Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get a straight answer here. We make 250K a year and are already taxed at over 50% between Fed's City, State, Social Security,etc. We donate 10% to non profit organizations. (based on our gross) We claim married and 0 and we still pay even more every 15th. Now my question is, I went and looked up the old Clinton rates that Obama keeps referring to. He keeps saying that the tax rates are going back to that. If that is true, then my taxes are going up $15,500 a year. If Obama gets in and they let these tax cuts expire, that will cost us $124,000 for the 8 yrs. That's more then the "pitch in alittle more" as they keep saying. Talk about being penalized for going to college and going after the American Dream.

We just sold our home for 200K less then what we paid for it and we have lost 50% in our 401K's and yet the music from the jaws movie keeps playing in my head. They are starting to circle the tank.

Can someone tell me if this is what we are facing or am I missing something here?

Dreading Tuesday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Obama has said specifically that those tax cuts will expire.

It's how he gets away with saying "He" won't raise your taxes; however, they will raise when "He" doesn't renew the Bush tax cuts.

Also, please note that according to Obama, the middle class ends at $97,000, not the $250,000 he's famously quoted as saying.

YouTube - Obama & Biden redefinition of middle class

Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks, I'll watch the video. If you google Clinton VS Bush's tax rates you will see that even people making 40K will have their taxes almost double. People are being lead blindly into believing this man. We seriously are going to have to work part time jobs to pay that extra $1300 a month in taxes. Where does it all end?

With a Dem President, Dem Congress and Dem Senate, it is going to be a all out spending spree for them. They are destroying the ones that pay all the taxes in this country.

Thanks again for the video.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM

BBKaren~ That was a great Video! They left out Richardson now saying Obama is cutting taxes for those making lest than 120K.......it's going down fast.

I am just sick over this election. We are taxed at over 50% with the state, city, federal,etc. When will it stop? How much do they want from us??? UGH

Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
BBKaren~ That was a great Video! They left out Richardson now saying Obama is cutting taxes for those making lest than 120K.......it's going down fast.

I am just sick over this election. We are taxed at over 50% with the state, city, federal,etc. When will it stop? How much do they want from us??? UGH
McCain has been lying throughout this campaign. Relying on what McCain says about Obama's tax plan is hardly relying on an unbiased source.

Here's the information from Obama's website:

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Taxes

And from the Tax Policy Center (a nonpartisan center in D.C.):

TPC Tax Topics | 2008 Presidential Candidates' Tax Proposals

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
McCain has been lying throughout this campaign. Relying on what McCain says about Obama's tax plan is hardly relying on an unbiased source.
That'd be well and good, and you'd have a case if the video didn't have Obama and Biden themselves repeatedly redefining what they considered to be the maximum income of what they consider "middle class".

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Moving Forward, I guess you didn't read my post. I didn't mention McCain's name, I said Obama is going to raise my taxes if he gets in and asked someone if I was missing something. You're link did nothing but confirm to me how much more my taxes are going to go up.

Why is it that people can't ask a question without some Obama supporter stepping in , calls Mc Cain a liar and starting their nonsense. I have heard this nonsense for 2 yrs now and all I know is we are facing $1,300 less in our monthly budget, on top of the 120K we already pay each year in taxes. Please don't tell me that I am not paying my fair share and that I need to pay more.

Because we chose to go to college, we are now blessed with being in the group that is getting sucked dry by all the liberals.

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 11-02-2008 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Moving Forward, I guess you didn't read my post. I didn't mention McCain's name, I said Obama is going to raise my taxes if he gets in and asked someone if I was missing something. You're link did nothing but confirm to me how much more my taxes are going to go up.

Why is it that people can't ask a question without some Obama supporter stepping in , calls Mc Cain a liar and starting their nonsense. I have heard this nonsense for 2 yrs now and all I know is we are facing $1,300 less in our monthly budget, on top of the 120K we already pay each year in taxes. Please don't tell me that I am not paying my fair share and that I need to pay more.

Because we chose to go to college, we are now blessed with being in the group that is getting sucked dry by all the liberals.

Actually, Obama was going to potentially increase your taxes beyond the Clinton rates. Earlier in his campaign he was proposing to have social security taxes withheld from high wage earners, though as typical for Obama he wasn't specific as to threshold for withholding nor the rate.

Subsequently, he took that off the table. You may want to keep your eye on this issue if he wins, I suspect he would resurface it.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Your only choice is to support candidates for high office that want to reduce spending to lower your taxes. Or get a sneaky CPA.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,455 times
Im a financial adviser and the anser is yes and more. Actually, taxes will be least of your problems as Obama wants to change the entire way of living in this country and he can be appoint radical judges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies