Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times

Advertisements

Fyi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Actually, I was thinking about making a thread concerning this.

Maybe we can actually put the whole Obama/McCain circus aside for a short while and have a more or less reasonable discussion or at least share some observations.

Clearly, we're all worried to a certain extent about the economy, for whatever reasons. I'd like to know though how deep these fears run. Do you really consider going to the store and getting a couple cans of food? Or a gun and ammo, if you don't own one yet? Do you not bother with any kind of 'emergency' supplies at all?

Maybe some people could share their thoughts.

In my case, I haven't really thought about emergency food/supplies for a while now. I think of myself as a fairly rational person. I must confess though that it has crossed my mind lately to budget in a couple of things which will keep. Food, candles, matches, some water. Sometimes, I think to myself that I'm going nuts and things will be allright. Then I find myself thinking that I don't really do enough at all. It's a very strange emotional rollercoaster ride, so to say.

Does anybody else experience similiar train of thoughts?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post

Maybe we can actually put the whole Obama/McCain circus aside for a short while and have a more or less reasonable discussion or at least share some observations.

Clearly, we're all worried to a certain extent about the economy, for whatever reasons. I'd like to know though how deep these fears run. Do you really consider going to the store and getting a couple cans of food? Or a gun and ammo, if you don't own one yet? Do you not bother with any kind of 'emergency' supplies at all?

In my case, I haven't really thought about emergency food/supplies for a while now. I think of myself as a fairly rational person. I must confess though that it has crossed my mind lately to budget in a couple of things which will keep. Food, candles, matches, some water. Sometimes, I think to myself that I'm going nuts and things will be allright. Then I find myself thinking that I don't really do enough at all. It's a very strange emotional rollercoaster ride, so to say.

Yes, very much so and I already have. Tuned up my firearms too, not that I EVER hope it comes to this! But when I read reports that our federal government is preparing for nationwide riots and a total failure of our economy, I figure I best prepare too. Chit is about to hit the fan, no way around it folks. Sad but true!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Stocking up on food, definitely.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:

I think that's obsessing. we're nowhere near 1929, thank FDR for that. However, no real solution can ever be acheived without a full and real investigation by an untainted SEC. Good luck with that though. Jefferson or jackson would get the job done, but as we stand now, we can't even get a true investigation of 9/11 or get the FDC to really research the medicines we ingest. Did you ever hear about rgbh?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

Well you should keep a stock of food anyway for emergencies like snowstorms, hurricanes, etc.

Beans, rice, canned goods (2 yr expiration), sugar, salt, flour, powdered milk, spices, water.

Think basics that have a long shelf life and can make you some meals.
Then..how do you cook them ? BBQ and a few bags of charcoal.

Stuff like that to get you through.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM

190 posts, read 443,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I think that's obsessing. we're nowhere near 1929, thank FDR for that. However, no real solution can ever be acheived without a full and real investigation by an untainted SEC. Good luck with that though. Jefferson or jackson would get the job done, but as we stand now, we can't even get a true investigation of 9/11 or get the FDC to really research the medicines we ingest. Did you ever hear about rgbh?
I'm thinking that Jefferson or Jackson would gut this bloated empire right now and restore true power to the citizens. But with our educational system having been sabotaged, odds are we aren't going to find a modern equivalent for a while.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
well it is Idaho so it doesn't surprise me. The only time I stock up is during hurricane season here in Florida. Guess what people America is not going to melt no matter the economy or who gets elected. The paranoia from the right is beyond absurd.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The paranoia from the right is beyond absurd.
There's no reason to bring right/left into this. The left is just as predisposed to paranoid fantasy as anyone.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Food and ER supplies flying off the shelves here in Idaho
Think it's got anything to do with the fact that the snow season is right around the corner? How much stocking up did people do around 1/1/2000 in the area? Maybe it's something that people in the area tend to do.

Last edited by scuba steve; 10-09-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies