Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times

Advertisements

Isn't that interesting that THE most Liberal cities in the USA, you know the ones that tax the living daylights out of people and are supposed to be making "civic improvements" in their cities are also the ones with the WORST infrastructure?

Let's look at some examples:

New Orleans: The Levies in town got grant after grant from the Feds to have the Levies inspected and maintained. And yet this Liberal Democrat-controlled city somehow.... well lost some of the funding and then blamed the Federal government for it.

Minneapolis, MN: This is a super liberal town. St. Paul is even worse. They tax the living crap out of you and they don't even look at their bridges?? Sick! Oh of course, the bridge's collapse (which is legally owned and a responsibility of cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the State of Minnesota) get blamed on Bush and the Iraq war. Boy, I love the liberal line of thinking!!

New York City: One of the "bastions of Liberalism" in the Northeast has pipes blowing up because they are so old. Interesting how the city has been a liberal bastion for years, is now under the control of a billionary liberal nitwit named Michael Bloomberg and yet the city's infrastructre is crumbling. Where does the money for the maintenance goes? Oh yeah, it goes to lazy people who live of the city's social services, building a Madrassa for Muslim students, and housing projects! Way to go NYC!

Boston: This forever controlled Democrat and liberal state invested BILLIONS (read the word: BILLIONS, not millions) of Dollars in a project called "The Big Dig". It was never properly built, funds were stolen, contract awarded to liberal friends of Ted kennedy and that Communist mayor (I cannot remember his name, but he was the governor or MA for a while)... it collapsed. Typical!

Is it just a coincidence that liberal state's infrastructures are crumbling down?? I think not.

That is called corruption, incompetence, and mismanagement of funds in cities where they tax the living daylights out of you and yet they do NOTHING to their promisses of improving the city or whatever. They tax the heck out of you and the money... well it disappears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM

328 posts, read 1,034,308 times
Default POOF....Gone....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Isn't that interesting that THE most Liberal cities in the USA, you know the ones that tax the living daylights out of people and are supposed to be making "civic improvements" in their cities are also the ones with the WORST infrastructure?

New Orleans: The Levies in town got grant after grant from the Feds to have the Levies inspected and maintained. And yet this Liberal Democrat-controlled city somehow.... well lost some of the funding and then blamed the Federal government for it.

Minneapolis, MN: This is a super liberal town. St. Paul is even worse. They tax the living crap out of you and they don't even look at their bridges?? Sick! Oh of course, the bridge's collapse (which is legally owned and a responsibility of cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the State of Minnesota) get blamed on Bush and the Iraq war. Boy, I love the liberal line of thinking!!

New York City: One of the "bastions of Liberalism" in the Northeast has pipes blowing up because they are so old. Interesting how the city has been a liberal bastion for years, is now under the control of a billionary liberal nitwit named Michael Bloomberg and yet the city's infrastructre is crumbling. Where does the money for the maintenance goes? Oh yeah, it goes to lazy people who live of the city's social services, building a Madrassa for Muslim students, and housing projects! Way to go NYC!

Boston: This forever controlled Democrat and liberal state invested BILLIONS (read the word: BILLIONS, not millions) of Dollars in a project called "The Big Dig". It was never properly built, funds were stolen, contract awarded to liberal friends of Ted kennedy and that Communist mayor (I cannot remember his name, but he was the governor or MA for a while)... it collapsed. Typical!

Is it just a coincidence that liberal state's infrastructures are crumbling down?? I think not.

That is called corruption, incompetence, and mismanagement of funds in cities where they tax the living daylights out of you and yet they do NOTHING to their promisses of improving the city or whatever. They tax the heck out of you and the money... well it disappears!
Nirvanaguy.... so many people have been saying the same thing. SHOW ME WHERE THE MONEY IS...WHERE IS IT HIDDEN? The Twin Cities? Man listen they make Liberals look like storm troopers...Tax the crap put of you and give away the ranch....NYC? Please !!!!!! They are just plain blatant regarding their theivery of public funds...New Orleans...Probably the saddest of them all.....And "Liberals say that Bush doesn't care about those poor folk in the 9th Ward? Well my fine politically correct friends....The Liberal persuasion doesn't give a hoot about those poor folks...Who has done anything thus far....Bush!!!!! My entire life I have "Heard" how Liberals care for the downtrodden.... upon investigation they do less than conservatives do. It's all "Doo Doo Wap...We (conservatives) are all amazed but not amused by all the things you SAY(liberals) that you do." You talk a good game but rarely deliver................I agree nirvana-guy.
Spiritwalker

Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Where are the funds going???

How come liberal-controlled cities have all these civic/infrastructure major problems???

How come FL, which is now mostly run by Republicans can withstand hurricane after hurricane and the funds actually get the structural work done?

How can Conservatives manage their cities better with fewer funds than liberal, well-funded cities are collapsing???

How come funds just vanish from liberal cities and they don't usually disappear like that in Conservative cities??? Do the liberal funds end up in Freezers at the homes of Congressmen like that crook Jefferson (Democrat Congressman from New Orleans)??

Can anyone explain????

Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:

How come liberal-controlled cities have all these civic/infrastructure major problems???

How come FL, which is now mostly run by Republicans can withstand hurricane after hurricane and the funds actually get the structural work done?

How can Conservatives manage their cities better with fewer funds than liberal, well-funded cities are collapsing???

How come funds just vanish from liberal cities and they don't usually disappear like that in Conservative cities??? Do the liberal funds end up in Freezers at the homes of Congressmen like that crook Jefferson (Democrat Congressman from New Orleans)??

Can anyone explain????
Sure, first hand experience. Mayor comes out with a increase in city tax to improve our driving experience. People say, yeah howdy, finally going to get the pot holes fixed.

Pot holes are still there. but we have nice bronze statues at every corner to look at.

But people forget. 4 years before that, they added more tax to take care of streets. Same streets have the same problems after years.

They don't use the money to fix what they lead us to believe it was going to be fixing.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Interesting initial posting, but do these cities actually have tax money for maintenance which is separate from the state itself? Does Minneapolis have an income tax, or Boston or New York? Do the state laws specify which entity is responsible for bridge and roadway maintenance? Does the state take care of state highways, and local governments the local roads? How do counties fit into this picture?

What I'm really asking is does infrastructure maintenance and repair get funded from the state or local government? What is the relationship with the Federal Government here too, do they have specific roads, such as the interstate, for which they provide matching funds via the Dept of Transportation?

I think this needs to be better and more accurately understood before going into assumptions as to causes having political implications. I don't like to accuse folks before I have a better understanding of the financial structure.

Edit - My initial read on this is that the Army Corps of Engineering had the responsibility for the New Orleans Levy Projects, and were not constructing something for a storm as severe as Katrina:

FactCheck.org: Is Bush to Blame for New Orleans Flooding? (http://www.factcheck.org/article344.html - broken link)

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Interesting initial posting, but do these cities actually have tax money for maintenance which is separate from the state itself? Does Minneapolis have an income tax, or Boston or New York? Do the state laws specify which entity is responsible for bridge and roadway maintenance? Does the state take care of state highways, and local governments the local roads? How do counties fit into this picture?

What I'm really asking is does infrastructure maintenance and repair get funded from the state or local government? What is the relationship with the Federal Government here too, do they have specific roads, such as the interstate, for which they provide matching funds via the Dept of Transportation?

I think this needs to be better and more accurately understood before going into assumptions as to causes having political implications. I don't like to accuse folks before I have a better understanding of the financial structure.

Edit - My initial read on this is that the Army Corps of Engineering had the responsibility for the New Orleans Levy Projects, and were not constructing something for a storm as severe as Katrina:

FactCheck.org: Is Bush to Blame for New Orleans Flooding? (http://www.factcheck.org/article344.html - broken link)
Yes, all cities listed have very high property taxes, high sales taxes, and city income taxes.

And even if they did not, Louisiana has a Democratic liberal governor, NY has an ultra-liberal Democrat governor, and the same goes for Minnesota and Massachussets. I think Romney was the first GOP-Liberal governor in Massachussets, but it was the liberals who started The Big Dig.

Now the Democrat presidential contenders wnats Federal Funds to go to liberal cities that mismanage their state/couty/city funds.

Democrats debate infrastructure needs - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:

Can anyone explain????
Every city you mention save NYC is losing population as people determine they'd rather live where the weather is nicer. With the exception of New Orleans, all the cities are in the "Rust Belt", though with the amount of rain Louisiana gets, it's hardly an inappropriate moniker. Every industrial city has an aging infrastructure with lots of bridges, factories, etc. Newer cities' economies are more service-based and their infrastructures are not only less complex but built with newer technologies. Basically, you can't compare these cities to the new ones in the "Sun Belt" states.

These older well-established cities usually lean left of center (with very few exceptions, conservative Cincinnati comes to mind). One could easily argue that in old age, one wises up to reality. But to argue that the cause of dangerous infrastructure is due to liberals is astonishing. You are really reaching on this one, Nirvana-Guy. When everyone starts leaving the conservative cities, do you think they'll not raise taxes to cover the deficiency? Oh, wait, that's the liberals' fault and has nothing to do with economic survival.

When the time comes and the people of this country have to work together to survive, it's discouraging to see people so willing to place all the blame on the other people in the boat.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:

let me tear your mis-informed absurdities into reality:

NEW ORLEANS:..a bit of history...the city was a French one before being American...they built leeves that actually protected the city until the US took over. The US ARMY CORPS of ENGINEERS was and is responsible for building & maintaining the levees that surround greater New Orleans not the city itself. What has the CORPS done under BUSH? rebuild the leeves to pre Katrina levels knowing that another storm would destroy the city again.

Minneapolis, MN: It was an Interstate highway right? A highway funded through Federal tax dollars to initially build. The state was responsible for upkeep but truss bridges are known to have a very high redundancy failure. That is the fault of a liberal city or engineers?

New York City: It's a 400 year old plus city....**** doesn't break? The pipe was over 80 years old. Ever been to New York City? Most of the city's infrastructure is buried hundreds of feet deep and most of it works just fine for the most part.

Boston: The Big Dig...about the only thing I can agree with you on is the mismanagement of this project. The problem? Most of the public works projects done in the US are by private firms so Boston & the Feds should sue or jail them for screwing up.

Nirvana Guy your hatred for liberals obscures your objectivity. I can play the same game....lets see we are spending $10 billion a month in IRAQ and nothing works either...I'll take flooded New Orleans over a day in Baghdad...at least the liberals in the US aren't killing the conservatives!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
Lmao....over reaching???? I think this guy had to much redbull with vodka. This is pretty much garbage and fallacy. One bridge collapses and liberals are to blame. So what about San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, DC, and Atlanta??? How convenient you gloat about Republican lead city administrations with a tax bases coming from those retired Northeast-liberal cities.....You even go as far to claim that its Nagins/Blanco fault that the Army Corp of engineers levy system from the 1960's failure from a category 4-5 hurricane......

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Lmao....over reaching???? I think this guy had to much redbull with vodka. This is pretty much garbage and fallacy. One bridge collapses and liberals are to blame. So what about San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, DC, and Atlanta??? How convenient you gloat about Republican lead city administrations with a tax bases coming from those retired Northeast-liberal cities.....You even go as far to claim that its Nagins/Blanco fault that the Army Corp of engineers levy system from the 1960's failure from a category 4-5 hurricane......
Yes- it is all the evil liberals Cheney to me is an example of a horrible, greedy pig he is a VERY BAD image for repubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies