Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobodog View Post
Ref: Bush aka W.
The Constitution: "It's just a goddamned piece of paper...
Citation on that quotation please.

I know he probably feels that way, but there's no proof he ever said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 AM

214 posts, read 288,211 times
To: KantLockeMeIn

For on-line research to find the proof that he really said it: enter "Bush + [the quote]," and the relevant information will come up. Then, you can decide if it's true or not. I agree with you - the best policy is to believe nothing until you can prove it to your own satisfaction.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
[b] the best policy is to believe nothing until you can prove it to your own satisfaction.

There are a lot of people on here who have proved some pretty bizarre things "to their own satisfaction".

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM

To: jtur88

Freedom is strange, and truth is stranger than fiction.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,586,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I'm watching the show First 48 on A&E and I'm amazed at how these knuckleheads go down to the station and are interrogated--even though the police sometimes don't have enough evidence to charge them. I'm glad these knuckleheads are being taken off the street but why in the hell do they talk to the police.

All you have to say is "I want a lawyer."

You have nothing to gain by talking to the police.

Absolutely right - thanks for this post!!!

I always tell my children that the police are definitely your friend, until you are suspected of breaking the law - in which case you must not tell them anything other than your name and address, and call home so we can come get you with/without a lawyer.

People often put themselves into a hole when they consider the police to be their friends in these situations - and say things that are later used against them in court.

When detained by the police, insist on having a lawyer present... You don't have to answer their questions...

Old 09-27-2008, 12:52 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,313,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I'm watching the show First 48 on A&E and I'm amazed at how these knuckleheads go down to the station and are interrogated--even though the police sometimes don't have enough evidence to charge them. I'm glad these knuckleheads are being taken off the street but why in the hell do they talk to the police.

All you have to say is "I want a lawyer."

You have nothing to gain by talking to the police.
I recently saw an episode where the suspect did not want to talk any further until counsel was provided to him. The interview was stopped immediately. The cops weren't too pleased as they were getting the momentum going in their investigation, but they had to follow the law.

I ALWAYS go by the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise. The mere fact that someone may "look" the part is not enough to prove the commission of a crime. However, if that person did commit and it is proven, then yes, keep them off the streets.

I love this show and it seems all of the men and women do their jobs in a fair and impartial manner, despite some of the scum they have to deal with on a daily basis. I especially enjoy watching the Memphis crew.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
Ref: Bush aka W.
The Constitution: "It's just a goddamned piece of paper...
Why not source this so people can see how stupid this claim that he said this was, hmm? Oh that's right, you are afraid that they will see that this was a claim made by sources who they claim are aids who will not identify themselves, but say this is what he said. Have we really become this stupid as a public? Is our education level these days barely above the ability to breathe? Please tell me you do not believe in things this stupid, do you?

Old 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

I love this show and it seems all of the men and women do their jobs in a fair and impartial manner, despite some of the scum they have to deal with on a daily basis. .
Do you think this is a live show, in which everything they do is shown, and nobody knows they are on candid camera? Or are there producers and editors who are creating a finished product in which the appearance is somewhat they way they want it to be? I've never seen the show, but I would anticipate watching it with the same misgivings that I have when I start to watch the "news". I.e., what I'm seeing is a reflection of somebody's agenda.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 PM

To: Nomander

CounterPunch :Edited by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St.Clair
Date: December 14, 2005
Bush and the Constitution
"Just a Goddamned Piece of Paper" by Gary Leupp
By the way,The Patriot Act speaks louder than words...

Last edited by lobodog; 09-27-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
To: Nomander

CounterPunch :Edited by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St.Clair
Date: December 14, 2005
Bush and the Constitution
"Just a Goddamned Piece of Paper" by Gary Leupp
By the way,The Patriot Act speaks louder than words...

http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp12142005.html
Quote:
[SIZE=+3]D[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]oug Thompson, publisher of Capitol Hill Blue, says he's talked to three people present last month when Republican Congressional leaders met with President Bush in the Oval Office to talk about renewing the Patriot Act. That act, passed by legislators who hadn't read it, in the immediate aftermath of 9-11 (when most people were shell-shocked and lawmakers in particular disinclined to use their brains), has of course been criticized as containing unconstitutional elements. All three GOP politicians quote their president as saying: "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face! It's just a goddamned piece of paper!"[/SIZE]
Read the bold. He said, she said, they said, he talked to someone who knew someone who said they heard someone say something that someone was saying they said it was exactly what they said.

Seriously, save this for the stupid morons who believe it. It is, nothing short of pure BS. Can we verify it? nope. Who said it? Sorry, can't name names. Is there anyway to possibly put any validity to this claim? Nope, this is yet another tactic made by slanderers who love to lie through their teeth because they are so enraged at something, they think "The ends justifies the means". That is, they have no problems lying through their teeth, making up crap and using slander because they think it is serving a greater good. Only those who are too stupid to breathe would take this and run with it. Again I ask you, do you believe this? Are you having a hard time breathing while you think of an answer? I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies