Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It is my belief that during the campaign the rich are multi millionaire aig capatilistic pigs.
After the election the rich will be anyone making above $40 grand yet not making enough $$$ to afford a cpa to hide the funds. The real rich keep the money, the poor get more government subsidized programs to keep them poor while the middle class is left holding the bag. That is my expectations.
Yep....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
So far the most of the wealth redistribution has gone to the folks that controlled most of the money and the economy. the big bankers and investment managers collecting the buyout ain't exactly waiting on tables or begging (well they are) for money. They are begging for your money (lots of it) for their benefit. Let’s look at the real welfare state before we pick on some homeless guy.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So far the most of the wealth redistribution has gone to the folks that controlled most of the money and the economy. the big bankers and investment managers collecting the buyout ain't exactly waiting on tables or begging (well they are) for money. They are begging for your money (lots of it) for their benefit. Let’s look at the real welfare state before we pick on some homeless guy.
That is true...and yet the Dems and Obama supported the bailout.

They must be evil rich capitalists too.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm a rich person. Everyone living in my neighborhood (bedecked with Obama/Biden signs at the moment) is a rich person. Most of the people I work and socialize with are rich persons. You must live in a very different area from me to be able to believe that no one has ever seen a rich person....
Some may even consider me wealthy -- then again, next to Warren Buffet I would hardly seem off of food stamps. In other words, wealth is relative. My point was that during a campaign noone - well, no voters - are considered 'the rich'. Don't worry! The money for these programs won't be coming out of your pocket -- the rich need to spread the wealth. The rich need to pay their fair share. Etc, Etc....
After the swearing in however, I think people will be surprised at who really is 'the rich'. Bill Gates? Barbra Streisand? Bono? I'm sure they have the best cpas money can hire to hide their cash. The rest of us? Not so much.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would never pick on a homeless guy, and I don't know any who would. Hell, the guy in the story gave the money to the homeless guy so he certainly benefitted.

As far as corporate welfare -- you are completely right! It stinks and I don't think the bailout is really going to help anything. If the ceos were so concerned they could have given back their last years bonuses made on a failing company.
But remember.....Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank were in love with the bailout, the publicly chided and scolded republicans for not signing the bailout. If you are as disgusted by this (and I mean both parties) it is past time to vote the incombants out!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
The experiment was completely inadequate from an objective point of view. To insinuate that this proposed redistribution would rob people of all of their earnings and hand it to homeless people is preposterous. Had the experiment been conducted properly, the waiter would have recieved a share. This sort of preposterous example simply perpetuates the public hysteria which is taking over our senses on a daily basis. At least be objective folks. Don't buy into this kind of rubbish. That being said I am not an advocate of redistribution. Rhetoric of this fashion is a blatant call for communism. The only form of redistribution I would call for would be higher wages for working men and women. Bring some of the enormous profits made by these multi billion dollar conglomerates back to the people. They are the ones who keep this country running and they deserved to be treated fairly.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
[quote=Reads2MUCH;5866730] Rhetoric of this fashion is a blatant call for communism. QUOTE]

Well, it looks like you finally figured Obama out...!!
Good work, now convince the rest of your epiphany

Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The freedom-loving, right-wing American would stiff the waiter alright, but then he would kick the homeless guy as he walked by. Maybe twice...once for Poor Decisionmaking® and once for lack of Personal Responsibility®...
Well, maybe the homeless guy should have been killed when he was an infant, since you advocated infanticide in one of your other posts. It's incredible to claim the moral high-ground with regard to homeless people, but then advocate infanticide.

Incredible.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
I don't feel like I will be more "wealthy" if Obama were to be president but I feel like his economic plan will is better.

Skipping to the Piccolo: Why Obama's tax plan works — even for Joe the Plumber

Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,059,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is true...and yet the Dems and Obama supported the bailout.

They must be evil rich capitalists too.
Not all Dems supported the bailout. Not all Repubs supported the bailout.
McCain also supported the bailout. Let's take a look back to when he [McCain] 'suspended' his campaing to be in Washington to help unite both parties to come to an agreement on the bailout in which he supported!!! Get your facts straight before you make such blanket comments as you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies