Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Write your Congressman to support alternative energy research and extend the tax rebates and programs.

You don't like relying on a foreign company for your energy..then find an alternative.
Direct our money toward that rather than these "oil wars" in the ME.

Not only does this war cost us to fund the war but after we send billions to rebuild the infrastructure and get their economy back on it's feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Write your Congressman to support alternative energy research and extend the tax rebates and programs.
I have a better idea. Just tele-port yourself back to the 1960s, then you won't be dependent on "OPEC oil."

Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Write your Congressman .
My Congressman is Ron Paul. Somehow, I don't think he would like very many of my ideas about anything, and writing him would waste more time than posting on thie board, and have even less effect.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go to your convenience store and put a gallon of gas in your tank. Then go to the fountain, and start filling cups until you have a gallon of Mountain Dew. Go to the cash register and see which costs more, the gas of the pop. Then thiink about where that gas came from and how it got made and how it got to the gas station. Then run the same analysis on the source of the Mountain Dew. Now, who is that's ripping us off?
That's kind of a stupid example. Go buy Twinkies, crush them up until you have the same weight as gallon of soda. See what costs more. Nothing like comparing Soda to Gasoline.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go to your convenience store and put a gallon of gas in your tank. Then go to the fountain, and start filling cups until you have a gallon of Mountain Dew. Go to the cash register and see which costs more, the gas of the pop. Then thiink about where that gas came from and how it got made and how it got to the gas station. Then run the same analysis on the source of the Mountain Dew. Now, who is that's ripping us off?
Some other comparisions:
(link: State of the Art: The High Cost of Printing: A Liquid Comparison)
Scotch (Glenfid - single malt) -- $400 / gallon
Printer ink -- $4000 / gal
I am with Reps on this one. You need to increase both the supply (republican goal) and reduce demand (democrat goal). But Dems are unreasonable - they ban drilling in CA and other states, put restrictions on refineries and hope things will magically improve.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Scotch (Glenfid - single malt) -- $400 / gallon
Printer ink -- $4000 / gal
I am with Reps on this one. You need to increase both the supply (republican goal) and reduce demand (democrat goal). But Dems are unreasonable - they ban drilling in CA and other states, put restrictions on refineries and hope things will magically improve.
Increasing the supply does nothing. When will you people learn that?

Printer ink is made in part with petro-chemicals refined from light oil.

Can you say that? Light oil? Sure, I knew you could. Do you think there's a qualitative difference between heavy oil and light oil? What was your first freaking clue? Maybe the words 'heavy' and 'light' ?

How about this, how about not importing light oil from OPEC countries, and then because you can no longer make printer's ink, there won't be any printer's ink to whine and cry about.

See how easy life really is?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Just stop buying gasoline if you don't like the price. It IS that simple

Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
The dollar is up thus oil is down.

Markets tend to run in cycles and lately seem to overshoot sanity on either end.

>Increasing the supply does nothing. When will you people learn that?< HUH? Ill hafta write my econ prof that he was wrong.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Increasing the supply does nothing. When will you people learn that?

Printer ink is made in part with petro-chemicals refined from light oil.

Can you say that? Light oil? Sure, I knew you could. Do you think there's a qualitative difference between heavy oil and light oil? What was your first freaking clue? Maybe the words 'heavy' and 'light' ?

How about this, how about not importing light oil from OPEC countries, and then because you can no longer make printer's ink, there won't be any printer's ink to whine and cry about.

See how easy life really is?
Increasing supply does nothng? Wow!

The ink price was just a pointer. Inks are more expensive because of the electronics that goes into the cartridge - not the ink itself. The business model is to sell printers at a low price and charge more (too much) for ink. Maybe you can also differentiate between sweet and sour crude.

Previous poster had drinking water price as a good example. A few yrs ago, without taxes, water was more expensive than gas we put in the car. We all got used to it and now think it is our birthright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies