Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,079,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Stinky perfumes,colognes and sorry the lowly skunk too all have to go as well. Im offended, I will sue.
There are people who are "scent sensitive" and get severe headaches around colognes/perfumes. I went to a movie the other day and could smell someone's cologne when I entered the door at the bottom of the ramp. Sadly the ADULT person was sitting next to me, must have used a gallon of the stuff and I ended up with a headache even though I'm not all that sensitive really...

Usually it's a teen that's taken a bath in cologne, you know a little smells good so a LOT must be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 AM

37,217 posts, read 41,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not true. <bold> Just pointing out others have the same rights as you do...
Smoking in public is a privilege, not a right.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Smoking in public is a privilege, not a right.
Really, where exactly is that written?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Really, where exactly is that written?
http://www.publichealthlawcenter.org...ution-2008.pdf

"Since smoking is not a specially protected constitutional right, the Constitution does not bar the passage of local, state, or federal smoke-free laws and other restrictions on smoking."

Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
http://www.publichealthlawcenter.org...ution-2008.pdf

"Since smoking is not a specially protected constitutional right, the Constitution does not bar the passage of local, state, or federal smoke-free laws and other restrictions on smoking."
Following YOUR interpretation of that link then most of what you do on a daily basis is a privilege. Yes, WHERE people smoke can obviously be restricted BUT the act itself cannot otherwise (obviously) it would have been by now. The product is legal.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,677,814 times
Anyone else surprised the tobacco industry has not fought to get smoking bans overturned? If they are powerful and influential enough to keep their deadly product mostly unrestricted by Govt DEA, etc. surely they have enough pull to drop smoking bans.

** I talked to a rep from RJ Reynolds awhile back about how they go about attracting new customers, he claimed Ecigs are one way they are 'hooking' younger people, another way is the very bright colors and lighted display signs on the cigarette racks in stores, most all the cigarette brands employ bright, sometimes flashing, LED advertising signs on 'point of sale', they also have bright color strips designed to draw peoples eyes towards them. RJ Reynolds has a state of the art R&D facility in NC where they study this kind of thing.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM

8,315 posts, read 3,954,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What about that second hand smoke we must breathe when someone smokes in a public place?
"Second hand smoke" risks are way overblown. Plenty of us grew up in homes where wood, kerosene and coal were burned for fuel and most of us are doing just fine. Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose the indoor public place smoking laws because I don't like being around the smoke. But as far as "second hand smoke" being a serious health issue - I'm not convinced that the increased risk is statistically significant in comparison to other pollutants.

As far as being a "disgusting filthy habit" I find that to be pretty amusing. Human beings in general are disgusting and filthy. Smoking is one of a thousand stupid things that we do on a daily basis.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM

8,400 posts, read 4,398,867 times
If you dislike it now, you should have been around when you could smoke in restaurants, the work place including hospitals, and just about anywhere else you wanted to.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,651,402 times
Yes, you militant smokers crack me up. Sure, it’s your choice. Even when the facts are against your choice, It’s your body. I’ve known people like that and they are staunch supporters of smoking, UNTIL they get cancer. Then they want compassion. I don’t wish bad things on people. Just be aware. Your luck will run out one day unless you have really good genes. I’ve known a couple who’s husband was a chain smoker and the woman was a non smoker. Guess who got the cancer and died? The woman, from second hand smoke.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Following YOUR interpretation of that link then most of what you do on a daily basis is a privilege. Yes, WHERE people smoke can obviously be restricted BUT the act itself cannot otherwise (obviously) it would have been by now. The product is legal.
Yes, much of what we do is considered a privilege and can be regulated, from driving to practicing medicine.

Smoking in public is also a privilege. The sad thing is that it is totally unnecessary. Use another method to get your nicotine if you cannot abstain from smoking for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies