Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times

Advertisements

A Deltona woman has sued the Volusia County supervisor of elections, contending that, as a Puerto Rican, she should have been able to cast her vote in Spanish.

But county lawyers say her case is unfounded and point out that Spanish speakers are already offered assistance at Volusia County polling sites.

Crimilda Perez-Santiago, with the help of New York-based LatinoJustice PRLDEF, filed suit on Election Day because she said she had trouble understanding the ballot, particularly the state constitutional amendments.

Last week, the county filed a motion to dismiss the case, pointing out that Volusia does not meet a federal threshold of English-limited citizens that requires the county to print ballots in a foreign language. The motion also stressed other efforts the county makes, such as hiring bilingual poll workers and offering nearly all elections materials in Spanish.

Woman sues over lack of Spanish ballot -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-lawsuit2608nov26,0,1196051.story - broken link)

Is it any wonder that Puerto Rico, sucked prior to America annexing them to the US? Why don't all of the spanish speaking whiney, ingrates who refuse to learn English but want to suck the US tax payers dry simply unite and form one giant "spanish only" poverty stricken cesspool and get the hell out of this country? It's obvious that they seem to think the primary language of the US is not good enough for them and they are happier and far more comfortable speaking spanish and living like 3rd world pigs in slop.

Unfortunately for America she is not eligible for deportation.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-28-2008 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,993 times
Is this about immigration or about a gripe with a Puerto Rican(PR is an American territory)?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Is this about immigration or about a gripe with a Puerto Rican(PR is an American territory)?
Had you read my comments (or maybe your comprehension skills aren't up to speed), you would realize that you were telling me what I already know: Puerto Rico is a territory of the US. Not only would you have saved yourself from eating that big of ole slice of humble pie you also could have saved your sarcastic remark for future use when it was actually justifiable.

As for the your question with regards to the subject matter? DM the moderator, he's the decider.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-28-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Had you read my comments (or maybe your comprehension skills aren't up to speed), you would realize that you were telling me what I already know: Puerto Rico is a territory of the US. Not only would you have saved yourself from eating that big of ole slice of humble pie you also could have saved your sarcastic remark for future use when it was actually justifiable.

As for the your question with regards to the subject matter? DM the moderator, he's the decider.
No sarcasm needed. This is a post about a Latino-American in an immigration forum. Speaks for itself.
I would heartily recommend this for the Politics forum, because it's a good topic, but wrongly placed here.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,442,306 times
Quote:

Some people respond to comments without even reading the issue to which they're responding to.
Without mentioning names, those who respond to this post in a opposing reaction are most likely to be the guilty party.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-28-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Some people respond to comments without even reading the issue to which they're responding to.
Without mentioning names, those who respond to this post in a negative reaction are most likely to be the guilty party.
Wow, real smart sounding post there.
Please explain to me how this is related to immigration, Mk.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Without mentioning names, those who respond to this post in a opposing reaction are most likely to be the guilty party.
Agreed. The same can be said about those who deliberately make suggestions about a post when you have already provided the solution to their problem. They take a post that you have already responded to and create a new sentence structure surrounding the same subject in the hopes that you are dumb enough to waste your time responding repetitively. It reminds me of when my son was 3 years old and knew that he was not allowed to have candy after 6 pm. Yet if I was eating a candy bar after 6 pm, he would ask me for a piece of that candy several times as if the number of times he harrassed me would result in a different response or outcome. Guess who won vs. who ended up frustrated, every single time?

There are posters on this board that remind me of my son when he was 3 years old. Not sure if theirs is an illegal alien embedded trait or if it's an embedded chip that does not allow them to deviate from the script.

I'm happy that my son (unlike others) didn't carry his 3 year old mentality into adulthood.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-28-2008 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 AM

956 posts, read 3,003,655 times
Quote:
Why don't all of the spanish speaking whiney, ingrates who refuse to learn English but want to suck the US tax payers dry simply unite and form one giant "spanish only" poverty stricken cesspool and get the hell out of this country?
Because they're stuck in us like a bad BM, and our PC culture needs to gather the courage to eat a big Ex-lax bar.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Because they're stuck in us like a bad BM, and our PC culture needs to gather the courage to eat a big Ex-lax bar.
Dead on analogy. Rep points coming your way.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,718,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Correct, antialphabet

However, having lived in Puerto Rico for a few years, due to their relationship with the United States and heavy dependency on tourism, I can assure you that anyone intelligent enough to vote SPEAKS ENGLISH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies