Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
All I have to say is this;

Conn. boy shoots self in head with Uzi at gun fair -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-nauzi1027,0,4836120.story - broken link)
Too bad this child's parents never taught him basic gun safety. Then this tragic incident might not have occured.

I learned the above at my grandfathers knee almost as soon as I was able to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Seeing all these PRO gun posts makes me think Obama was right about how many Americans "cling" to their guns. Hey if owning a gun "floats your boat". LOL

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Seeing all these PRO gun posts makes me think Obama was right about how many Americans "cling" to their guns. Hey if owning a gun "floats your boat". LOL
Gun sales are RISING very quickly - woman are the fastest group of home buyers -

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Too bad this child's parents never taught him basic gun safety. Then this tragic incident might not have occured.

I learned the above at my grandfathers knee almost as soon as I was able to walk.
You are presuming that the child had no idea about guns. His parents were keen, responsible gun owners (just like your grandfather) and he probably had been taught whatever you were taught at his age. NO child can be responsible with a lethal weapon. Children are taught at a very very early age about the dangers of cars on the road yet still run out in front of them

Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You are presuming that the child had no idea about guns. His parents were keen, responsible gun owners (just like your grandfather) and he probably had been taught whatever you were taught at his age. NO child can be responsible with a lethal weapon. Children are taught at a very very early age about the dangers of cars on the road yet still run out in front of them
We put kids as young as 8 into NRA gun safety courses. They go hunting at that age also.

Yes - children can be responsible safe gun users

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Anyone in the UK who has a good reason to own a firearm can obtain a licence ( Farmers etc. ) No one else needs to own a firearm or wants one.
And what is a "good reason"? Why should anyone need a "reason" to own a firearm? What is the permit process? Who decides this "need" and "good reason"?

Gun Control Myths: The Case of England by Thomas Sowell -- Capitalism Magazine

Quote:
Criminals in all countries will always get firearms, it's just made much easier for anyone to get firearms in America.
Yep, that is why criminals always get guns where gun control laws are in effect. Sure, in America, the law-abiding citizen can get one as well. What is your point?

Quote:
Maybe the parents of the Children killed in the constant massacres in Schools etc. in America would disagree with you on why just ANYONE should be allowed to carry a lethal weapon. To say that their are checks on who can obtain a gun is pointless as all they have to do is get someone else to get it for them and that is sooo simple to do in America.
Lord a mercy...do even have enough sense to see that you are contradicting your own points?

IF, and you are right, criminals can always get guns in spite of gun control laws, then what are the point of the same laws? Other than to disarm the average citizen?

You know what I really would have wanted had my child attended Columbine? For the teacher (and I am a public school teacher) to have had the right to carry a firearm. It might have stopped that senseless massacre. Want to dispute me?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
True. What you are doing is making a case for responsible gun ownership and safety. Just as to learn how to drive a car and be taught traffic laws.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It is not pro-gun. It is pro Second Amendment. The right to keep and bear arms. Free choice to do so or not.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

If you read the article he was shooting it at a gun show with a licensed instructor and his father right there

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
If you read the article he was shooting it at a gun show with a licensed instructor and his father right there
And, once again, as tragic as this accident was, it is not a reason to ban guns TM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies