Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times

Advertisements

Equal rights is equal rights. This should have happened a long time ago. Women can pull the trigger just as easy as a man. They have proven time and time again that they can make just as reasonable (or unreasonable) a decision as a man can. They can be just as competent (or incompetent) a leader as a man.

We've proven time and time again that race or sex doesn't hold water when it comes to jobs. Being a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine is a job also. In my nearly 21 years in the Navy, I have seen both good and bad women sailors (officer and enlisted) just as I have seen the same for men. It's based on individual capability.

My concern is where prisoner status and hand-to-hand combat comes into play. Inherently, men are stronger than women. This isn't an all encompassing statement (I know there are plenty of women physically, emotionally, and mentally stronger than I am). But, as a greater percentage, men are genetically pre-disposed to be stronger than women. And, when men get taken as POW, I think there's less likelihood (notice I didn't say "zero chance") of any thoughts of sexual deviance. With women, we could be setting them up for a lot worse time in a POW camp then men. I don't know. But those two things are my only reservations. Other than that, they are no more or less capable than men are to serve in combat situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:34 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Why should I get special treatment over a male in that case?
The only special treatment a women deserves is that they should not be expected to carry the weight that man would in "the field", unless of course they can pass some endurance test, their standard endurance testing should be done to a lesser degree than that of the men's based on statistical data. Other than that women should have an equal opportunity of getting shot at as the men do.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not?

I'm a veteran and agree with it.

The Israeli army uses women in combat.

We don't need your protection.
We are not second class citizens.
We are not weak.
We know our own minds.
We make our own decisions.

All war at all times is immoral.
I don't want my brother, son, husband killed for either.

1. your so independant you needed a man to tell u needed a man to tell you you were lieing and that women arent used in direct israelie combat. hahahaha

2. Im so glad you know more about men and women than science and what it has taught us. cause guess what? millions
of years of evolution would DISAGREE with you. the fact is that the historical way men and women have worked has relatively been the same for most of history. women had and looked after children. men went out and hunted. do you not think theres a reason men are taller or stronger in most cases than women? or that men gain muscle faster, hold it longer. its only in the past 200 years this has begun to change,but the instincts, ability and want to do it (protect) is still there. im sorry but i was worried you were going to say something stupid.

3. "we are not weak". actually you are. when compared with the average man, speed wise, reflex wise, strength wise, you are. if you were to have a sports record book that was all "people", not "en and women" catagories, youd probably not find one where the women beats the man.

4. war is not always immoral. read a damn history book for once and study some WW2. sure you can "make up your own minds and descisions" but your obviously not very good at it.

(sorry ladies i know your not all like this one this one, but anyone who basically discredits our veterans (for example ww2 because she said "all war at all times is immoral") and says what they did is immoral is quite frankly an idiot. or would you prefer to live in a nazi regime? spreken zie deutsch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Women cops, women firefighters, women soldiers, it's a new day, ladies are equal, they can do anything a man can do....
The old fashion thinkers are from another era. Come into today.....
yes and as we see time and time agian, standards are lowered to accomadate these women, putting people in jeopardy.
wow!!! congragulations!! you can lower standards just for the sake of putting women through then claim they are equal and can do anything!!! good for you. the fact is women are not the same as men. my teacher (formely in the army) dreaded women being put into his unit because of what he called "dead weight". it woudl take two of them to do the same thing one man could. and hes not sexist at all!! its just a fact!

the old fashion thinkers are often realists. realists whos opinion is crushed under political correctness and a fear of "insulting some women". today is about appeasing someone, and even lying, as long as it makes one group feel better

Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
The only special treatment a women deserves is that they should not be expected to carry the weight that man would in "the field", unless of course they can pass some endurance test, their standard endurance testing should be done to a lesser degree than that of the men's based on statistical data. Other than that women should have an equal opportunity of getting shot at as the men do.
wow stop the train? we have all the people here talking about "equality" and women jsut being as good and equal to women BUT then comes in the special treatment. i thought that women were equal to men.. why the special treatment?

does little timmy the orphaned soldier with a crutch get a break in war? does his fellow comrades carry him "on their backs when walking on his crutch becomes too much>?" hell no. timmy gets cut back at recruitment when he doesnt pass the 5 mile jog. same for women.

as this BS about "equality" is always followed with the "but", or the "special treatment". why isnt it equal and never will be? because even the test women do is easier, its not "equal" to the mans. so much for equality

Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I am a pacifist and believe that all war is immoral.
Now you're telling me that I don't know what I believe.
Guess I need a man to tell me that, too.

Why are you so afraid of women and their own strengths (not simply physical).

Old 10-13-2008, 01:34 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Why should I get special treatment over a male in that case?
The fact that you wouldn't in a draft for combat duty. That's my point. All volunteer yes maybe, but, if women are put on equal footing in combat duty with males with the strong arm of the law supporting this, my belief is this would be a huge mistake. Take a minor situation for example: Lets say the US is in another war like WW2. 2 people went awol from the front lines, one female, one male. For this crime you could face the firing squad which was in effect in ww2. Who do you think would be forgiven or even dismissed for this crime? Who do you think will suffer more in civilian life after one abandons their fellow soldiers to die in combat? How much fuss would be raised by blindfolding a female and shooting her for going awol? How do think the male soldiers would feel pulling the trigger on a female? How many organizations would crop up in the US over true or overblown stories of mistreatment of females in combat units that may tear at the very fabric of the Army or the Marines. How will the rules change to cater to females but could be at the expense of male lives? How many of these new rules will be kept quiet from the general public if a draft for females in combat were made into law?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I am a pacifist and believe that all war is immoral.
Now you're telling me that I don't know what I believe.
Guess I need a man to tell me that, too.

Why are you so afraid of women and their own strengths (not simply physical).
i guess you do, because i think 99% of people would agree with me on the ww2 thing. its unfortunate you need smarter than you to tell you and u our couldnt find out yourself by reading a book, or at worst and more at your level, watching an episode about ww2 on the history channel. and this has nothing to do with me being a man. it has to do with me realizing that soemtimes there are bad people out there, and the only way to stop it is war.

im not afraid "of a womens strength" which is yet another one of the "feminists myths" that somhow try to assert that all women have "magical deep down strength that bonds all "sisters" together. its complete bull****. its like the feminist version of the feminist version of the nazi superior race. " a man can never understand, only women have it" blah blah blah. we are all people and evolution has made us how we are over t
he proccess of millions of years.

if you were talking about other strengths... like what?....... this thread was about women in war... are you talking about women being generally more sensetive as a "strength". soo what we are tlaking about the army not a damn womens emotional support group

Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I'm educated enough to spell at the very least.
And I've been in and around the military for decades.

Please take your sexist notions and educate yourself.
Tell your mother, or sister, how weak and helpless all women are.
That should be a chuckle.

Off to the twit feature with you now. Don't expect any more responses.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM

the problem here is that standards are being lowered to let women in. the problem hasnt been discrimination against women because we felt like it. its the fact that 99 % of the women in the army couldnt pass the male test, and are gaining promotions based on their less adequit "female test". how can any women or man here tlak about equality when the tests arent even equatl. its bascically he biggest joke ive seen in a while.

lets consider putting the whole group in danger just to make some left wing, politclaly correct politicians and feminists happy.

id have alot more respect for women in the army, id actually see them as 'equals" if they passed the same test. but instead they are so concerned with getting in that they disregard qualification and reason, to be "politically correct and nice"

Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm educated enough to spell at the very least.
And I've been in and around the military for decades.

Please take your sexist notions and educate yourself.
Tell your mother, or sister, how weak and helpless all women are.
That should be a chuckle.

Off to the twit feature with you now. Don't expect any more responses.
the fact that ive gained rep for my posts here should be enough to say where at least some intelligent people stand here. also the fact that i write quickly, and that im doing my home and that my stupid keyboard jumps for some reason and i find that i have written a whole sentence in the middle of a paragraph makes it abit hard. because of this it takes tonnes of time to even write the smallest amounts of things.

even still, what would you prefer? someone who writes intelligent things with poor spelling? or someone who writes dumb things with perfect spelling? end of story.

the most respected people in my life are my mom and nanar (grandmother), but im also a realist. im not going to say 'oh my grandmother is way stronger than my grandfather, jsut to make a certian group happy?)

thats like nazi crap. defying reality just to make one group feel better and give them imaginary attributes (womens magical inner strength) despite what science says.

i dont care, i want women able to go into combat if they wish. but only if they meet the mens standards. all i want is equality. funny how im the one asking for that huh? if they can meet the emotional and physical , go for it!. but as we know sexual harrasment complaints, seperate utilities, an inability to stay in the field long amounts of time ect are all problems the military is having to cater to just to be 'equal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies