Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times

Advertisements

Candidates differ on female draft
What's everyone's take on this. Call me old fashion, but, I truly think this is an abomination. This has been a trend for sure but it looks like this has been a plan by both parties to ease the American public into allowing woman into combat. It's hard enough that our boys suffer this burden but to put our mothers, sisters, wives through this is unethical, immoral and borders on barbaric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Why not?

I'm a veteran and agree with it.

The Israeli army uses women in combat.

We don't need your protection.
We are not second class citizens.
We are not weak.
We know our own minds.
We make our own decisions.

All war at all times is immoral.
I don't want my brother, son, husband killed for bs either.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM

This sums it up for me.

"It is a common misperception that Israel allows women in combat units. In fact, women have been barred from combat in Israel since 1950, when a review of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War showed how harmful their presence could be. The study revealed that men tried to protect and assist women rather than continue their attack. As a result, they not only put their own lives in greater danger, but also jeopardized the survival of the entire unit. The study further revealed that unit morale was damaged when men saw women killed and maimed on the battlefield," Luddy said.

Writes Edward Norton, a reservist in the Israel Defense Forces: "Women have always played an important role in the Israeli military, but they rarely see combat; if they do, it is usually by accident. No one in Israel, including feminists, has any objection to this situation. The fact that the Persian Gulf War has produced calls to allow women on the front lines proves only how atypical that war was and how little Americans really understand combat."

"Few serious armies use women in combat roles. Israel, which drafts most of its young women and uses them in all kinds of military work, has learned from experience to take them out of combat zones. Tests show that few women have the upper-body strength required for combat tasks. Keeping combat forces all male would not be discriminatory, as were earlier racial segregation schemes in the military, because men and women are different both physically and psychologically."

Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
We can decide for ourselves if we wish to serve.

Why do you feel the need to make the decision for us?

What business is it of yours?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
I have no desire to be in a combat situation! I can't imagine being "in the field" while having my period...how does that work???
If a woman wants to do that, I have no real objection, but I wouldn't put myself in that position.
I just know that no matter how "fit" I am, I will never have the strength that a man will have, and I'd be a detriment to the outfit!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
We can decide for ourselves if we wish to serve.

Why do you feel the need to make the decision for us?

What business is it of yours?
A lot of deep thinking there, newtoli. You would not have a choice. You'd have no choice if you are a female and drafted for combat if it is made into law.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Women cops, women firefighters, women solgers, it's a new day, ladies are equal, they can do anything a man can do....
The old fashion thinkers are from another era. Come into today.....

Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
jmking, interesting. Thanks for the information.

We have women pilots in war zones, we have always had women nurses on frontlines.
It is not compulsory at this time for women to enter the military.
If they go in, then they should serve the same as the men.

I really don't need a man's protection for decisions I make.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
I don't want a draft, period. hopefully we will be able to maintain an all voluntary military, with both men and women.

As far as that goes...just what is combat these days? Women driving transport trucks well behind lines have been fired upon and even captured. Could a woman march miles with a 70lb pack on her back? More then likely not. But can women fly combat missions? Can women serve as snipers - we do tend to be much better at that, btw. There is much much more to the modern army then trench warfare, y'know...

Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
A lot of deep thinking there, newtoli. You would not have a choice. You'd have no choice if you are a female and drafted for combat if it is made into law.
Why should I get special treatment over a male in that case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies