Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 67,073 times

Advertisements

Hi- I have to ask to ask for help with a project I'm working on for a class. I read this book called Sundown Towns, A Hidden Dimension of American Racism by James W. Loewen. He also has a website for continued and expanded research.
http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundowntowns.php
Since I was born in Huntington Beach, CA, I chose HB for my paper as a possible sundown town, although now I'm going to school in Georgia. "A sundown town is any organized jurisdiction that for decades kept African Americans or other groups from living in it and was thus all-white on purpose." I think it also gets that name from the fact that signs were posted to keep African Americans out, especially after dark. One such sign on the cover of the book reads, "Whites Only Within City Limits After Dark." The time frame can be from the 1900s or earlier on up. Can anyone help with information such as books or articles to read or stories about African Aamericans being kept out or kicked out violently or in more subtle ways as it pertains to the city of Huntington Beach, in Orange County California. Or anything about segregation, signs to keep African Americans out, pictures, etc. I'm only 21 and it's disturbing to read how people treated each other just because of color. Thanks much. Matt

Last edited by tonk; 09-29-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
What about the towns where white people can't go after sundown? They don't count?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Default School project related to subject matter given

Hi- It's a project for a class and I could only choose one town for the topic of this book. I understand that racism works both ways though. I've experienced it.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
I have never even heard of the place... go to the California forums.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about the towns where white people can't go after sundown? They don't count?

No. They dont count. Stop acting like the 'suffering' of whites due to racism by blacks even approaches to any degree the hate blacks have endured in this country.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Could you please stay on point for at least 20 seconds.
She needs info for a school project, not your rantings.
Whites will not venture into some black area due to perceived and/or real danger.
NO black goverment body has EVER passed statutes barring whites from ANY city, town, etc.
No white person was hung,beaten,burned and castrated while black sheriff's and policemen looked on and did nothing.
We all know there is racism on both sides but that dosen't justify you continually highjacking threads because they show the side of racism you want to ignore.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM

451 posts, read 835,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonk View Post
Hi- I have to ask to ask for help with a project I'm working on for a class. I read this book called Sundown Towns, A Hidden Dimension of American Racism by James W. Loewen. He also has a website for continued and expanded research.
http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundowntowns.php
Since I was born in Huntington Beach, CA, I chose HB for my paper as a possible sundown town, although now I'm going to school in Georgia. "A sundown town is any organized jurisdiction that for decades kept African Americans or other groups from living in it and was thus all-white on purpose." I think it also gets that name from the fact that signs were posted to keep African Americans out, especially after dark. One such sign on the cover of the book reads, "Whites Only Within City Limits After Dark." The time frame can be from the 1900s or earlier on up. Can anyone help with information such as books or articles to read or stories about African Aamericans being kept out or kicked out violently or in more subtle ways as it pertains to the city of Huntington Beach, in Orange County California. Or anything about segregation, signs to keep African Americans out, pictures, etc. I'm only 21 and it's disturbing to read how people treated each other just because of color. Thanks much. Matt
I'm a black person who was born and raised in Orange County CA I spent most of the summers durring the 1970's in H.B. I lived in H.B. in 1985-86 on Main st. near the pier and had many friends who let me crash at their places all over H.B. (1982-85) Not to mention the fact that I lived in Costa Mesa with in walking distance of Huntington Beach from 1990 to 2007, during that time my wife(who happens to be white) and I spent many evenings eating dinner at main st. restaurants then going for long walks along the coast and I have never not even once been a victim of racism in Huntington Beach.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
you might want to consider lookin into if HB had covenants written that stated when white people bought a house they would not sell it to black people later on. this was popular in the era preceeding white flight. places like south gate, lynwood and inglewood had covenants prohibiting the sale of housing to blacks. this language can still be found in contracts when a house is re sold, tho the covenants are now unenforceable.

also many sun down towns were de facto racist. it might not have been written in law or contracts, but it was just known.

im not too sure of orange county, but this was definintely the case in LA. La west of aleameda was black and the color line was very strictly enforced. cities like huntinton park and south gate and lynwood shared a border with the area of LA which came to be known as south central/watts.

again im not sure about OC, but LA has a very detailed history on this type of stuff.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks- I never thought race was an issue in HB either, but on the author's webite, he had HB listed as a "probable" sundown town. Most " sundown towns" are no longer that way...or at least it seems that way to me. They mainly appeared sometime in the 1920s and after WWII. The book says that the eastern europeans, the irish, the native americans, the hispanics, the chinese, etc, were all discriminated against at some time, but then for some unknown reason, it was more difficult to rid the US of discrimination against african americans. After reading the book, the governement seems to be the blame as they did not act to stop it in it's tracks. Thankfully people - most people- are more intelligent now.

Last edited by tonk; 09-29-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies