Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

That was kind of the simplified version already. There is only one rule to the game. How long do you want to play? Is it fair if some people are allowed to play the game a lot longer than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
a flat tax is extremely regressive, unless there is a basic (cost of living) exemption . . . Maybe 35,000 per person per year? or unless there is a "necessity" expemption, you know, like 1200.00 per month per person for rent, 400.00 for food, 400.00 for transportation, 400.00 for utilities, maybe pro-rated for children under the age of 18. . . . . but with additions for education, etc. OH, medical, too. . . .
Now a great big tax on "luxury items", private planes, yachts, Mc Mansions, etc., would suit me fine!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Saganista,

I don't know how your game relates to what I said earlier. A flat sales tax would force rich people to continue to pay far more in taxes that someone of modest means. Secondly, the government would be out of the spying business on individual citizens. Finally, my game encourages national savings, and can be avoided as much as one wishes to do so. Play as much or as little as you like.

As I pointed out earlier, this flat sales tax would still be inherently unfair to the rich as they still would be forced to pay more than other citizens who use more services. No citizen should pay more to be a citizen than any other.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM

The first rule of tax policy is that you can only tax the money. Whoever has the money will pay the taxes. Then there are equity considerations to take into account. Taking $1,000 from a guy who makes $25,000 is different from taking $1,000 from a guy who makes $2,500,000. Taking 10% from a guy making $25,000 is different from taking 10% from a guy who makes $2,500,000. Taking $0 from a guy who makes $25,000 and $2,475,000 from a guy who makes $2,500,000 would leave them both with $25,000. That might be fair, but not many actually think so. So maybe you take $500 from the first guy, leaving him with $24,500. Maybe you take $900,000 from the second guy, leaving him with $1,600,000. Hmmm...

Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
That is sick, in my humble opinion. The government has no business confiscating the wealth of its citizens for any purpose other than stipulated in the constitution. Actually, any "income tax" is unconstitutional for that matter, but we as Americans haven't followed anything in that work since Lincoln, and later FDR, destroyed any aspects of its influence in this country.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Saganista, I don't know how your game relates to what I said earlier.
See if you can find any similarities between the game and a 10% flat tax.

Quote:
A flat sales tax would force rich people to continue to pay far more in taxes that someone of modest means.
A flat tax forces rich people to laugh all the way to the bank. At the expense of poor people.

Quote:
Secondly, the government would be out of the spying business on individual citizens.
You're disbanding all the Joint Terrorism Task Forces?

Quote:
Finally, my game encourages national savings, and can be avoided as much as one wishes to do so. Play as much or as little as you like.
Ordinary people already have plenty of incentives to save...what they don't have is any money to save. When only the rich can afford to save, only the rich benefit from saving.

Quote:
As I pointed out earlier, this flat sales tax would still be inherently unfair to the rich as they still would be forced to pay more than other citizens who use more services. No citizen should pay more to be a citizen than any other.
Do you imagine that all citizens benefit equally from government? Suppose that as a homeless person, I seek fire insurance on everything I own, namely my broken down shopping cart of stuff. What sort of premiums will I pay? Then suppose that as a rich person, I seek to insure everything I own, the 7-figure home, the artwork, the high-end furnishings. What sort of premiums would I pay then?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
The concept of 'merit' I think is lost on many with regard to this thread. If someone EARNS x amount of dollars, they should be able to keep more of it. They earned it, it's better off in the hands of a private citizen than in the hands of the government.

Federal government spending should be limited to military, courts and police. That's the way the founding fathers intended it to be.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
People still pay federal income taxes? LOL.

Offshore bank account for laundering purposes. Check
Give up US citizenship to become US national to get out of FICA taxes. Check
Convert fiat currency into items of real value. Check
Telling Uncle Sam and the Illuminati to **** off. Priceless

Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That is sick, in my humble opinion. The government has no business confiscating the wealth of its citizens for any purpose other than stipulated in the constitution. Actually, any "income tax" is unconstitutional for that matter, but we as Americans haven't followed anything in that work since Lincoln, and later FDR, destroyed any aspects of its influence in this country.
Ah. Another La-La-lander, then. The government has just as much right to insist upon payment for its provision of public goods and service as the supermarket does for its provision of groceries. Taxes on income, from whatever source derived, have been Constitutional since February 3, 1913. Get used to it already.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Federal government spending should be limited to military, courts and police. That's the way the founding fathers intended it to be.
If they had had any such an intention, they were certainly smart enough men to have found the words that would have said that. Instead, they wrote down, voted on, and adopted all those other words. What could they have been thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies