Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

In college, I took a course in General Semantics. Some people even try to debunk Semantics as a conspiracy theory, but that semester taught me some things that are very helpful to grapple with this conspiracy theory idea. Semantics is the study of what people mean when they say things.

Conspiracy theorists don't call themselves that. That is a euphemism for "crackpot" coined by people who take conspiracy theorists so seriiously, that they spend an equal amount of effort debunking them. Conspiracy Theorists are not an organized group, like the Rotarians or the Glee Club that meets once a month to see if anybody has any new ideas that they can develop into a conspiracy theory. As events unfold, lies are told, denials arise, chairs are thrown, there are bound to be people who will notice that not every representation has an obvious imprimatur of veracity, and advocates of one side or another have a vested interest in a certain version. Hence, a project arises that is disparagingly and derisively called a conspiracy theory by those who wish the project had not arisen.

Back to Sematics. An interesting exercise is to coin a term for people who hope a conspiracy theory will be debunked, or actually work at debunking it. What could we call them? The best term I can think of is Orthodoxy Apologists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't limit myself to hanging with Republicans. Southern Florida may be corrupt, but the whole State of New York is... The City of New York, the CIty of Buffalo, the City of Rochester, then Erie County, Niagara County, etc...
----------------

"Southern Florida may be corrupt, but the whole State of New York is... The City of New York, the CIty of Buffalo, the City of Rochester, then Erie County, Niagara County, "

I disagree used to live in PA and yes NY has corruption but not bad compared to other places be it Rep or Dem.

The new Gvnr there is on borrowed time as even Dems I know in NY are voting against him. Bloomberg is great.

Rangel should go its high time he does .

Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Mexico has a lot of oil. When's the invasion?

There is no need to invade Mexico as the politicians there are so corrupt easy enough to buy off

Old 09-10-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
We have invaded Iraq, have pretty much occupied Saudi, and now beefing up with Iran. Next on the agenda is Venizuela. Okay, there will only be top two oil rich countries left within the next 15-20 yrs or so, USA & Russia. I guess it's time for me to start digging trenches and stuff, it looks like pretty soon we shall invade ourselves for oil too.
---------------

I can't stand Chavez but regardless of what I like he was elected in a fair election .

I agree we are poking him and shoving him trying to get a fight going.
He is so dumb he will walk into the trap however it still doesn't change the fact that we are doing what we are doing.

The Colombian military (their elite units) were here in Florida training at the Glades I saw and spoke to some while fishing by Ocochobee .

They have way more jungle than we do so who know's why they were here.
God forbid the media would do a story about it and it was certainly no secret .

Old 09-10-2008, 05:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
We ... have pretty much occupied Saudi
More crazy talk. We had a military presence there, at the pleasure of the Saudi government. When asked to leave, we did. Your use of the word "occupation" is intentionally inflammatory and factually inaccurate.

Quote:
and now beefing up with Iran.
There will be no invasion of Iran. If it happens, air strikes will be as far as it goes, unless we have a very large coalition at our side, including troops from other middle eastern countries.

Quote:
Next on the agenda is Venizuela. Okay, there will only be top two oil rich countries left within the next 15-20 yrs or so, USA & Russia.
You forgot Canada - they're the country we get more oil from than any other. But I'm sure you already knew that - you seem very well informed on this subject.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

214 posts, read 288,060 times
Food for Thought:
Ref. Market Watch: 3:18 EDT Sept.8, 2008
Significant New Information Details CIA Criminal Culpability in Allowing the 9/11 Attacks

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You forgot Canada - they're the country we get more oil from than any other. But I'm sure you already knew that - you seem very well informed on this subject.
Of course Canada is out of discussion. They are democratic, and treat their citizens they with dignity. Yeeaa ryte , like we are ever gonna tell anybody that we are invading them b/c of oil

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM

26 posts, read 44,663 times
Marvin P. Bush, the president’s younger brother, was a principal in a company called Securacom that provided security for the World Trade Center, United Airlines, and Dulles International Airport. The company, Burns noted, was backed by KuwAm, a Kuwaiti-American investment firm on whose board Marvin Burns also served. [Utne]
According to its present CEO, Barry McDaniel, the company had an ongoing contract to handle security at the World Trade Center "up to the day the buildings fell down."
The company lists as government clients "the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S Air force, and the Department of Justice," in projects that "often require state-of-the-art security solutions for classified or high-risk government sites." Marvin? Who knew?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,510 times
Face it people, 911 was an inside job. Check this out, if you dare:
YouTube - Zeitgeist - The Movie: World Trade Center (Part 1 of 4)

Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
9-11 was an inside job. the boogie man was contracted by a leprechaun. it was after that time when an army of unicorns flew flying saucers into the world trade center. when bigfoot saw what had happened, he contacted the lochness monster for a meeting with the cyclops. we are still awaiting the results of the cyclops sessions, aka the cyclops papers, to determine once and for all, that it was indeed an inside job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Face it people, 911 was an inside job. Check this out, if you dare:
YouTube - Zeitgeist - The Movie: World Trade Center (Part 1 of 4)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies