad grades, and look where we're at. I'd like to think the president and VP are smarter than me. Out of all four running, I don't get the feeling Palin is smarter than me.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Being Obama's people supposedly blocked access to his college records, how do we know for sure anything about his accomplishments.
To me, the fact he blocked them suggests they were not that impressive.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Einstein was considered an idiot and a failure in his youth.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default Yep ! ... "A Whole Boat Load Of Smarts" ! Has Seemingly "Vanished" ! ... What ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
unless you are handed a spot for diversity reasons
bryan61 ... !!! Precisely !

Indeed ... There must be a damn good reason why "The Pitiful Ones" so called academic records are not made public !

More importantly though is the matter of "What Ever Happened" to that much proclaimed "Towering Intellect" that HO was susposed to possess
since he has inhabited the "Ole Yankee WH" ???

It either vanished or perhaps some of the lil' "Looney Liberal" blighters were telling the good folks in the States a bloody "Big One" about all them so called "Smarts" !

Such rot as this coming from some of the ole "DINO" muppets exceedingly confirms the ever growing conception regarding their seemingly "Off One's Onion" mindset !!! Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 03-26-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
All that edumucation and still dumb as a rock.

And to think it took him almost 20 years to pay of his student loans after making millions for years.

Student loans, what?

Why did he have student loans if he was so brilliant? Many get what we call scholarships and do not have massive loan debt like the Obamas did for years.

Why did he not get any scholarships?

Most liberals would not know about scholarships at great colleges because they usually get student loans and default on them. Waiting for Obama to eliminate them like he has mentioned several times.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Putting the word HONOR with Obama is crazy.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Them Thar ... Really, Really, Really "Smart" Career Politician's" Waht ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
So back to the original question, why won't Obama release his transcripts from Columbia? What is he hiding? Are his grades lower than Gore, Bush and Kerry's?

Obama's Years at Columbia Are a Mystery - September 2, 2008 - The New York Sun

"The Obama campaign has refused to release his college transcript, despite an academic career that led him to Harvard Law School and, later, to a lecturing position at the University of Chicago. The shroud surrounding his experience at Columbia contrasts with that of other major party nominees since 2000, all whom have eventually released information about their college performance or seen it leaked to the public.
For better or worse, voters have taken an interest in candidates' grades since 1999, when the New Yorker published President Bush's transcript at Yale and disclosed that he was a C student. Mr. Bush had never portrayed himself as a brain, but many were surprised to learn the next year that his opponent, Vice President Gore, did not do much better at Harvard despite his intellectual image. When Senator Kerry's transcript surfaced, reporters found that he actually had a slightly lower average at Yale than Mr. Bush did."
LNTT !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... The "Pesudo Towering Intellect" in the ole WH ... Har ... Har ... Harr !!! "We Won't Be Fooled Again" in 2012 !

Cheerio / Not So Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Putting the word HONOR with Obama is crazy.
Sunny-Days90 !!! ... Precisely !

Rep Later ! Cheerio / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies